• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle Pull Behind

dennis50

Has anyone been pulling a trailer? I just purchased a Third Wheel Trailer with a hitch that was made for my R1150RT. Any ideas to stop a wobble at highway speed. So far I have been testing with a 50 pound bag of softener salt. My goal is to haul basic camping equipment for wife and I. Riding solo wobble started at about 72 mph. Riding 2 up wobble started at 75 mph. The placement of bag did affect handling. With the bag of placed as far forward as possible the wobble came on later. Any ideas? Are my expectations of travelling at highway speed unrealistic? Thanks for any thoughts shared about this.

Has anyone been pulling a trailer? I just purchased a Third Wheel Trailer with a hitch that was made for my R1150RT. Any ideas to stop a wobble at highway speed. So far I have been testing with a 50 pound bag of softener salt. My goal is to haul basic camping equipment for wife and I. Riding solo wobble started at about 72 mph. Riding 2 up wobble started at 75 mph. The placement of bag did affect handling. With the bag of placed as far forward as possible the wobble came on later. Any ideas? Are my expectations of travelling at highway speed unrealistic? Thanks for any thoughts shared about this.

My one wheel trailer (not a Third Wheel) has a slight wobble when touring, although I do not feel it while riding. However, on my last trip, the tire became unsealed from the the rim, resulting in a need for a new tire. The installer at the shop, rode a Gold Wing with a trailer, and his assessment of my tire problem was failure to balance the tire. I had always been told that a small tire did not need balancing. Took the new tire/wheel to a local Honda shop where it was balanced.

Currently the trailer is out being re-wired (the deflated tire burned though the wiring in the fender). I am keen on taking the trailer out on the highway to see if the balancing of the tire will eliminate the wobble.

If your tire is not balanced, it may eliminate your wobble.

In the past I also experimented with different tire pressures. Too much tire pressure can also cause a wobble that is felt on the bike. I believe that a Third Wheel Trailer's tire pressure is around 25 pounds.

Let us know what works for you.

I tow a Unigo with a R1150GS
I had to build a damper and extended the hitch 6" to eliminate the high speed wobble.
I try to keep my speed below 80mph when passing, dirty air will start the wobble.

A balanced tire at the the correct pressure and tight hitch components are essential.
Loading the trailer with the heavy stuff on the bottom helps immensely as well.

Last edited:
Since Third Wheel Trailer is in my neighbourhood (they wired and setup the hitches for my bikes and my Armoric trailer), I called Juan the owner today and asked what the correct tire pressure was for his trailers. Answer; 20-22 psi.

Cheers!

Uni-Go on a 1992 K1100LT: never a wobble. Only hint of one was when I loaded the trailer but the bike was light. Tail tended to wag the dog. Have had bike at 100mph loaded and two up with no wobble. Over 40,000 miles on the thing and still performs great. Make sure that no play exists in system. Also, one wheel trailer require a very solid hitch assemble. Check chinch bolting and alignment. - Bob

Since Third Wheel Trailer is in my neighbourhood (they wired and setup the hitches for my bikes and my Armoric trailer), I called Juan the owner today and asked what the correct tire pressure was for his trailers. Answer; 20-22 psi.

Cheers!

Uni-Go is 30lbs. 20-22 seems a tad low IMO. Maybe the distance from the hitch influences pressure? - Bob

Uni-Go is 30lbs. 20-22 seems a tad low IMO. Maybe the distance from the hitch influences pressure? - Bob

Possibly. Third Wheel uses the same tire as the Unigo if my memory is correct.

My Armoric trailer runs best at 32psi.

As stated by GS Addict, keeping the weight low with a good per cent at the front of the trailer will reduce wobble.

Back