Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My butt hurts. A lot. Any advice?

Are your handlebars adjustable? I have really long arms and if I am sitting too straight my weight gets transferred to my butt. I need to be leaning a little forward so my some weight goes to my arms and legs.

It may just be the camera angle, but it looks like that bag is forcing you to sit a couple inches forward on the seat. Moving the bag and sitting back "in the pocket" could make a big difference in support and comfort.

Custom seats are made to work for a particular person - if you are significantly taller/shorter/heavier/lighter than the original purchaser, that seat may never work for you.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Looks like a Russell.

Short-term suggestion? Beads.

Long-tern suggestion? Sargent
    I agree on all points.

I've changed to Sargent on every BMW I've owned.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    It may just be the camera angle, but it looks like that bag is forcing you to sit a couple inches forward on the seat. Moving the bag and sitting back "in the pocket" could make a big difference in support and comfort.

Custom seats are made to work for a particular person - if you are significantly taller/shorter/heavier/lighter than the original purchaser, that seat may never work for you.
    +1 - need to sit as far back on that seat as you can to see if it will work for you

After looking close at the picture, you should move the bag back so you can sit back more. 1+

After re-looking at the picture, you guys may have nailed it. The bag really looks like it is pushing the rider towards the skinny part of the seat? Ouch......

John

Heartbeat of my R100GS Guenther's Avatar
    I am using a Gel Pad from www.saddlemen.com. Easy to mount, contains medical Gel which reduces pressure points.

During a stop I can either remove the pad if gets rainy/cold or, turn over the pad to avoid it getting too hot in the sun or, use it to sit on away from the bike.

/Guenther

Thanks so much for all the feedback everyone! I've made it to my friend's in Colorado springs and will visit a cycle gear today, look for an Airhawk. I stopped by a Walmart a few days ago and bought the ATV cover someone suggested and it did help a little, took a little of the edge off so to speak. Helped me get here but I need something more.

The bag does not feel like it's pushing me forward at all. The 'natural' position for the seat/bike does feel very forward and especially on braking I feel like I slide forward. These bikes are known for that right? I actually don't feel any discomfort in the family jewels, it's really two points on the buttocks. It seems to be coming from the two ridges of the seat. I guess if I could naturally sit further back it might not be such a problem, but as I said the position that feels right, or that I'm kind of forced into is forward..

I did try playing with the seat height, but anything lower and I think my knees/legs would suffer. I'm 6'4" with 34 inseam. I've read references to adjusting angle of seat to counter the sliding forward issue. Maybe I need to look into that??

I looked at bottom of seats and did not see any markings. I will try to post pictures later today. PO said he 'got talked into recovering seat at a rally".

Looks like the Russel place is right on my route! I'm definitely going to look into tha.

I'm sincerely grateful for y'all taking the time. Hopefully I can pay it back some day some way!

Here are some pictures of the seat in case anyone can identify it. I'm working with my friend's in shimming the front mechanism because it really does feel like I'm being pushed forward into the seams of the seat...
    Attached Images Attached Images

So with some help from my friend I have added shims under the seat height adjustment mechanism, raising the front of the seat 3/4". Used 3/4" square steel tube, drilled holes and bought longer bolts. Haven't tested it on the road, but in the garage it feels way better, can sit naturally further back so I'm not riding the seams. Also bought a gel pad from cycle gear. Will update.

Pictures please.... of the modification..... not the damage to your derriere.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I know it is a little late with you being in the middle of a trip, but I came up with an observation today that I thought I'd pass along.

I washed my bike yesterday and in the process took off my Airhawk cushion. I decided to leave it off, thinking it wouldn't make much difference in the local area. Nope. Before I got a mile or so down the road, I was wishing I had time to turn around and put it back on the bike. What a difference a little bit of air makes.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

cream

You might try a 50/50 mix of hydrocortizone and a zinc based diaper rash cream on your butt. Just don't ask where I got the recipe.

Aerostitch has multiple configurations. I've had excellent luck with getting them to ship to me, mid-trip. The Airhawk is terrific technology. Recommended.

BMW R100R 1995
    SUZ DL1000 2005

The two points on the buttocks you described is the same area I had. Does moving around on the seat help any, like I explain earlier ? My AK sheep skin helps too.