Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Autonomous vehicles and motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by sagerat View Post
    My prediction: motorcycles will be restricted to roads without automated driving infrastructure and/or the insurance costs will make driving a non-autonomous vehicle, whether two, three, or four wheel, simply prohibitive.
    Look at all the people terrified that the government is coming for their guns. Now realize that a lot more people own cars/motorcycles than guns. Can you imagine the outcry in the US if they try to remove your right to drive your classic cars/motorcycles? Bedlam.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    A robot would probably have paid more attention to it's lane discipline and not hit him. Robots won't be perfect for a long time, but they don't text, drink liquor or get bored.
    +1
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous bikes: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Smile

My prediction: 50 years from now, by which time unfortunately, a vast number of current members in this club will be dead, people will still be steering their vehicles around this same infrastructure, obliviously sharing them with motorcycles.

Everything from "A Silent Spring" to George Orwell to "A Space Odyssey" to Arthur C. Clarke have come and gone without bold, often dire predictions bearing fruit.

I believe there are enough Americans who will still want to drive their cars/trucks/SUV's, rather than be chauffeured about by lobotomized cages.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

If an autonomous car is caught speeding who gets the ticket: the hapless occupant, the owner, the programmer, or what? They surely won't let many of them on the roads until they figure out how to secure the revenue stream, would they?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    I believe there are enough Americans who will still want to drive their cars/trucks/SUV's, rather than be chauffeured about by lobotomized cages.
    Resistance is futile.......

But, Airhead parts will still be available.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I do not believe 'we' have anything to worry about. I had an opportunity to 'see' what the sensors see on an advanced concept self driving vehicle. If anyone has seen the image from the old XBox vision system it is a pretty good example but with much higher resolution. Given the time it takes to haul a car or truck down from highway speeds these sensors need to be able to spot, identify, track and predict the motion of the object, and then react, the vision system has to be able to identify objects (including small animals and their trajectories) from two football fields away. Motorcyclists have nothing to worry about!

In addition to the self driving stuff there is also a push to 'connect' vehicles for advanced warning. If what they are planning works at least as intended, it will be like AIS for marine traffic; your vehicle will know what is going on at intersections or around curves before you see it. At worst 'we' will need to possibly buy some sort of transponder (a little box like a GPS unit or something, it may even eventually get built into your GPS like a marine chart plotter) to join in on the party so your bike can send/receive on the new info system. Not so scary....

...and before anyone says 'oh, they will be able to tell I sped and give me a ticket' remember that 'they' can almost do that anywhere now, especially on toll roads where you clock in and out.
    regards,
    Dan

If an autonomous car is caught speeding who gets the ticket: the hapless occupant, the owner, the programmer, or what? They surely won't let many of them on the roads until they figure out how to secure the revenue stream, would they?
    "Speeding" is a non-issue, really. Just who gets the BILL for a fatal accident? Talk about revenue stream.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Motorcyclists have nothing to worry about!
    Hasn't been a motorcyclist long, and won't become one, with that philosophy.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Resistance is futile.......

But, Airhead parts will still be available.
    Good one !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Hasn't been a motorcyclist long, and won't become one, with that philosophy.
    How long have you been riding around autonomous vehicles then. Enlighten us with your engineering prowess.
    regards,
    Dan

Autonomous cars closer than you think

I am an insurance agent working for one of the big companies. I can tell you that CEO's in Auto insurance believe this is coming fast and they are afraid. (You don't need to buy liability coverage if you are not the driver.)

Also, Budweiser has 90,000 pound trucks on the highway self driving now. (Supervised by a human)

From what I see, I am more afraid of a texting human than any self driving car.

Quote Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
    How long have you been riding around autonomous vehicles then. Enlighten us with your engineering prowess.
    This could be a good serious discussion. There are engineers at places like Microsoft that design this type of game equipment and have ridden for many years. But, they aren't on here.

Dan, you aren't spouting BS.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

All this technology is still in its relative infancy. IMO it won't be long before autonomous vehicles will be an absolute net plus for motorcycles sharing road space with them, especially when all are 'aware' of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Interesting question. Currently the test cars running around California are notable for their adherence to the speed limits. If the majority of cars become autonomous, and they adhere to the traffic laws, presumably we won't need as many traffic cops. A good analogy was Colorado's legalization of pot, apparently enough LEOs were reassigned to other duties and/or laid off that the state found it worth mentioning in their first year audit of the pot laws effects.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by sagerat View Post
    My prediction: motorcycles will be restricted to roads without automated driving infrastructure and/or the insurance costs will make driving a non-autonomous vehicle, whether two, three, or four wheel, simply prohibitive.
    I'd expect that non-autonomous vehicles would be required to purchase electronic devices that communicate position, speed etc. to surrounding vehicles. I'd wouldn't even bitch about buying these transponders for my bikes if it significantly reduced the likelihood of being hit by another vehicle.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...