Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Planning...Cooperstown to Cape Breton

  1. #1

    Planning...Cooperstown to Cape Breton

    This may sound like a general topic, but it intended as a fairly specific question. My son and I are travelling from Upstate NY to Cape Breton (Cabot trail) later in August. Usually on our longer trips (Ashville NC, Wilmington NC) and even our day trips, we sort of do a little research on sights, get a general route to our destination picked out, MAYBE think of a first night destination and play the rest by ear. Now I knowe there is a topic right there, but my question has to do with where we are going....I'm not real familiar with Canada, let alone the wilds (?) of Nova Scotia and Cape Breton. Does the area lend itself to such impromptu touring? If we start looking for a campground or reasonable hotel at 3 in the afternoon, are we likely to find something before dark? I realize "the area" covers many different areas. So any comment on both the adventure part and the getting to the adventure part are welcome.

    BTW I'm on a 2016 RT , and he's on a big HD (2014 Electraglide).[EDIT...BIG EDIT! He can't decide whether to take the KLR or the Harley...thoughts??? he says the KLR is all day comfortable, can cruise well, 70 or more, and he can load it as well as the bagger.]

    I'm sure I'll have more questions, but the consensus on this one will guide my further inquiries. as to some route choices etc.
    TIA
    Last edited by rick601; 08-01-2017 at 11:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User jandhumphreyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Central Maine
    Posts
    244
    I haven't been to Cape Breton in years, but my last trip I planned a central campground and toured from there. The island is small enough to make day trips from about anywhere and easily return in the evening. Lovely place, and wonderful people. Have fun.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    I haven't been to Cape Breton in years, but my last trip I planned a central campground and toured from there. The island is small enough to make day trips from about anywhere and easily return in the evening. Lovely place, and wonderful people. Have fun.
    ah! that's a great suggestion...I didn't realize the island was small enough to do that. The more I enlarged it on Google maps, the more nights I thought we'd need...Island got bigger And BIGGER...lol

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    ah! that's a great suggestion...I didn't realize the island was small enough to do that. The more I enlarged it on Google maps, the more nights I thought we'd need...Island got bigger And BIGGER...lol


    2005 r1200rt
    the wife and i just got back from newfound land last week, left from south carolina and in ny state now hanging out for a few weeks. we got really lucky 20 days and no rain

    our first time in nova scotia and cape breton, area was really nice to visit and not crowded at all, very little traffic. as for finding places to stay on the way up we had a list of cheap hotels with us in the area we though we'd be in at around 3ish or 4ish, no problems at all. on the way back we just winged it and again no problems..20 days total. lot more expensive up there so be prepared. we liked cape breton but wasnt up to what i though it should of looked like, cant beat living in the smokie mts.. , as for the rock " nufieland" it was beautiful.
    hope this helps you some.

  5. #5
    we used our GPS for almost all the lodging and it worked great

  6. #6
    Biker gunnert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Catlett, VA
    Posts
    126
    I lived in Nova Scotia from '96-'02 and frequently traveled all the maritime provinces. Campgrounds galore, small mom/pop B&B, etc. There's a campground on the Margaree River in Cape Breton (can't remember the name) that we often camped at. If you're camping, be prepared for the black flies; if there's no wind they can be an issue.

    Duane
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnert View Post
    I lived in Nova Scotia from '96-'02 and frequently traveled all the maritime provinces. Campgrounds galore, small mom/pop B&B, etc. There's a campground on the Margaree River in Cape Breton (can't remember the name) that we often camped at. If you're camping, be prepared for the black flies; if there's no wind they can be an issue.

    Duane
    Big thanks on the black fly warning. Upstate NY it's pretty much only beginning of spring/summer

Similar Threads

  1. Ride to Cooperstown, NY in mid July
    By fastdogs2 in forum Regional Northeast
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-13-2015, 02:12 PM
  2. Hello from Cape Cod, Ma
    By janda in forum New Members
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-14-2011, 12:43 PM
  3. Cape Meares, OR
    By BobMielke in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 04:24 PM
  4. Cape Meares, OR
    By BobMielke in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
  5. Cape Brenton
    By aaaaaa in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •