Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Rants & Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I must not be understanding your comment.
    I consider it good manners to signal when exiting a interstate.
    This gives the cars following a chance to change lanes and not slow down.
    It's not only good manners, it's part of the highway code in certain jurisdictions.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I believe his peeve is that drivers do not use the signal until after entering the exit ramp or starting other turns. It is as if many drivers think the meaning of a turn signal is, "Hey y'all, look what I just did!!"
    I sort of expect that behavior for freeway exits. My pet peeve (well, one of them anyway ) is on secondary roads when someone jams on the brakes, starts turning into the sideroad/driveway, THEN activates the turn signal. Driving is merely an afterthought with these folks.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if our new distracted driving law has much affect on drivers. From personal observation the State Patrol seems to be really focusing on this issue currently.
    Bill Johnston

Anticipating a ride on a twisty road only to end up behind a car that can't drive the speed limit, which is already too slow for enjoyable motorcycling, and then slows down even more in curves. PS: You can't pass on these roads either.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

Finding a nice twisty stretch of road only to be stuck behind a long gaggle of H-D riders riding their trundle-busses in formation 10mph below the limit and braking for every corner. Nary a head turn in the bunch, an easy observation given their helmetless heads.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I believe his peeve is that drivers do not use the signal until after entering the exit ramp or starting other turns. It is as if many drivers think the meaning of a turn signal is, "Hey y'all, look what I just did!!"
    Ok, that makes sense.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I am with you WalterK75. On a /5 opportunities to pass are limited anyway. If the situation looks hopeless and long term I pull over and check text messages or otherwise occupy myself for a minute or two. It gives "Speedy" a chance get far enough ahead that I usually do not catch up to him again. With luck he is enticed by a yard sale and off the road completely.
    1972 R75/5
    1993 R100R

Cell phones... PERIOD! I am NOT a luddite!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Just returned from two weeks of running around the NW quadrant of the USA plus up into BC and Alberta. I was wonderfully surprised by how civilized and good the drivers were for the most part. But ... the one pet peeve for me is folks, both cagers and motorcyclists, who pull up to a gas pump and then go inside for a LONG time and thus capture the fuel pump so on one else can use it until they return. Seems like they are usually using the bathroom, or buying lottery tickets, or buying lunch or whatever. Why do folks do that????
    This one raises my hackles as well. Folks seem oblivious how busy some stations are and just walk away to leave their car in the shade typically.
    Had three or four Cruisers blocking a local limited pump station taking up two pump islands and looked up to see them sitting at the tables in front of store eating breakfast as folks were circling for an empty space. I gave them an applause clap when they looked out my way...they just waved and clueless
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

All of these are pet peeves of mine. It would be nice if everyone was perfect like me!

Regarding texting & cell phones in general..... While on a ride recently, Paul & I were behind a ding bat woman, obviously using her phone and driving really slow. We were all in a left turn lane and the ding bat just pulls into the median & stops, blocking any traffic behind her (US), and she is looking down (obviously texting). Paul gives his horn a blast and does she move? Nooooooooo, she rolls her window down and waves us around, still blocking any traffic behind her!! After all, her & her text is WAY more important than the safe flow of traffic .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

The drivers who believe it is their duty to regulate the speed of traffic by driving next to car in the other lane......FOR EVER. They normally take the passing lane. Pull up next to a car in the slow lane and match their speed. They know your there and will not move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The drivers who are holding up traffic in the narrow twisty parts of the road then suddenly when a passing lane appears instantly accelerate to well beyond the speed limit so no more than perhaps one vehicle can pass them, then slow back down as soon as the lane ends.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

RK Ryder
    My pet peeve is when the only car behind me, passes only to then quickly cut in front of me to exit onto a freeway ramp. Why can't they wait twenty or thirty seconds and just exit without the drama?
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders #298 & Knights of the Roundel #333

Royce

Thank you Royce, us NW people for the most part try to be polite!

My pet peeve is drivers who rush to enter traffic ahead of you then slowly accelerate.
    Also drivers who can't maintain their speed on highways. You pass them, they'll accelerate after you've pulled ahead and pass you, then slow down again.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Thank you Royce, us NW people for the most part try to be polite!
    Eugene, you are welcome. BTW, this is a blast from the past for me; we (family) lived in Gig Harbor for about four years while I was stationed at Fort Lewis back in the early 80s. We have been back a few times on vacations and the place only vaguely resembles what we remember, but it is still very beautiful. I would have happily retired from the Army and lived there for the rest of my days, but both my wife's family and my family had other ideas.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST