Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transport Canada and BMW Recall : R,F,and S models - Lighting System and Retroreflect

Transport Canada and BMW Recall : R,F,and S models - Lighting System and Retroreflect

BMW issued a recall on the R1200GS ADVENTURE, F800R, R1200RS, F800GT, R1200GS, S1000XR, and R1200R models
    Transport Canada / 5h
    Certain motorcycles may not comply with the requirements of Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CVMSS) 108 - Lighting System and Retroreflective Devices. The rear side reflectors on the luggage case or luggage case mounts may be partially blocked and not meet the requirements of the standard, which could reduce vehicle conspicuity to following road users, and increase the risk of a crash causing injury and/or property damage. Correction: Depending on the model, dealers will either attach a side reflector to the luggage case, or add a bracket containing a rear side reflector.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    All that fuss over reflectors nobody sees anyway....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

Just another rider

Seriously?

I've read elsewhere (ADVRider) that there is a stop-sale order for U.S. dealers for the same issue for a range of bike models. Can't confirm it myself, but more than one person has reported this. Seems like on models where the panniers are standard equipment, the reflectors are on the bags (like RTs). On other bikes, where panniers are optional, the reflectors can be obscured if optional panniers are installed.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

The stop-sale was about the stanchions.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...tanchion-issue
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

All this over the reflectors that "fell off" of my GS. Well actually only one of the front ones fell off, the rest I removed and replaced with reflective tape.

What I find ridiculous in this is that something so trivial brings about an official crackdown, yet major failures and problems are seemingly ignored until there is a serious incident.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    What I find ridiculous in this is that something so trivial brings about an official crackdown, yet major failures and problems are ignored.
    Fixed.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

BMW dealers will be buying out Walmart's inventory of red reflective tape.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    All this over the reflectors that "fell off" of my GS. Well actually only one of the front ones fell off, the rest I removed and replaced with reflective tape.

What I find ridiculous in this is that something so trivial brings about an official crackdown, yet major failures and problems are seemingly ignored until there is a serious incident.
    I agree completely, but will point out for clarity: the serious issues are mechanical and engineering in nature but the reflector issues are a plain violation of law or regulations. The former is more difficult to address - the latter is easy to address.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

One of the first things I did with my GS was add red reflective tape to the corners of the Vario cases:

I wrapped the red tape around the corners so it is visible from the rear and sides.

It was obvious that the cases blocked any view of the red reflectors at the rear of the bike as it approached, which of course is when the red reflectors most needed to be visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKsuited; 08-04-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I agree completely, but will point out for clarity: the serious issues are mechanical and engineering in nature but the reflector issues are a plain violation of law or regulations. The former is more difficult to address - the latter is easy to address.
    True, but it's not just BMW that has their head in the sand with the other problems. Some of those serious issues also represent safety concerns, yet get little acknowledgment from the governing agencies.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    In Mass, reflectors are specifically looked for during the required annual inspection. FWIW
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    In Mass, reflectors are specifically looked for during the required annual inspection. FWIW
    OM
    Who pays for this annual inspection? Yes, a silly question. I should have asked, "How much do you have to pay for this annual inspection?"

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    $15.00 per bike, $35.00 per car/pickup and commercial is $129.00........now gonna be done with camera backup
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The stop-sale was about the stanchions.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...tanchion-issue
    Not the same issue. There is a second stop-sale reported by some people (based on their conversations with dealer staff), though I've not seen anything official.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure