Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rally Location

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I would like that choice. The only issue is the vendors. On a per capita basis, ON and BC are top producers of MOA members.
    There is also the issue of the teenage alcohol, and or MJ possession (or felony eluding) etc charge from when we were young and stupid. Yes, many of us were lucky. Not all.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    Well don't come to Calgary on the 2nd of October - today is rather unpleasant for riding or camping by motorcycle.

Attachment 64376
    That looks like Damn fine camping weather. Not so good for riding, I love snow camping.

Rod

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    That looks like Damn fine camping weather. Not so good for riding, I love snow camping.

Rod
    Riding with studded tires may be possible.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    There is also the issue of the teenage alcohol, and or MJ possession (or felony eluding) etc charge from when we were young and stupid. Yes, many of us were lucky. Not all.

Rod
    As far as going into Canada?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    As far as going into Canada?
    The two issues I heard as President of the MOA when we did go to Canada were:

DUI's are considered the equivilent of felonies in Canada and are a general bar to entry;

and

Members objected because they couldn't bring their guns into Canada and are apparently afraid to travel without them.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Rally Location

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The two issues I heard as President of the MOA when we did go to Canada were:

DUI's are considered the equivilent of felonies in Canada and are a general bar to entry;

and

Members objected because they couldn't bring their guns into Canada and are apparently afraid to travel without them.

And a very large third issue was the hassles the commercial vendors encountered in crossing the border and doing business in Canada. How many of them said they would NEVER go to another MOA International rally in Canada. How long did it take BMW Motorrad USA to finally get their merchandise released after the Rally? I was there too.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    And a very large third issue was the hassles the commercial vendors encountered in crossing the border and doing business in Canada. How many of them said they would NEVER go to another MOA International rally in Canada. How long did it take BMW Motorrad USA to finally get their merchandise released after the Rally? I was there too.

Friedle
    Yeah the vendor issues would be an extremely large hurdle for sure if it happened again; I know visiting vendors is one of my favourite activities of any rally. Not sure how vendors for a myriad of other vendor businesses who have shows for all sorts of reasons seem to get it done in Canada.

In our city (Calgary) we host international oil shows that have vendors and customers from all over the world who manage to show up with large volumes of very expensive gear for industry specific solutions.

We also host the Calgary Stampede that is attended by tens of thousands of fine folks from the US who enjoy everything the area has to offer. They may have concerns about the inability to carry weapons or have the same driving impediments re: DUI's but it does not seem to stop them from coming in droves.

One additional issue that I have in attending US based rallies is the cost of health insurance to cover me riding a motorcycle in a foreign country since I am over 60 (like many here) and have recently had cancer and cardiac issues - this would very likely financially impact US riders in Canada as well.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Being in the middle at the time I do understand the vendor issue but to this day believe the problems were overstated. Some of the same vendors pose issues every year. West coasters won't go east and easterners won't go west. Sure, there were customs hurdles and it was a whole new thing.

In todays global world and NAFTA it isn't the same as it was a decade and a half ago. And, besides there are Canadian motorcycle vendors too. It is indeed an issue but one that I believe could be overcome.

Kinda like having a Civic Center Rally that a whole bunch of traditionalists badgered the Board into "never doing again." Until we have an adventurous Board once again, if we ever do. Maybe we should have a BC rally in June. But that will have to be after Fargo.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Vendor issue

In my opinion, today's vendor issues would be significantly different than for the Treneton(SP?) rally. Several decades ago, the vendors brought a lot of retail merchandise to the Rally. Bob's BMW probably brought enough parts to rebuild a few airheads. Today, it's often a display of products and a time limited discount coupon for on-line orders.

I would like to see the rally return to Canada.
    Last edited by 36654; 10-08-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

MOA,ABC,AMA,NEF,BREC,CCA brownie's Avatar

Angry Nashville = traffic

Got caught in HORRENDOUS traffic in Nashville enroute to Hamburg......
    Words to Ride by: Patience, Anticipate, Paranoia
    Shep Brown MOA 27510
    "Igor" 82 RS "Inga" 04RT
    Pensacola, Flairider