• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2017 K1600B- Looking good.

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
I have received a number of email alerts that the K1600B is about to hit the showroom floors......I like the look. The seat height looks like it may help find some "flat footing".

Hope it does well.
OM

Just sat on one today! It is very nice looking. BMW should do well with this bike as the shorter legged peeps will flatfoot it with ease.
This particular one didn't have a center stand but they can be ordered with it and sadly, full face helmets don't fit in the saddlebags.....

IMG_1421.jpg

Went for a test ride today. Put down a deposit afterwards.

Took a test ride today. Hopefully I'll have my B in two weeks time. I really enjoyed the upright seating and the floorboards.

1600 B Looks sweet...

I had to be in my dealership the other day for a quick service thing and spent my wait time walking in circles around the K1600B. Great looking bike! Of course I had to sit on it too. Nice riding position - and the redesign of the fairing that eliminates small storage compartments up front, narrows the bike enough to allow easy access to the foot boards. I have a GTL and the aftermarket highway pegs on it are very awkward to get to (and uncomforatble once you do) because of the width of the bodywork. My only other observation is that while the panniers look big, they magically shrink when you open them and don't appear to have the capacity of the easily removable side cases on my GTL. Someone suggested this is because the tail lights are incorporated into the rear of the cases rather than centered on the rear fender / mud guard under the seat. Anyway, great looking machine though perhaps (as a cruiser more that a touring bike) designed for shorter rides.

Definitely aimed at the cruiser segment. After reading some demo ride reviews, it is seriously detuned. The Dynamic mode feels more like the rain mode of the GT /GTL . Perhaps not detuned as much as re programmed to be less sporting of a ride style. I know someone who has cancelled theirs due to this alone and gone with a new GTL

Definitely aimed at the cruiser segment. After reading some demo ride reviews, it is seriously detuned.

So far I have not seen this mentioned. BMW shows the same HP and Torque at the same RPM as the K1600GT and GTL.

Perhaps not detuned as much as re programmed to be less sporting of a ride style.

Yes, same power numbers but the ride by wire seems to have been programmed to be less immediate. I'm sure it's just more noticeable to someone that has a GT or GTL.

I haven't seen acceleration or top speed figures comparing the B to the GTL or GT. Wouldn't they tell the story as to any detuning and even throttle reprogramming?

Sounds to me that what may have been done is a noticeable softening of throttle response at/just-off idle. Not clear if there are any strong claims that things above that have been dialed-back or not.

If it is just the "at/just-off idle" that has been dampened than it might not be very apparent in a 1/4 mile time but should show up in the terminal speed and more dramatically in the 60-foot time and speed. Unfortunately, even though 60-ft time and speed are very important to getting a full picture of what an engine is like, they are rarely shown in motorcycle testing reports. That and a dyno-test would do a great deal to identify what might be going on.

I've wondered if BMW intentionally dialled things back or softened them up to avoid any issues with some of their target market for the buke, but until we know what has actually been done, it is pure speculation. We don't even know yet if it was deliberate or by mistake, but it is unfortunate.

The Dynamic mode feels more like the rain mode of the GT /GTL . Perhaps not detuned as much as re programmed to be less sporting of a ride style.

There's a new thread today on i-BMW where a member is saying the same thing about a 2018 GTL compared to a 2016 GTL.

On looks alone...I like it. Exception being those silly looking pipes. But I'm sure aftermarket is already working on it.

Got my B, and LOVIN' IT!!

I have no issue with the tuning of the bike. When setup for the highest performance - Dynamic / Road, I find the bike is fast, responsive and solid -- especially on the highway. My last ride was a 2014 GSA, which of course, is no speed demon LOL

About the suitability of the admittedly smallish panniers for serious touring... I think that completely depends on what you need to pack to enjoy your trip. It fits 3 changes of clothes, 3 pairs of gloves, my Teva sandals, and a heated jacket liner. With that load, I find I can tour endlessly. Not everything is for everybody.

There's a new thread today on i-BMW where a member is saying the same thing about a 2018 GTL compared to a 2016 GTL.

I would agree. Just picked up a 2018 GTL, did notice a difference in throttle response compared to the 2016. I work at a BMW dealer and several customers who moved up to the 2018 GTL had the same comments.

Back