Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nav V taking a long time to find satellites

Nav V taking a long time to find satellites

G'day,

I've noticed that it can take up to 10 minutes for my Nav V to find satellites after the bike has been off and in my garage over night. I go out in the morning, back the bike out of the garage (clear view of the sky) turn it on and the Nav V will show searching for satellites for a 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer. If I remove the Nav from the cradle and perform a power cycle it will locate the satellites quickly. This seems to have started about 2 months ago and I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if I need to send it in for warranty work.

Any thoughts?

Ski

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skibumwi View Post
    G'day,

I've noticed that it can take up to 10 minutes for my Nav V to find satellites after the bike has been off and in my garage over night. I go out in the morning, back the bike out of the garage (clear view of the sky) turn it on and the Nav V will show searching for satellites for a 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer. If I remove the Nav from the cradle and perform a power cycle it will locate the satellites quickly. This seems to have started about 2 months ago and I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if I need to send it in for warranty work.

Any thoughts?

Ski
    Ski, I've had similar issues with most GPS units, over the years including the Nav-V, but not on a repeatable basis.

First, it is important to understand that the Nav-V does not turn off when you turn off the motorcycle and the screen turns off. It merely goes into "sleep mode". Not sure from your post if you were aware of that. It does have some bearing on the issue.

*** IMPORTANT- Do a full backup of your GPS prior to the following. ***

What has most often fixed it is doing a "hard reboot" (with the GPS completely off, hold down the power button until the unit cycles through a full on/off cycle). If that doesn't work the final thing to try is a "hard reset" (same as above, but with a finger on the upper right section of the screen). I believe that those are the proper sequences but Google them to be sure.

My bike is also parked in my garage, but only see this issue about once every 4-6 months at the most.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Ski - You might also check to make sure you have the latest software-operating system. The latest is: 3.40
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Some GPS units have an internal memory battery that is rechargeable. The 276 Garmin had that, and if it wore out or failed, satellite acquisition could take quite some time.
    I don't know if the NAV V/VI have them but it may be worth checking..... YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2017 R1200RT White
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar

Nav V finding satellites

G'day,

Any thoughts?

Ski
    Well they are pretty high up there in space and not all that big, so no, I am not surprised that your Nav V is having a hard time finding them. Is it any easier at night?

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

The software is up to date - probably should have mentioned that.

Thanks for the reset information, I'll try that when I get back home later this week.

Ski

Most likely the internal battery issue mentioned above. Classic symptoms.

This may or may not be related to what the OP is seeing...

I bought a Nav V last year. It worked fine for a few weeks, then it started intermittently having problems. It would stay in the "acquiring satellites" mode for extended periods of time. Sometimes, turning the ignition off then on again would get it to lock on, sometimes not. After almost a year or this, it stopped tracking altogether. I took it back to the dealer and they exchanged it for a new one, no questions asked. I have had no problems with the second one.

Regarding the first unit, I believe I was not the only one to have problems with that unit. In hindsight I realized that it had been used before. The manual was missing, the battery had been installed before I got it, and the unit computer had been initialized. I think they sold it to someone, it was returned and they sold it to me. Some of this only became clear when I opened the box on the second unit and realized what a truly new unit looked like.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous bikes: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

refrigerado por agua azul, that is pretty poor customer service!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    refrigerado por agua azul, that is pretty poor customer service!
    Sounds more like poor quality control of the process for taking back the problem unit the first time - it should not have been resold. Should have gone back to the manufacturer as a faulty unit.

Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Ozzie Flyer
    Do a hard reboot.
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

I'll try the hard boot, I'm certainly not going to try and replace an internal battery on a 10 month old unit.

Had some other weird symptoms today after riding about 200 miles the "acquiring Satellites" came up and, somehow, the Bluetooth got turned off so the phone wouldn't work.

I pulled it from it's cradle, did a shutdown/restart and all was well again. Maybe I should just get a replacement unit.

Ski

I'll try the hard boot, I'm certainly not going to try and replace an internal battery on a 10 month old unit.

Had some other weird symptoms today after riding about 200 miles the "acquiring Satellites" came up and, somehow, the Bluetooth got turned off so the phone wouldn't work.

I pulled it from it's cradle, did a shutdown/restart and all was well again. Maybe I should just get a replacement unit.

Ski
    Some folks have had issues with the contacts getting corroded and leading to intermittent issues. Not common but I know of it happening.
    Best way to clean them is get an old pencil eraser and clean the contacts on both the GPS and the cradle, then wipe them down well with a clean cloth.

If it's only 10 months old I would ask for a new unit.
    When my wife's Nav V was only a couple months old the connector for the battery corroded and the unit would not turn on, in or out of the cradle.
    It was replaced with a new unit.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Some GPS units have an internal memory battery that is rechargeable. The 276 Garmin had that, and if it wore out or failed, satellite acquisition could take quite some time.
    I don't know if the NAV V/VI have them but it may be worth checking..... YMMV
    Yes the Nav V has a battery that can be unplugged and replaced.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT