Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Autonomous vehicles and motorcycles

A few of these "test cars" have been involved in wrecks.
    I haven't researched or dug up the articles to see if they involved "speed", but it clearly shows they are still fallible. If I recall, one recent event had non-driving supervision in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I'd expect that non-autonomous vehicles would be required to purchase electronic devices that communicate position, speed etc. to surrounding vehicles. I'd wouldn't even bitch about buying these transponders for my bikes if it significantly reduced the likelihood of being hit by another vehicle.
    I hope this never becomes the case...shouldn't be required to comply to survive existing in new technology. Would I have to install a device on my bicycle?

I cannot wait until motorcycles have this technology so I can send it on a ride w/out me...what fun
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Motorcyclists have nothing to worry about!
    Hasn't been a motorcyclist long, and won't become one, with that philosophy.
    Engineering prowess has nothing to do with this; you miss the underlying point. Any motorcyclist that doesn't "worry" about their immediate surroundings, all the time, won't survive long.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I'd expect that non-autonomous vehicles would be required to purchase electronic devices that communicate position, speed etc. to surrounding vehicles. I'd wouldn't even bitch about buying these transponders for my bikes if it significantly reduced the likelihood of being hit by another vehicle.
    And "surrounding vehicles" would certainly include LEOs with ticket books at hand. Numerous LEOs will be put out of work as the ticket-wielding revenue-generation process is automated. Your fine will be automatically deducted from your paycheck or SS check, like this 60-second segment--starting at 08:50.

But we will all be soooo much safer...

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    And "surrounding vehicles" would certainly include LEOs with ticket books at hand. Numerous LEOs will be put out of work as the ticket-wielding revenue-generation process is automated. Your fine will be automatically deducted from your paycheck or SS check, like this 60-second segment--starting at 08:50.

But we will all be soooo much safer...

Best,
    DG
    Video capture ticketing is already standard practice in suburban areas around Wash DC.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I think someone wrote a manifesto about all this tech. taking over our lives.
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.