Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Summer Rants & Pet Peeves

We have a real problem here with people who merge onto the highway, then accelerate, rather than using the on ramp for its intended purpose to accelerate then merge. The reverse problem is also true for many drivers exiting the highway. They will decelerate in the highway lane, then exit, rather than use the mile long exit lane for its intended purpose.
    ~Jason

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Finding a nice twisty stretch of road only to be stuck behind a long gaggle of H-D riders riding their trundle-busses in formation 10mph below the limit and braking for every corner. Nary a head turn in the bunch, an easy observation given their helmetless heads.

Best,
    DG
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

Several years ago I was riding in the mountains when I came upon a Harley parade. When I could safely pass I would . . . one or two at a time. As I rode by they would give me the finger.
    2015 R nineT

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post

Several years ago I was riding in the mountains when I came upon a Harley parade. When I could safely pass I would . . . one or two at a time. As I rode by they would give me the finger.
    Aren't they a 'nice' bunch of BIKERS?? I rarely get acknowledged by this 'group' specially now that I have a white RT... Suits me just fine too.
    Just wait until one of them breaks down, I witnessed that they don't even stop for their own 'kind'...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Just wait until one of them breaks down, I witnessed that they don't even stop for their own 'kind'...
    Indeed! I came upon a poor soul on a Connecticut back road who had just been abandoned by his Harley riding partners. He had a coil/sparkplug wire issue that I solved for him. He was amazed that I stopped and that I would carry tools!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Indeed! I came upon a poor soul on a Connecticut back road who had just been abandoned by his Harley riding partners. He had a coil/sparkplug wire issue that I solved for him. He was amazed that I stopped and that I would carry tools!
    That's the difference between a biker and a motorcyclist..... Good for you to help out!!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Another thing, as I remember, about 1960, ninth grade PE/health class, every student took it near the end of the school year, mandatory driver education. Wonder of wonders, education about the driving rules, how cars work, and actual behind the wheel driver's training in the summer months usually with a teacher sitting in the passenger side, dual controls. Cost? IIRC, somewhere around ten bucks with the school district probably kicking in out of property taxes. Car dealers kicked in cheap sedans, six bangers, automatic, probably for little or nothing, public service to the community/advertising good will.

Another shocker, HS shop classes had automobile maintenance repair courses.

So when the kids got out there after passing driving testing they at the least had been properly scared and informed, and practiced. Today? Well, it appears to be Luddism in reverse.

RK Ryder
    Another one of my pet peeves are drivers who attempt to pass at a snail's pace while on cruise control.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post

I think it is considered absolutely taboo to break up their parade for any reason, or this is what I have been told. Just makes me want to do it more than ever! Why is this long line of slow moving, wobbling, holding up other traffic, inconsiderate jerks not against the law? I guess it's the same reason they don't enforce the loud pipes thing . Anyway, I always pass them even if I have to split them up to do it, however I really don't like riding that close with them. It is much more satisfying to pass the whole line at one time . I cannot stand them, or could you tell? BTW...Paul & I have stopped & helped more Harley riders and I can't recall one time one of them has ever offered any assistance, not that it was needed or wanted.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Moving "road blocks"

In July of 2010 three of us from Idaho were up into southern British Columbia enjoying the roads, the weather and the local people. We had just spent a couple of nights based out of Toad Rock MC Campground along Kootenay Lake exploring the area roads, Ainsworth Hot Springs and were ready to head back south to the border. As we pulled into the ferry terminal staging area at Balfour we noticed that there were a couple of dozen "bikers" sporting Hell's Angel colors from chapters in Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. We dutifully lined up behind them because we were just in such a mellow mood and we had in front of us after ferry crossing what the travel guide, Destination Highways British Columbia bills as the Number One road in southern BC, highway 3A to ride that morning. During the 30 minute ferry ride it hit me, if at all possible, we have got to get around these people. I told the other two with me, "if they stop for a smoke break jam it, or we're screwed". They didn't stop, we were screwed. Proceeding in formation, riding two by two they jammed up traffic at under the (modest) posted speed limit for what could have been 48 miles of riding bliss. There was no possible way to get around them. We eventually pulled over at a wide spot, cussed, vented, stomped around for awhile and let that "moving road block" clear the road ahead. It was a memorable event, just not in a good way.

One of the cardinal rules in driver ed. was keep to the right unless to pass. Is any of this taught today? Do high schools have these classes today?

Cars making left turns and killing motorcyclists on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    One of the cardinal rules in driver ed. was keep to the right unless to pass. Is any of this taught today? Do high schools have these classes today?
    That's not the only "old school" rule that seems to be ignored these days. What about the rule that said, when you pass a vehicle do not pull back in front of that vehicle until you can see BOTH headlights in your rear view mirror?

I am surprised at how often I see vehicles--both two and four-wheeled-- pass a truck and then, waaaay too quickly, pull back in front of the truck. Of course, I understand that motorcycle mirrors are not positioned to let the pilot follow that rule precisely: if your right side mirror is not adjusted correctly it will sometimes show the truck headlights before it is really safe to pull back over. A simple head check might be enough to let you know that you are too close to the truck to pull back over. Mostly though, situational awareness seems to be missing.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Thumbs up AK Beemer...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I believe his peeve is that drivers do not use the signal until after entering the exit ramp or starting other turns. It is as if many drivers think the meaning of a turn signal is, "Hey y'all, look what I just did!!"
    precisely
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Finding a nice twisty stretch of road only to be stuck behind a long gaggle of H-D riders riding their trundle-busses in formation 10mph below the limit and braking for every corner. Nary a head turn in the bunch, an easy observation given their helmetless heads.

Best,
    DG
    Cut them some slack.

At 10 MPH below the posted speed, they're probably red-lining the tach!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    All of these are pet peeves of mine. It would be nice if everyone was perfect like me!

Regarding texting & cell phones in general..... While on a ride recently, Paul & I were behind a ding bat woman, obviously using her phone and driving really slow. We were all in a left turn lane and the ding bat just pulls into the median & stops, blocking any traffic behind her (US), and she is looking down (obviously texting). Paul gives his horn a blast and does she move? Nooooooooo, she rolls her window down and waves us around, still blocking any traffic behind her!! After all, her & her text is WAY more important than the safe flow of traffic .
    Grenades!
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track