• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recall 17V438 for R1200GS/GSA Front Forks

The water cooled R1200GS/GSA front fork stanchion issue is now a federally monitored recall here in the USA. The recall number is 17V438, and documents related to the recall may be downloaded from the NHTSA web site at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V438.

I was especially taken by the last sentence in the Part 573 Chronology, document RMISC-17V438-6409. What a self-serving pile of BS.

The water cooled R1200GS/GSA front fork stanchion issue is now a federally monitored recall here in the USA. The recall number is 17V438, and documents related to the recall may be downloaded from the NHTSA web site at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V438.

I was especially taken by the last sentence in the Part 573 Chronology, document RMISC-17V438-6409. What a self-serving pile of BS.

Every time BMW releases a statement that includes the phrase "...an abundance of caution...", they have to dig out their thesaurus and look up what that means. :scratch

2016 r1200rt

The wet head R1200RT has the same fork tubes and clamping arrangement as the GS's that were recalled. Since I have been known to do wheelys on my RT I asked my dealer parts dept. if I could order the recall parts and was told no they were not available for order except on recalled GS's.

The wet head R1200RT has the same fork tubes and clamping arrangement as the GS's that were recalled. Since I have been known to do wheelys on my RT I asked my dealer parts dept. if I could order the recall parts and was told no they were not available for order except on recalled GS's.

If I still owned an RT, I would pitch a fit to get the bushings installed. You may have to wait a few months for the rush to get GS bikes done, but why wouldn't they sell you some and get paid to install them. You are not going to do it yourself without the installation tool, and they certainly aren't going to sell that!

If I still owned an RT, I would pitch a fit to get the bushings installed. You may have to wait a few months for the rush to get GS bikes done, but why wouldn't they sell you some and get paid to install them. You are not going to do it yourself without the installation tool, and they certainly aren't going to sell that!

If you go through the documentation on the NHTSA web site you'll see that parts for this recall are in very short supply. That's probably why the dealer won't sell them just now.

Government targeting

Remember that this recall has nothing to do with the safety of the motorcycles. It fits in with government regulators flexing their muscles...:banghead Just like the freeze on sales the dealerships are going through regarding some of the bikes with "reflector issues".:scratch Not a safety issue. If it was BMW would make it the part available for sale and installation.:wave
Look - I discovered emoji's :thumb

Remember that this recall has nothing to do with the safety of the motorcycles. It fits in with government regulators flexing their muscles...:banghead Just like the freeze on sales the dealerships are going through regarding some of the bikes with "reflector issues".:scratch Not a safety issue. If it was BMW would make it the part available for sale and installation.:wave

Except that the Feds didn't initiate this recall; BMW did. As stated earlier, read the paperwork on the NHTSA web site. Parts are in short supply, so don't expect them to be generally available until the supply chain catches up.

There is a guy on ADVRider who makes the bushings as a clamp on affair for not much $$. I'd think that would be a good option for the RT or the GS for peace of mind.

My bike needed the recall!

I brought mine in for service after 10000 miles on a cross country road trip. One BMW shop did not even look for it after they did an oil change and my local shop is doing the 12K on it now and they found that one of the forks was in bad shape. Parts are impossible to get for said recall, i practically had to beg for them from BMW because i have trips coming up next week!

I brought my GSA to Albuquerque BMW for another issue and they volunteered to do the recall while I was there. I was traveling back from the rally (I'm STILL traveling back from the rally!) and brought it in. No appointment, just a walk in really, and they had me in and out in 3 hours. Outstanding service.

Fyi

...bought my 2017.5 last week. Dealer said they won't let them go out the door without the recall done.

Actually, this has everything to do with the safety of the motorcycle. If you believe that, perhaps you have no idea what the issue is.

Actually, this has everything to do with the safety of the motorcycle. If you believe that, perhaps you have no idea what the issue is.

+1 No excuse for the GS fork issue and a recall was warranted. Consumers should expect that the GS fork was designed for ADV riding and should perform as such so BMW stepped up.

Actually, I'm surprised the GS rear reflector issue took this long to come up. As on USA cars, USA bikes must have visible side reflectors front and rear (a good thing IMO) and the GS side cases block the rear reflectors. Simple compliance fix is to stick a red reflector on the side cases. For years, USA RT side cases have had red reflectors on them instead of the BMW logo on EUR market bikes. Same with the yellow reflectors installed on USA front forks that Euro bikes don't have.

My point, perhaps in-artfully explained, was that, if the earlier poster thought the recall on GSs/GSAs (for the front fork issue), had nothing to do with safety, perhaps he didn't understand what the issue really was all about.

Last edited:
Just received my recall letter yesterday. There is an "Information Change Card" included with the letter if you need to change anything about your profile. It says you can go to BMWUSA.com/MyBMW and set up your profile or update profile info.

I tried to set up a profile since I have never logged on to this website before, but it would not recognize my VIN number.

I then called BMW customer relations (1-800-831-1117) and they told me that their system was not set up yet to handle motorcycle VIN numbers. :scratch

So if you have an address change or want to add/change something on your profile, call the phone number above.

Just received my recall letter yesterday. There is an "Information Change Card" included with the letter if you need to change anything about your profile. It says you can go to BMWUSA.com/MyBMW and set up your profile or update profile info.

I tried to set up a profile since I have never logged on to this website before, but it would not recognize my VIN number.

I then called BMW customer relations (1-800-831-1117) and they told me that their system was not set up yet to handle motorcycle VIN numbers. :scratch

So if you have an address change or want to add/change something on your profile, call the phone number above.

On a related note, BMW Motorad USA has a Safety Recall search page

www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/virtualcenter/index_recall.html

It says that you can enter the full 17-character VIN or just the last 7 characters. For me it only works with the last 7 characters. Entering the full VIN gives a "VIN not found" error.

Ken

Back