Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Autonomous vehicles and motorcycles

A few of these "test cars" have been involved in wrecks.
    I haven't researched or dug up the articles to see if they involved "speed", but it clearly shows they are still fallible. If I recall, one recent event had non-driving supervision in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I'd expect that non-autonomous vehicles would be required to purchase electronic devices that communicate position, speed etc. to surrounding vehicles. I'd wouldn't even bitch about buying these transponders for my bikes if it significantly reduced the likelihood of being hit by another vehicle.
    I hope this never becomes the case...shouldn't be required to comply to survive existing in new technology. Would I have to install a device on my bicycle?

I cannot wait until motorcycles have this technology so I can send it on a ride w/out me...what fun
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Motorcyclists have nothing to worry about!
    Hasn't been a motorcyclist long, and won't become one, with that philosophy.
    Engineering prowess has nothing to do with this; you miss the underlying point. Any motorcyclist that doesn't "worry" about their immediate surroundings, all the time, won't survive long.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I'd expect that non-autonomous vehicles would be required to purchase electronic devices that communicate position, speed etc. to surrounding vehicles. I'd wouldn't even bitch about buying these transponders for my bikes if it significantly reduced the likelihood of being hit by another vehicle.
    And "surrounding vehicles" would certainly include LEOs with ticket books at hand. Numerous LEOs will be put out of work as the ticket-wielding revenue-generation process is automated. Your fine will be automatically deducted from your paycheck or SS check, like this 60-second segment--starting at 08:50.

But we will all be soooo much safer...

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    And "surrounding vehicles" would certainly include LEOs with ticket books at hand. Numerous LEOs will be put out of work as the ticket-wielding revenue-generation process is automated. Your fine will be automatically deducted from your paycheck or SS check, like this 60-second segment--starting at 08:50.

But we will all be soooo much safer...

Best,
    DG
    Video capture ticketing is already standard practice in suburban areas around Wash DC.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I think someone wrote a manifesto about all this tech. taking over our lives.
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

The article from Cycle World seems to apply to this thread. It looks like BMW has been working on this issue:

https://www.cycleworld.com/do-motorc...E2MjMxNzY4NQS2
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Cool

The more we rely on electronic intervention to "make us safe," the greater our risk will become.

These systems malfunction from time to time or outright fail.

Without the preservation of precision driving/riding skills, your fate is sealed.

I don't oppose progress. But addictive faith in technology is fleeting.

When we teach Winter Driving Courses here at Road America, we go thru braking exercises during the morning. While participants enjoy lunch, we quietly pull the ABS fuse. Then repeat the drills.

They come away with skills - not reliance on 'systems.'
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    From the "idea" bank

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    I think someone wrote a manifesto about all this tech. taking over our lives.
    No worries here...I can't figure out how to use it .
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    From the "idea" bank
    OM
    Naahhh, wrong movie. No need for all that strike/counterstrike stuff as there are easier and cheaper ways to do the job—and without self-destructing “SkyNet” via EMP and leaving an uninhabitable mess. Think more along the lines of the Star Trek TNG episode “The Game” (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708798/) to placate the masses then a little collusion and subversion to hand over the reins of govt to the machines—think a mashup of “Manchurian Candidate” and “RoboCop”, or something along those lines. And, a “Soylent Green” style solution to all the new members of what one futurist has labeled the “Useless Class”.

Seems like make and model selection will be the least of one’s motorcycle concerns in the dystopian motorcyclist’s riding world.

Tongue firmly in cheek,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Unabomber manifesto
    John Simonds
    2016 Honda CRF 250L 2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.