• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT engine failure

r2frame

Art-Vt & Costa Rica
Last week my 2006 R1200RT suffered total engine failure while cruising at 73 mph on Rt91 in central Vermont

It was the first ride of the season after an oil change.

Shop is telling me that this type of cylinder failure is a known issue but I'm not finding any such info online

Bike has 20000 miles on it

Last edited:
Not a known issue that I have ever heard of.
Please define "total engine failure" - what component(s) of the engine have failed?

Last week my 2006 R1200RT suffered total engine failure while cruising at 73 mph on Rt91 in central Vermont

Shop is telling me that this type of cylinder failure is a known issue but I'm not finding any such info online

"First ride after oil change" and "total engine failure" might possibly be related. Was "cylinder failure is a known issue" uttered by the same shop that did the oil change?

Check out the FPC or Fuel Pump threads. There is one recall issue and other fuel failures that do happen to some bikes due to corrosion. Also a bypass cable can be used to get moving again until parts arrive. Often this failure results in a tow. Mine failed on an expressway at 120 Kph... pretty much as yours did.

Edit: Assuming the bike 'just stopped running'.

Last edited:
"Total engine failure" is a very vague phrase.

Did the engine explode into a million pieces, a rod come through the side, many nasty noises and lots of smoke and oil everywhere?

Or, did it just stop running ... with none of the above?

Some of the early 1200 bikes had cylinder wall failure with the Nikasil surface fracturing. I think this was mostly the early R1200GS bikes but am not positive it was restricted to GS engines.

So what really failed - or doesn't the OP or dealer know?

He mentioned the right cylinder. There were right cylinder failures (piston seizing, I think) in the very early years of the R1200. I haven't head of that issue for ten years.

I can hardly get past your bike has 20K miles and is 11 years old. Is that right?

Too little riding is probably not the cause.

I just wonder if the same people who are telling you the engine is known for doing this, are the same ones who drained the oil...and may have caused the problem. I wouldn't put it past them to try covering up that the drain plug or filter wasn't tightened enough and the oil drained out as you rode.

Chris

Too little riding is probably not the cause.

I just wonder if the same people who are telling you the engine is known for doing this, are the same ones who drained the oil...and may have caused the problem. I wouldn't put it past them to try covering up that the drain plug or filter wasn't tightened enough and the oil drained out as you rode.

Chris

Generally you notice that sort of thing since the rear tire isn't known for sticking well when covered in oil (DAMHIK.. I just do..)

We need more info from the OP before we can make informed interwebz guesses on the cause.

We need more info from the OP before we can make informed interwebz guesses on the cause.[/QUOTE]

Oh come on now. It is more fun to speculate what happened and come up with a solution based on the speculation. Who needs facts !!!! :dance

Roger L

Back