• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Summer Rants & Pet Peeves

brownie

Now that summer is in high gear....let's hear some of our rants & pet peeves we see on the road.....probably cagers....but moto also....venting is good :banghead

I'll start : Following a vehicle on the highway......who puts their turn signal on while they're exiting!!!! WTF??

People parked at a shopping mall with their cars or trucks running so that they don't have to return to a hot or cold vehicle! Or sitting in the vehicle, often for a half hour or more, with the vehicle running when they easily go inside a climate-controlled store...

Just returned from two weeks of running around the NW quadrant of the USA plus up into BC and Alberta. I was wonderfully surprised by how civilized and good the drivers were for the most part. But ... the one pet peeve for me is folks, both cagers and motorcyclists, who pull up to a gas pump and then go inside for a LONG time and thus capture the fuel pump so on one else can use it until they return. Seems like they are usually using the bathroom, or buying lottery tickets, or buying lunch or whatever. Why do folks do that????

Left turners. Worst this year. I try to let traffic by in town to gettem off my rear, light to light. Lately cages seem to be in a hurry so they deftly speed around, run up to next light, trigger the green and I'm good to roll through without a foot down. Why tussle with texting, just lettem go.

Road rage is also something that seems to be on hair trigger.

cars that speed up when I go to pass, while I am riding my airhead. that doesn't happen on my hexhead.

I'll start : Following a vehicle on the highway......who puts their turn signal on while they're exiting!!!! WTF??

I must not be understanding your comment.
I consider it good manners to signal when exiting a interstate.
This gives the cars following a chance to change lanes and not slow down.

I believe his peeve is that drivers do not use the signal until after entering the exit ramp or starting other turns. It is as if many drivers think the meaning of a turn signal is, "Hey y'all, look what I just did!!"

I must not be understanding your comment.
I consider it good manners to signal when exiting a interstate.
This gives the cars following a chance to change lanes and not slow down.
It's not only good manners, it's part of the highway code in certain jurisdictions.

I believe his peeve is that drivers do not use the signal until after entering the exit ramp or starting other turns. It is as if many drivers think the meaning of a turn signal is, "Hey y'all, look what I just did!!"

I sort of expect that behavior for freeway exits. My pet peeve (well, one of them anyway :) ) is on secondary roads when someone jams on the brakes, starts turning into the sideroad/driveway, THEN activates the turn signal. Driving is merely an afterthought with these folks.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if our new distracted driving law has much affect on drivers. From personal observation the State Patrol seems to be really focusing on this issue currently. :dance

Anticipating a ride on a twisty road only to end up behind a car that can't drive the speed limit, which is already too slow for enjoyable motorcycling, and then slows down even more in curves. PS: You can't pass on these roads either.

Finding a nice twisty stretch of road only to be stuck behind a long gaggle of H-D riders riding their trundle-busses in formation 10mph below the limit and braking for every corner. Nary a head turn in the bunch, an easy observation given their helmetless heads.

Best,
DG

Ok, that makes sense.

I am with you WalterK75. On a /5 opportunities to pass are limited anyway. :) If the situation looks hopeless and long term I pull over and check text messages or otherwise occupy myself for a minute or two. It gives "Speedy" a chance get far enough ahead that I usually do not catch up to him again. With luck he is enticed by a yard sale and off the road completely.

Back