Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ain't Insurance Grand?

The Victory Vision had it right

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger73 View Post
    The Victory Vision had it right
    My 2012 Gold Wing does the same thing (Google "Victory Vision tip over" and watch the you tube video).

That level of protection should come right from the factory on any brand touring motorcycle!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

A good friend of mine replaced several left side mirrors when his 'wing would roll off the kick stand. Been many years ago

A good friend of mine replaced several left side mirrors when his 'wing would roll off the kick stand. Been many years ago
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't

Cool

Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Isn't insurance kinda like you're betting you will have an accident and the insurance is taking that bet saying, no you won't? And went you don't have an accident, they win and get to keep your money?

Quote Originally Posted by r184 View Post
    Isn't insurance kinda like you're betting you will have an accident and the insurance is taking that bet saying, no you won't? And went you don't have an accident, they win and get to keep your money?
    Yes, that is true in a way, provided a person has sufficient money not to miss it if there is a loss not covered by insurance.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by r184 View Post
    Pretty much that's it, other than life insurance--which is a game where you win if you lose, and lose if you win. And taken to the level the financial planners would have you go, you end up afraid to eat at home or sleep at night...

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Yes, that is true in a way, provided a person has sufficient money not to miss it if there is a loss not covered by insurance.
    Even if you only have liability (covers the other party's loss) you can incur big expenses. In my state minimum required property damage is $10K. Imagine tipping over someone else's K1600 and the insurance totals it. If you only have the minimum, the remaining $6K or $10K or whatever comes out of YOUR pocket. How about if you're determined to be at fault when you T-bone a Mercedes? Can you afford that? Same with medical liability - it's only $15K per person, $30K total, in my state. Doesn't take much to eat that up: an ambulance ride, ER visit, and 2 days in the hospital and the insurance is exhausted and you're on the hook for the balance.

If all you have is the state required minimum liability, look at your policy and see if the coverage limits make sense in light of real-world costs.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Even if you only have liability (covers the other party's loss) you can incur big expenses. In my state minimum required property damage is $10K. Imagine tipping over someone else's K1600 and the insurance totals it. If you only have the minimum, the remaining $6K or $10K or whatever comes out of YOUR pocket. How about if you're determined to be at fault when you T-bone a Mercedes? Can you afford that? Same with medical liability - it's only $15K per person, $30K total, in my state. Doesn't take much to eat that up: an ambulance ride, ER visit, and 2 days in the hospital and the insurance is exhausted and you're on the hook for the balance.

If all you have is the state required minimum liability, look at your policy and see if the coverage limits make sense in light of real-world costs.
    So, is it better to have a poor neighbor, who can't afford insurance, but may hit me or a rich neighbor with an expensive car, which I may hit?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post

All a real consideration... The insurance seems to feed on insurance. Lets say you have a vehicle worth 100K, you have insurance for the value, you need insurance for someone underinsured in case they total it on you. As the "other" driver, you need insurance to cover an accident involving a 100K vehicle. It's sort of a lot of insurance on one 100K vehicle....that you may or may not own.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200