• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2011 R1200GS What is the best replacement seat?

Hi....I am going to ride my 2011 R1200GS around Lake Superior in September.
I definitely need a better seat for long distance riding and comfort.
Can I please get some recommendations from others on replacement seats that have proven to be a big upgrade.
Thanks very much,
Dave Arundel

Nothing you could get by September, but for me I haven't looked past Russell for decades. Every time I buy a motorcycle, Russell sells a seat.

DSC05693-M.jpg

Thanks....

Thanks Lee...wow does that look comfortable.
The stock seat is like sitting on a brick!
I will check into Russell.
Again...thanks.

Seat replacement

My 2012 GS wins the prize for the worst BMW OEM seat, I've owned. All my BMW's seats have been simply awful. I replaced the GS seat with a Sargeant, better but not great. A Russell Daylong on 07 R12R was the best of aftermarket seats I've had, but the process is rather time consuming. I suspect their are owners that just love the stock seat, but they would be in the minority. You'd think BMW would be able accomplish developing a seat that is reasonably comfortable.......

Cheap alternative

Hi....I am going to ride my 2011 R1200GS around Lake Superior in September.
I definitely need a better seat for long distance riding and comfort.
Can I please get some recommendations from others on replacement seats that have proven to be a big upgrade.
Thanks very much,
Dave Arundel

I have use the AirHawk R for the last 6 years, can ride for 14 h with no sore a....
Very cheap compared to a complete seat replacement, can be switched from bike to bike.
I use one for the pilion too, she loves it!
Did the Lake Superior trip, I enjoyed the north side and Duluth most, I think you will too. Have a nice one!

..You'd think BMW would be able accomplish developing a seat that is reasonably comfortable.......

They used to crack me up by putting an uncomfortable seat on an expensive motorcycle, and then offering the option of an extra cost "Comfort Seat". Then it turns out the the "Comfort Seat" is also uncomfortable.

I think they were the original Eisenhintern.

I bought an airhawk

Thanks for all the advice.
I bought an Airhawk and will test it out this weekend!
Again...thanks,
Dave A

I'm another huge fan of RDL. They are expensive. I have never rode with a more comfortable seat though, I could barely stand the stock GS seat after 100 miles, and with this seat it is truly all day comfort. I do wish you didn't have to give up your stock seat pans. But in the end it was the answer I was looking for.

IMG_0336-L.jpg

The best aftermarket seat is the one that fits your butt and riding style. As others have mentioned, the Russell is a very comfy seat for most...on the road. If you do any offroad exploring, those huge wings can be a hindrance when trying to shift your weight back for steep downhill sections (unless you are seriously bowlegged). With that one exception, the Russell won in the cross-country paved roads category.

After trying several (Sargent, Corbin, Russell) I ended up with a Bill Mayer on my GSA sidecar rig, and a Kahedo by Touratech on the GSA used for exploring back roads. But all of them were better than stock.

Pete

Seat concepts. I've had mine for over a year now. And never had a sore ass since. They are a lot cheaper in price Then the big name seat makers. You can send your seat to them or order your kit and do it your self. Great service and great people too.............JD

Seat concepts. I've had mine for over a year now. And never had a sore ass since. They are a lot cheaper in price Then the big name seat makers. You can send your seat to them or order your kit and do it your self. Great service and great people too.............JD

Link?

I'm on my 2nd Sargent seat for an Adventure - simple, clean, and a fair price. You don't have to sacrifice your seat to get one made, and I find them very comfortable for the long haul.

I've been pretty happy with Sargents.
Have a low on my 2010 GS and it's decent.
Same goes for other BMWs that I've owned.

Gotta say, aesthetically, I never have been able to warm up in the least to those type customs that are pictured here in this thread.
To my mind's eye, they look terrible. Sorry fellas, no offense... and pretty is as pretty does. I get that.

And, they almost always look to be super stuffed. Much higher than even a normal height BMW seat.. I'm usually looking for a lower seat for better footing, but that's my own unfortunate genetic reality.

I'd like to ride one for a long day and see just what the rave reviews are all about.

For me, the added height alone, not to mention the appearance, disqualifies them.

shortstuff

Gotta say, aesthetically, I never have been able to warm up in the least to those type customs that are pictured here in this thread.
To my mind's eye, they look terrible. Sorry fellas, no offense... and pretty is as pretty does. I get that.

I'd like to ride one for a long day and see just what the rave reviews are all about.

I'm not going to disagree with you. :laugh

There was a time I thought GS's were ugly. They grew on me. I bought one, then another when I upgraded to the wethead. I thought the RDL's were kind of ugly. They grew on me. And then I bought one. When I first installed it I thought to myself "what did I do"... And then I put some miles on it.

I'm still smiling. So's my butt. After a long day on the saddle I now look at the bike and seat and see nothing but pure beauty. :beer

Russell Day long fan here as well. Tried the Sargent, much better than stock but I still had some discomfort on longer multi day trips. Sent the stock seat in to Russell over the winter a few years ago and had them rebuild it. No comparison. Two weeks of relatively long days everyday and I was always comfortable. I think the ultimate would be to book a ride in appointment with Russell where they can customize it while you are there. Ended up letting the Sargent go with the old GS when I sold it.

I have a 2009 GS, it came with a sergeant seat. I loved the sergeant on my 2002rs, but this one is not right for me. I think it is a low, I have asked Sergeant how to tell, when I know it will be for sale. Undecided on new brand. No stock pan so seat concepts is out.

Has anyone tried Saddleman? The gel interests me.

Rod

Saddleman

Adventure track a fine seat. Used on my tiger 800. But if sitting in sun all day it will be hot! Can be alleviated by placing a light colored towel over seat.

+3 on the Russell Day Long. I have owned three of them and will never go back. Any bike i get in the future will also be converted to an RDL.

I'm considering getting a Seat Concepts kit for my 2008 R1200GSA.
What cover options did you choose ? And how is it holding up so far ?

Carbon Fiber / Gripper Top
All Carbon Fiber
All Black Vinyl
Embossed Top

I'm leaning towards the Gripper Top. Might prevent me from sliding around on the seat.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks,
Dave

Back