Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2011 R1200GS What is the best replacement seat?

Russell Day long fan here as well. Tried the Sargent, much better than stock but I still had some discomfort on longer multi day trips. Sent the stock seat in to Russell over the winter a few years ago and had them rebuild it. No comparison. Two weeks of relatively long days everyday and I was always comfortable. I think the ultimate would be to book a ride in appointment with Russell where they can customize it while you are there. Ended up letting the Sargent go with the old GS when I sold it.

I have a 2009 GS, it came with a sergeant seat. I loved the sergeant on my 2002rs, but this one is not right for me. I think it is a low, I have asked Sergeant how to tell, when I know it will be for sale. Undecided on new brand. No stock pan so seat concepts is out.

Has anyone tried Saddleman? The gel interests me.

Rod

Saddleman

Adventure track a fine seat. Used on my tiger 800. But if sitting in sun all day it will be hot! Can be alleviated by placing a light colored towel over seat.
    'I'm funky now in every way".
    2011 R1200RT
    2015 Ducati Multistrada
    2013 Honda CRF250L

+3 on the Russell Day Long. I have owned three of them and will never go back. Any bike i get in the future will also be converted to an RDL.
    05 R1200RT
    Duragloss, Sidi, Russell, Olympia, Arai
    Sonor Signature Series (no longer made thanks to AMF buying Sonor)
    These are a few of my favorite things ...

Quote Originally Posted by jddiesel View Post
    Seat concepts. I've had mine for over a year now. And never had a sore ass since. They are a lot cheaper in price Then the big name seat makers. You can send your seat to them or order your kit and do it your self. Great service and great people too.............JD
    I'm considering getting a Seat Concepts kit for my 2008 R1200GSA.
    What cover options did you choose ? And how is it holding up so far ?

Carbon Fiber / Gripper Top
    All Carbon Fiber
    All Black Vinyl
    Embossed Top

I'm leaning towards the Gripper Top. Might prevent me from sliding around on the seat.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524
    Past Bikes: BMW F650CS (for sale)

I have a Seat Concepts on my 09 GSA and really like it. My sargent sits on a shelf now.

I have black vinyl. I wouldn't get a gripper. Or at least not on the top. It is great on an dirt bike or a dual sport that is ridden offroad a lot, but I've found it grabs your clothes and causes them to bunch up, creating uncomfortable spots (chaffing, monkey butt...). If only on the sides it might help with standing/offroad, but still leave you comfortable when sitting and not squeezing the seat a lot.
    Rusty
    Austin, TX
    Two Wheeled Texans
    2009 R1200GSA 2013 K1600GT

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbutcher View Post
    I have a Seat Concepts on my 09 GSA and really like it. My sargent sits on a shelf now.

I have black vinyl. I wouldn't get a gripper. Or at least not on the top. It is great on an dirt bike or a dual sport that is ridden offroad a lot, but I've found it grabs your clothes and causes them to bunch up, creating uncomfortable spots (chaffing, monkey butt...). If only on the sides it might help with standing/offroad, but still leave you comfortable when sitting and not squeezing the seat a lot.

Thanks for your input Woodbutcher! I do 99.9% street riding with very little off road. So by judging the photo's at Seat Concepts, the Gripper looked pretty rough and I assumed it would not be a good choice for street riding.

Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524

have had mine for over a year now and cant complian about it. 18000 miles now and have not had a sore rear end. they have a lot of cover options to chose from.......JD
    R2007 R1200RT
    3 More years to freedom Retirement LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jddiesel View Post
    have had mine for over a year now and cant complian about it. 18000 miles now and have not had a sore rear end. they have a lot of cover options to chose from.......JD

Thanks jd for your input! I think I'll get one after the holidays and make it my winter project.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave
    2008 1200GSA
    MOA# 213524