Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recall 17V438 for R1200GS/GSA Front Forks

Recall 17V438 for R1200GS/GSA Front Forks

The water cooled R1200GS/GSA front fork stanchion issue is now a federally monitored recall here in the USA. The recall number is 17V438, and documents related to the recall may be downloaded from the NHTSA web site at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V438.

I was especially taken by the last sentence in the Part 573 Chronology, document RMISC-17V438-6409. What a self-serving pile of BS.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    The water cooled R1200GS/GSA front fork stanchion issue is now a federally monitored recall here in the USA. The recall number is 17V438, and documents related to the recall may be downloaded from the NHTSA web site at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=17V438.

I was especially taken by the last sentence in the Part 573 Chronology, document RMISC-17V438-6409. What a self-serving pile of BS.
    Every time BMW releases a statement that includes the phrase "...an abundance of caution...", they have to dig out their thesaurus and look up what that means.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

2016 r1200rt

The wet head R1200RT has the same fork tubes and clamping arrangement as the GS's that were recalled. Since I have been known to do wheelys on my RT I asked my dealer parts dept. if I could order the recall parts and was told no they were not available for order except on recalled GS's.

Quote Originally Posted by dynajohn View Post
    The wet head R1200RT has the same fork tubes and clamping arrangement as the GS's that were recalled. Since I have been known to do wheelys on my RT I asked my dealer parts dept. if I could order the recall parts and was told no they were not available for order except on recalled GS's.
    If I still owned an RT, I would pitch a fit to get the bushings installed. You may have to wait a few months for the rush to get GS bikes done, but why wouldn't they sell you some and get paid to install them. You are not going to do it yourself without the installation tool, and they certainly aren't going to sell that!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    If I still owned an RT, I would pitch a fit to get the bushings installed. You may have to wait a few months for the rush to get GS bikes done, but why wouldn't they sell you some and get paid to install them. You are not going to do it yourself without the installation tool, and they certainly aren't going to sell that!
    If you go through the documentation on the NHTSA web site you'll see that parts for this recall are in very short supply. That's probably why the dealer won't sell them just now.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Government targeting

Remember that this recall has nothing to do with the safety of the motorcycles. It fits in with government regulators flexing their muscles... Just like the freeze on sales the dealerships are going through regarding some of the bikes with "reflector issues". Not a safety issue. If it was BMW would make it the part available for sale and installation.
    Look - I discovered emoji's

Quote Originally Posted by tescot View Post
    Remember that this recall has nothing to do with the safety of the motorcycles. It fits in with government regulators flexing their muscles... Just like the freeze on sales the dealerships are going through regarding some of the bikes with "reflector issues". Not a safety issue. If it was BMW would make it the part available for sale and installation.
    Except that the Feds didn't initiate this recall; BMW did. As stated earlier, read the paperwork on the NHTSA web site. Parts are in short supply, so don't expect them to be generally available until the supply chain catches up.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

There is a guy on ADVRider who makes the bushings as a clamp on affair for not much $$. I'd think that would be a good option for the RT or the GS for peace of mind.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - Juvenal
    (Who watches the watchers)

My bike needed the recall!

I brought mine in for service after 10000 miles on a cross country road trip. One BMW shop did not even look for it after they did an oil change and my local shop is doing the 12K on it now and they found that one of the forks was in bad shape. Parts are impossible to get for said recall, i practically had to beg for them from BMW because i have trips coming up next week!

I brought my GSA to Albuquerque BMW for another issue and they volunteered to do the recall while I was there. I was traveling back from the rally (I'm STILL traveling back from the rally!) and brought it in. No appointment, just a walk in really, and they had me in and out in 3 hours. Outstanding service.
    2016 R1200 GSA

Fyi

...bought my 2017.5 last week. Dealer said they won't let them go out the door without the recall done.
    "...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

I got the recall notice in the mail this morning.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Just got mine

I just got my notice yesterday. Although, I had the mod done several weeks ago.

Chip

Quote Originally Posted by tescot View Post
    Actually, this has everything to do with the safety of the motorcycle. If you believe that, perhaps you have no idea what the issue is.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure