• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1970 R75/5 #2970531 Restoration

My recommendation would be to get a baseline servicing completed, get it running and enjoy. I own an un-restored, original 1973 R75/5 for my daily rider. These /5's are wonderful motorbikes when you learn to handle and adapt to some of the primitive limitations. I see your bike has the original silver-turned-to-gold intake tubes, a fine and rare detail. If it has the 64/32/9&10 Bing carburetors, you have a well sorted machine on your hands. It's a thing of beauty. I am sure Lew would agree.

Ah,...I see it has the 2 screw dome topped Bing carbs. You will have no trouble with them, but not original in the purist sense. I recently bought a 1971 R75/5 with those carbs. They can be made to run just fine on your 750. If the bike has had regular service, they are almost certainly well sorted.

Hi James, thanks for the post. I didn't realize the original silver turned-to-gold intake tubes were a desirable thing .... I learned something already. So do you think my carbs are not original to the bike? I must say you are all having an influence on my approach to this machine. Thinking .....

The suggestion that I post a couple pictures of the R 75/5 in its current state made me think a little about the bike pictures I like to see posted. Its nice to see super clean original bikes, restored ones, the different colors, and of course the enjoyed bike that shows its history of enjoyment and service.

One of my favorite posts here has been Brooke Reams and his documentation of his projects, I cannot even come close to duplicating his educational value.

I really like the "barn find" and "rescue" pictures and short stories about the find and rescue efforts. I'll make some time this weekend to get a few snap shots of it and post them.

Interesting, I found an answer to a question I didn't know had been bugging me for a while.

Great .... looking forward to your post!!!

A few questions

Does anyone know if the rubber surrounding the tool tray is available somewhere? And the seat hinges .... is the original finish cad plated?

Attachments

• Tool Tray.jpg
    Tool Tray.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 171
So do you think my carbs are not original to the bike?

According to the Bing book, the carbs look like Type 64-3 which James pointed out has two screws to hold the dome onto the carb body. The original would have been Type 64 with four screws. The carb numbers would give it away. James said 64/32/9 or /10 would in the right range...could also be /1-/2 or /3-/4. If it's much bigger, then the carbs are for another model. Not to say they won't work provide the internals are set up to resemble /5 carb settings.

FWIW I have 2970304 I think. A few hundred earlier, made in November '69.

My future brother in law and I were going to buy this bike together to fix and flip, back in '04, and I decided I wanted to keep it so I bought it. It was running on one cylinder, and the owner said he rode with his daughter up and down the street every now and then. I think he never knew how it felt with both cylinders firing, because by the look of the LH carb it had been a LONG time since it had atomized fuel. The transmission was stuck in one gear, the seat was trash, and I'm sure the tires were also. No pinstripes on the tank, so I guess it was a repaint.

I fixed the trans, overhauled the carbs, did whatever else I needed to do and it was a very nice runner. 2.91 final, extra heavy flywheel and a few other details give it away as a very early bike. It now has a 5-speed and I'd like to swap in a later clutch and starter, but it's just not a priority.

Years later, some guys were doing some utility work at the bottom of our yard and I was talking to them about the motorcycles they saw around. Yeah, their buddy had a BMW that he might want to sell. What's his name? Oh, he doesn't have that bike any more, it's up in my garage. :)

It's a super pleasant bike to ride at around 70~75 MPH. Glassy smooth. And it cleans up very nicely. I don't want to restore it further.

OK, hijack off. I just have a weakness for these.

5la5h.jpg

BMW could easily have folded on motorcycle development and production back in the late 1960's. My hats off to that small group of engineers and design team that did the fine work to to bring the /5 into being. We have the bikes we now have due to their diligence to keep it going. Thx much Guys. :thumb:thumb

Carbs 64/32/313 and /314 are listed for an R75/6. Just about all of the jet/needle sizes are different than say the /9/10 carbs.

More progress today. This bike is responding so well to cleaning I may stop disassembling at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 274
FWIW I have 2970304 I think. A few hundred earlier, made in November '69

This is so cool, yep yours just 'a few' earlier. It looks like mine was built in December of '69.

I thought these had a VIN plate with rivets, only a decal here .... is this correct?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1ff2.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1ff2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 270
According to the Bing book, the carbs look like Type 64-3 which James pointed out has two screws to hold the dome onto the carb body. The original would have been Type 64 with four screws. The carb numbers would give it away. James said 64/32/9 or /10 would in the right range...could also be /1-/2 or /3-/4. If it's much bigger, then the carbs are for another model. Not to say they won't work provide the internals are set up to resemble /5 carb settings.

About the carbs; the 9-10 carbs on my '73 are the ones installed when I bought it in 1989. No reason to believe they are not originals. I have also seen 9&10's on R75/6's. The 64/32/1&2 or 3&4 are earlier models and thought to be defective in airhead lore. On this 1971 R75/5 I recently picked up, there is a set of 3&4's in the extra parts boxes that came with it. I am confident that there is a good reason they are in a box apart from the bike. This '71 runs very well with the 2 screw, dome top Bings. I will check thru the service record to see when the previous owner did the change. He is one of our Airheads members from Illinois, and owned that bike since 1987.

I suppose the question to the original poster would be just how original do you want it, and at what cost?, in terms of both expense and performance?

About the carbs; the 9-10 carbs on my '73 are the ones installed when I bought it in 1989. No reason to believe they are not originals. I have also seen 9&10's on R75/6's. The 64/32/1&2 or 3&4 are earlier models and thought to be defective in airhead lore. On this 1971 R75/5 I recently picked up, there is a set of 3&4's in the extra parts boxes that came with it. I am confident that there is a good reason they are in a box apart from the bike. This '71 runs very well with the 2 screw, dome top Bings. I will check thru the service record to see when the previous owner did the change. He is one of our Airheads members from Illinois, and owned that bike since 1987.

I suppose the question to the original poster would be just how original do you want it, and at what cost?, in terms of both expense and performance?

Interesting information James, thanks for sharing! My bike currently has other non-original parts on it so doesn't really matter to me either way. Seems to run good as is, so I'll keep them. Interesting though, I was just looking at this bike ... see below. Nice early /5 bike that sold last year (for cheap if you ask me), was built about a year latter than mine and looks to have similar carbs ... was on the show circuit too.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-bmw-r755-motorcycle/

Attachments

• IMG_7705-620x413.jpg
    IMG_7705-620x413.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_7719-620x413.jpg
    IMG_7719-620x413.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 236
For all practical purposes, the 9 and 10 are the original carbs for that bike. If you need a time capsule you could put the 3/4 on, with their funky spring-loaded chokes and so forth but they were replaced by the 9/10 early on, as in when they were current models or maybe when the /6 came out. There's a reason pretty much every R75/5 has them. My November '69 bike had them.

FWIW I have a '74 R75/6 in the shop with 9/10, a '74 R90/6 with 11/12, and a '76 R75/6 with 13/14. Just to give you an idea when those carbs were introduced.

Here is my 47 year old tool kit. Looks like it has served well all those years. Do they sell replacement pouches/bags somewhere?

Attachments

• IMG_3490.jpg
    IMG_3490.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 220
  • fullsizeoutput_1ff4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1ff4.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 222
Back