• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recall 17V438 for R1200GS/GSA Front Forks

Safety Recall (July 10, 2017 | Recall Campaign No. 17V-438)
by Mike1200GS on 08-17-2017 at 03:02 PM 0 Comments
Affecting: 2016 R 1200 GS

Hello,
Does anyone know more about the above Recall?

Thank you,
Mike

UPDATE

I just received a letter from BMW USA the other day regarding the recall.
They are currently in the process of shipping out parts to local dealerships.
Best to contact your dealership for an appointment.

Mike

Safety Recall (July 10, 2017 | Recall Campaign No. 17V-438)
by Mike1200GS on 08-17-2017 at 03:02 PM 0 Comments
Affecting: 2016 R 1200 GS

Hello,
Does anyone know more about the above Recall?

Thank you,
Mike

UPDATE

I just received a letter from BMW USA the other day regarding the recall.
They are currently in the process of shipping out parts to local dealerships.
Best to contact your dealership for an appointment.

Mike

The recall affects most -- but not all -- water-cooled GS's and GSA's. Parts (mainly the fork tube bushings) have been arriving at dealers in fits, and starts. I have a number of dealers in my area, but none will schedule an appointment, unless they have parts in stock. They will, however, measure (using a feeler gauge) to see if you have any measurable gap between the seal plug, and the fork tube. Bear in mind, that even if there is zero gap, the repair instruction calls for bushings to be press fitted onto both fork tubes. If there is a gap of 0.2 mm, or greater, the fork tube must be replaced, and the bushing fitted. So, virtually every water-cooled GS/GSA in the world will need those bushings, hence the unavailability of parts.

The recall affects most -- but not all -- water-cooled GS's and GSA's. Parts (mainly the fork tube bushings) have been arriving at dealers in fits, and starts. I have a number of dealers in my area, but none will schedule an appointment, unless they have parts in stock. They will, however, measure (using a feeler gauge) to see if you have any measurable gap between the seal plug, and the fork tube. Bear in mind, that even if there is zero gap, the repair instruction calls for bushings to be press fitted onto both fork tubes. If there is a gap of 0.2 mm, or greater, the fork tube must be replaced, and the bushing fitted. So, virtually every water-cooled GS/GSA in the world will need those bushings, hence the unavailability of parts.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the inside scoop!

Contacted my dealer in Austin, TX. They have about 40 kits back-ordered and are scheduling people as they call in. I didn't ask what the ETA was.

Recall notice

Just wondering how many people have received the recall notice. I bought my bike used in July and haven't received any notice. I bought my bike from Long Beach BMW.

How would I check to see if my bike is associated to my address or vin for BMW?

Just wondering how many people have received the recall notice. I bought my bike used in July and haven't received any notice. I bought my bike from Long Beach BMW.

How would I check to see if my bike is associated to my address or vin for BMW?

Call the dealer and ask them. They know. Or go see them and ask the question. To tell what the remedy is they need to measure the gap at the top of the fork. You can't measure this on the internet.

Call the dealer and ask them. They know. Or go see them and ask the question. To tell what the remedy is they need to measure the gap at the top of the fork. You can't measure this on the internet.

Ditto this. You can call LBBMW with your VIN and they can look it up.

Fork recall fix

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TaGaR9Fn4WE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back