• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ain't Insurance Grand?

Isn't insurance kinda like you're betting you will have an accident and the insurance is taking that bet saying, no you won't? And went you don't have an accident, they win and get to keep your money? :dunno

Isn't insurance kinda like you're betting you will have an accident and the insurance is taking that bet saying, no you won't? And went you don't have an accident, they win and get to keep your money? :dunno

Yes, that is true in a way, provided a person has sufficient money not to miss it if there is a loss not covered by insurance.

Pretty much that's it, other than life insurance--which is a game where you win if you lose, and lose if you win. And taken to the level the financial planners would have you go, you end up afraid to eat at home or sleep at night...

Best,
DG

Yes, that is true in a way, provided a person has sufficient money not to miss it if there is a loss not covered by insurance.
Even if you only have liability (covers the other party's loss) you can incur big expenses. In my state minimum required property damage is $10K. Imagine tipping over someone else's K1600 and the insurance totals it. If you only have the minimum, the remaining $6K or $10K or whatever comes out of YOUR pocket. How about if you're determined to be at fault when you T-bone a Mercedes? Can you afford that? Same with medical liability - it's only $15K per person, $30K total, in my state. Doesn't take much to eat that up: an ambulance ride, ER visit, and 2 days in the hospital and the insurance is exhausted and you're on the hook for the balance.

If all you have is the state required minimum liability, look at your policy and see if the coverage limits make sense in light of real-world costs.

Even if you only have liability (covers the other party's loss) you can incur big expenses. In my state minimum required property damage is $10K. Imagine tipping over someone else's K1600 and the insurance totals it. If you only have the minimum, the remaining $6K or $10K or whatever comes out of YOUR pocket. How about if you're determined to be at fault when you T-bone a Mercedes? Can you afford that? Same with medical liability - it's only $15K per person, $30K total, in my state. Doesn't take much to eat that up: an ambulance ride, ER visit, and 2 days in the hospital and the insurance is exhausted and you're on the hook for the balance.

If all you have is the state required minimum liability, look at your policy and see if the coverage limits make sense in light of real-world costs.

So, is it better to have a poor neighbor, who can't afford insurance, but may hit me or a rich neighbor with an expensive car, which I may hit? :scratch

All a real consideration... The insurance seems to feed on insurance. Lets say you have a vehicle worth 100K, you have insurance for the value, you need insurance for someone underinsured in case they total it on you. As the "other" driver, you need insurance to cover an accident involving a 100K vehicle. It's sort of a lot of insurance on one 100K vehicle....that you may or may not own.
OM

Back