• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Summer Rants & Pet Peeves

Just returned from two weeks of running around the NW quadrant of the USA plus up into BC and Alberta. I was wonderfully surprised by how civilized and good the drivers were for the most part. But ... the one pet peeve for me is folks, both cagers and motorcyclists, who pull up to a gas pump and then go inside for a LONG time and thus capture the fuel pump so on one else can use it until they return. Seems like they are usually using the bathroom, or buying lottery tickets, or buying lunch or whatever. Why do folks do that????

This one raises my hackles as well. Folks seem oblivious how busy some stations are and just walk away to leave their car in the shade typically.
Had three or four Cruisers blocking a local limited pump station taking up two pump islands and looked up to see them sitting at the tables in front of store eating breakfast as folks were circling for an empty space. I gave them an applause clap when they looked out my way...they just waved and clueless:banghead

:thumb All of these are pet peeves of mine. It would be nice if everyone was perfect like me! :laugh

Regarding texting & cell phones in general..... While on a ride recently, Paul & I were behind a ding bat woman, obviously using her phone and driving really slow. We were all in a left turn lane and the ding bat just pulls into the median & stops, blocking any traffic behind her (US), and she is looking down (obviously texting). Paul gives his horn a blast and does she move? Nooooooooo, she rolls her window down and waves us around, still blocking any traffic behind her!! After all, her & her text is WAY more important than the safe flow of traffic :banghead.

The drivers who believe it is their duty to regulate the speed of traffic by driving next to car in the other lane......FOR EVER. They normally take the passing lane. Pull up next to a car in the slow lane and match their speed. They know your there and will not move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drivers who are holding up traffic in the narrow twisty parts of the road then suddenly when a passing lane appears instantly accelerate to well beyond the speed limit so no more than perhaps one vehicle can pass them, then slow back down as soon as the lane ends.

My pet peeve is when the only car behind me, passes only to then quickly cut in front of me to exit onto a freeway ramp. Why can't they wait twenty or thirty seconds and just exit without the drama? :banghead

My pet peeve is drivers who rush to enter traffic ahead of you then slowly accelerate.
Also drivers who can't maintain their speed on highways. You pass them, they'll accelerate after you've pulled ahead and pass you, then slow down again.

Thank you Royce,:thumb us NW people for the most part try to be polite!

Eugene, you are welcome. BTW, this is a blast from the past for me; we (family) lived in Gig Harbor for about four years while I was stationed at Fort Lewis back in the early 80s. We have been back a few times on vacations and the place only vaguely resembles what we remember, but it is still very beautiful. I would have happily retired from the Army and lived there for the rest of my days, but both my wife's family and my family had other ideas.

We have a real problem here with people who merge onto the highway, then accelerate, rather than using the on ramp for its intended purpose to accelerate then merge. The reverse problem is also true for many drivers exiting the highway. They will decelerate in the highway lane, then exit, rather than use the mile long exit lane for its intended purpose.

Finding a nice twisty stretch of road only to be stuck behind a long gaggle of H-D riders riding their trundle-busses in formation 10mph below the limit and braking for every corner. Nary a head turn in the bunch, an easy observation given their helmetless heads.

Best,
DG

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. :thumb

Several years ago I was riding in the mountains when I came upon a Harley parade. When I could safely pass I would . . . one or two at a time. As I rode by they would give me the finger. :dunno

Several years ago I was riding in the mountains when I came upon a Harley parade. When I could safely pass I would . . . one or two at a time. As I rode by they would give me the finger. :dunno

Aren't they a 'nice' bunch of BIKERS?? :banghead I rarely get acknowledged by this 'group' specially now that I have a white RT...:D Suits me just fine too.
Just wait until one of them breaks down, I witnessed that they don't even stop for their own 'kind'...:scratch

Just wait until one of them breaks down, I witnessed that they don't even stop for their own 'kind'...:scratch

Indeed! I came upon a poor soul on a Connecticut back road who had just been abandoned by his Harley riding partners. He had a coil/sparkplug wire issue that I solved for him. He was amazed that I stopped and that I would carry tools!

Indeed! I came upon a poor soul on a Connecticut back road who had just been abandoned by his Harley riding partners. He had a coil/sparkplug wire issue that I solved for him. He was amazed that I stopped and that I would carry tools!

That's the difference between a biker and a motorcyclist..... Good for you to help out!!:thumb

Another thing, as I remember, about 1960, ninth grade PE/health class, every student took it near the end of the school year, mandatory driver education. Wonder of wonders, education about the driving rules, how cars work, and actual behind the wheel driver's training in the summer months usually with a teacher sitting in the passenger side, dual controls. Cost? IIRC, somewhere around ten bucks with the school district probably kicking in out of property taxes. Car dealers kicked in cheap sedans, six bangers, automatic, probably for little or nothing, public service to the community/advertising good will.

Another shocker, HS shop classes had automobile maintenance repair courses.

So when the kids got out there after passing driving testing they at the least had been properly scared and informed, and practiced. Today? Well, it appears to be Luddism in reverse.

I think it is considered absolutely taboo to break up their parade for any reason, or this is what I have been told. Just makes me want to do it more than ever! Why is this long line of slow moving, wobbling, holding up other traffic, inconsiderate jerks not against the law? I guess it's the same reason they don't enforce the loud pipes thing :scratch. Anyway, I always pass them even if I have to split them up to do it, however I really don't like riding that close with them. It is much more satisfying to pass the whole line at one time :). I cannot stand them, or could you tell? BTW...Paul & I have stopped & helped more Harley riders and I can't recall one time one of them has ever offered any assistance, not that it was needed or wanted.

Moving "road blocks"

In July of 2010 three of us from Idaho were up into southern British Columbia enjoying the roads, the weather and the local people. We had just spent a couple of nights based out of Toad Rock MC Campground along Kootenay Lake exploring the area roads, Ainsworth Hot Springs and were ready to head back south to the border. As we pulled into the ferry terminal staging area at Balfour we noticed that there were a couple of dozen "bikers" sporting Hell's Angel colors from chapters in Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. We dutifully lined up behind them because we were just in such a mellow mood and we had in front of us after ferry crossing what the travel guide, Destination Highways British Columbia bills as the Number One road in southern BC, highway 3A to ride that morning. During the 30 minute ferry ride it hit me, if at all possible, we have got to get around these people. I told the other two with me, "if they stop for a smoke break jam it, or we're screwed". They didn't stop, we were screwed. Proceeding in formation, riding two by two they jammed up traffic at under the (modest) posted speed limit for what could have been 48 miles of riding bliss. There was no possible way to get around them. We eventually pulled over at a wide spot, cussed, vented, stomped around for awhile and let that "moving road block" clear the road ahead. It was a memorable event, just not in a good way.

One of the cardinal rules in driver ed. was keep to the right unless to pass. Is any of this taught today? Do high schools have these classes today?

Back