• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650CS Question

bluehole

I got a chance to see an F650CS yesterday. I spoke with the owner for a while and this is an interesting motorcycle. Under seat fuel tank. Belt drive. Storage/utility space in front of the rider (where one would normally find the gas tank). The owner really likes it. He says it is nimble and it moves right along.

I noticed the oil dispstick on the top right side of the storage space..well above the engine. What is the deal with the dipstick in this location? Is it a yard long? :)

bluehole;1098083 I noticed the oil dispstick on the top right side of the storage space..well above the engine. What is the deal with the dipstick in this location? Is it a yard long? :)[/QUOTE said:
Maybe it's a dry sump engine with a oil tank???

I got a chance to see an F650CS yesterday. I spoke with the owner for a while and this is an interesting motorcycle. Under seat fuel tank. Belt drive. Storage/utility space in front of the rider (where one would normally find the gas tank). The owner really likes it. He says it is nimble and it moves right along.

I noticed the oil dipstick on the top right side of the storage space..well above the engine. What is the deal with the dipstick in this location? Is it a yard long? :)

bluehole,

I currently own a 2005 F650CS (for sale BTW) and yes the dip stick is quite long. Haven't actually measured it, but would say it's close to 12" to 14" in length. The oil is contained within the bike frame. How it lubricates the motor is a mystery to me.

I would agree that it's nimble and moves quite well for a single cylinder, but it can be very buzzy at times and not quite large enough for 2 up riding. Also it's very rare that I see one on the road.

My wife and I like to ride together, so we have since upgraded to a 2008 R1200GSA.

Photo taken at Dan Ingalls Overlook, Virginia. August 2011. Solo trip from NC to Western NY

FB_IMG_1490993271377.jpg

Ready to ride the new bike!

20170813_141127_resized.jpg

Dave
2008 1200GSA
MOA# 213524
Past Bikes: BMW F650CS (for sale)

The oil is in the frame. That is interesting. The owner of the F650CS is a young, single guy who rides a lot around town so the bike is perfect for his riding environment. He loves it.

I know that overlook. I stopped there on my way to Lake Moomaw a few years ago. Ironically, there were two guys on F650s at that rest stop. :)

Nice upgrade. The GSA is a nice motorcycle and should meet your two up riding needs...and more.

I noticed the oil dispstick on the top right side of the storage space..well above the engine. What is the deal with the dipstick in this location? Is it a yard long? :)

The CS was like the Funduro F650s. It is a "dry sump" design with the oil in a "tank" in the frame. The oil pump provides lubrication flow from the tank and return flow from the sump to the tank.

Back