• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rally Location

Last week was the Bloomsburg Fair, and through most of it the temperature was in the 90's. From what I read online they are use to chilly wet weather in September but not hot humid weather during fair week. The complaint was lack of shade and the air conditioning in the buildings could not keep up. I guess they sat up cooling stations and were handing out water. The article sure brought back some memories. But like what was already mentioned the weather is a crap shoot.

But like what was already mentioned the weather is a crap shoot.

Only in terms of weather events like rain and storms. When the event is held in July you are up against heat anywhere you go, unless you can find some elevation. According to earlier posts, the members have been polled and expressed a preference for June, so it looks like Tradition, with a capital T, is controlling the event. Utah in June would have been much more pleasant, doubly so in a venue away from the heart of the state's largest city.

Best,
DG

Well don't come to Calgary on the 2nd of October - today is rather unpleasant for riding or camping by motorcycle.

IMG_4905.jpg

Because of Paul's incessant lobbying we at least know that in 2019 we will be in Fargo. The wrap-up show will be "Svein and His Talking Woodchippers". :dance

Will they be playing their Glockenspiels?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ovQ3ptkC2nA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last week was the Bloomsburg Fair, and through most of it the temperature was in the 90's. From what I read online they are use to chilly wet weather in September but not hot humid weather during fair week. The complaint was lack of shade and the air conditioning in the buildings could not keep up. I guess they sat up cooling stations and were handing out water. The article sure brought back some memories. But like what was already mentioned the weather is a crap shoot.

The following weekend was in the 60's....

I would like that choice. The only issue is the vendors. On a per capita basis, ON and BC are top producers of MOA members.

There is also the issue of the teenage alcohol, and or MJ possession (or felony eluding) etc charge from when we were young and stupid. Yes, many of us were lucky. Not all.

Rod

As far as going into Canada?

The two issues I heard as President of the MOA when we did go to Canada were:

DUI's are considered the equivilent of felonies in Canada and are a general bar to entry;

and

Members objected because they couldn't bring their guns into Canada and are apparently afraid to travel without them.

The two issues I heard as President of the MOA when we did go to Canada were:

DUI's are considered the equivilent of felonies in Canada and are a general bar to entry;

and

Members objected because they couldn't bring their guns into Canada and are apparently afraid to travel without them.

And a very large third issue was the hassles the commercial vendors encountered in crossing the border and doing business in Canada. How many of them said they would NEVER go to another MOA International rally in Canada. How long did it take BMW Motorrad USA to finally get their merchandise released after the Rally? I was there too.

Friedle

And a very large third issue was the hassles the commercial vendors encountered in crossing the border and doing business in Canada. How many of them said they would NEVER go to another MOA International rally in Canada. How long did it take BMW Motorrad USA to finally get their merchandise released after the Rally? I was there too.

Friedle

Yeah the vendor issues would be an extremely large hurdle for sure if it happened again; I know visiting vendors is one of my favourite activities of any rally. Not sure how vendors for a myriad of other vendor businesses who have shows for all sorts of reasons seem to get it done in Canada.

In our city (Calgary) we host international oil shows that have vendors and customers from all over the world who manage to show up with large volumes of very expensive gear for industry specific solutions.

We also host the Calgary Stampede that is attended by tens of thousands of fine folks from the US who enjoy everything the area has to offer. They may have concerns about the inability to carry weapons or have the same driving impediments re: DUI's but it does not seem to stop them from coming in droves.

One additional issue that I have in attending US based rallies is the cost of health insurance to cover me riding a motorcycle in a foreign country since I am over 60 (like many here) and have recently had cancer and cardiac issues - this would very likely financially impact US riders in Canada as well.

Being in the middle at the time I do understand the vendor issue but to this day believe the problems were overstated. Some of the same vendors pose issues every year. West coasters won't go east and easterners won't go west. Sure, there were customs hurdles and it was a whole new thing.

In todays global world and NAFTA it isn't the same as it was a decade and a half ago. And, besides there are Canadian motorcycle vendors too. It is indeed an issue but one that I believe could be overcome.

Kinda like having a Civic Center Rally that a whole bunch of traditionalists badgered the Board into "never doing again." Until we have an adventurous Board once again, if we ever do. Maybe we should have a BC rally in June. But that will have to be after Fargo. :)

Vendor issue

In my opinion, today's vendor issues would be significantly different than for the Treneton(SP?) rally. Several decades ago, the vendors brought a lot of retail merchandise to the Rally. Bob's BMW probably brought enough parts to rebuild a few airheads. Today, it's often a display of products and a time limited discount coupon for on-line orders.

I would like to see the rally return to Canada.

Last edited:
Back