• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Transport Canada and BMW Recall : R,F,and S models - Lighting System and Retroreflect

mika

Still Wondering
BMW issued a recall on the R1200GS ADVENTURE, F800R, R1200RS, F800GT, R1200GS, S1000XR, and R1200R modelshttp://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&rn=2017376
Transport Canada / 5h
Certain motorcycles may not comply with the requirements of Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CVMSS) 108 - Lighting System and Retroreflective Devices. The rear side reflectors on the luggage case or luggage case mounts may be partially blocked and not meet the requirements of the standard, which could reduce vehicle conspicuity to following road users, and increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Correction: Depending on the model, dealers will either attach a side reflector to the luggage case, or add a bracket containing a rear side reflector.

I've read elsewhere (ADVRider) that there is a stop-sale order for U.S. dealers for the same issue for a range of bike models. Can't confirm it myself, but more than one person has reported this. Seems like on models where the panniers are standard equipment, the reflectors are on the bags (like RTs). On other bikes, where panniers are optional, the reflectors can be obscured if optional panniers are installed.

All this over the reflectors that "fell off" of my GS. Well actually only one of the front ones fell off, the rest I removed and replaced with reflective tape.

What I find ridiculous in this is that something so trivial brings about an official crackdown, yet major failures and problems are seemingly ignored until there is a serious incident.

All this over the reflectors that "fell off" of my GS. Well actually only one of the front ones fell off, the rest I removed and replaced with reflective tape.

What I find ridiculous in this is that something so trivial brings about an official crackdown, yet major failures and problems are seemingly ignored until there is a serious incident.

I agree completely, but will point out for clarity: the serious issues are mechanical and engineering in nature but the reflector issues are a plain violation of law or regulations. The former is more difficult to address - the latter is easy to address.

One of the first things I did with my GS was add red reflective tape to the corners of the Vario cases:

I wrapped the red tape around the corners so it is visible from the rear and sides.

It was obvious that the cases blocked any view of the red reflectors at the rear of the bike as it approached, which of course is when the red reflectors most needed to be visible.

Attachments

• IMG_0044cr.jpg
    IMG_0044cr.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
I agree completely, but will point out for clarity: the serious issues are mechanical and engineering in nature but the reflector issues are a plain violation of law or regulations. The former is more difficult to address - the latter is easy to address.

True, but it's not just BMW that has their head in the sand with the other problems. Some of those serious issues also represent safety concerns, yet get little acknowledgment from the governing agencies.

In Mass, reflectors are specifically looked for during the required annual inspection. FWIW
OM

In Mass, reflectors are specifically looked for during the required annual inspection. FWIW
OM

Who pays for this annual inspection? Yes, a silly question. I should have asked, "How much do you have to pay for this annual inspection?"

$15.00 per bike, $35.00 per car/pickup and commercial is $129.00........now gonna be done with camera backup :banghead :banghead :banghead
OM

To stop sell a motorcycle because reflectors aren't visible from some angles, is sheer stupidity. Taking that attitude I could wipe out most vehicles on some weird interpretions of something.

More to this than meets the eye

To stop sell a motorcycle because reflectors aren't visible from some angles, is sheer stupidity. Taking that attitude I could wipe out most vehicles on some weird interpretions of something.

In some jurisdictions, it is against the law to sell a vehicle that is the subject of a recall, until the vehicle(s) is/are repaired. That's what prompts some stop-sale orders to dealers. For example, BMW dealers in the U.S. cannot sell GSs/GSAs until repairs are made to the front forks/stanchions. We know there's a recall in Canada regarding rear reflectors on some BMW models, but does anyone know whether there's a recall in the U.S. on the reflector issue?

US recall was issued yesterday

Reflex Reflector Visibility Blocked/FMVSS 108
If the rear reflex reflectors are obscured from view, it can increase the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V481000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected 29,281

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2013-2017 R1200GS, F800R and F800GT motorcycles, 2014-2017 R1200GS Adventure motorcycles, 2016-2017 S1000XR motorcycles and 2015-2017 R1200R and R1200RS motorcycles. When equipped with the optional aluminum luggage cases, the rear reflex reflectors may be partially blocked. The aluminum case mounts for the R1200GS and R1200GS Adventure may also partially block the reflectors. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment."

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will install reflectors on the cases or for the case mounts, an additional bracket with rear reflex reflectors, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 21, 2017. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

27 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents

From a shareholders point of view to have a company continue to sell a vehicle that a governing body has decided doesn't comply with its laws to operate on the street and thus open the company up to all sorts of legal challenges might be considered by those shareholders as "sheer stupidity".

Never underestimate the world's reserve of "Sheer Stupidity".

From a shareholders point of view to have a company continue to sell a vehicle that a governing body has decided doesn't comply with its laws to operate on the street and thus open the company up to all sorts of legal challenges might be considered by those shareholders as "sheer stupidity".

Never underestimate the world's reserve of "Sheer Stupidity".

I was referring to the authority not the manufacturer

Back