Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Anything wrong w/ this logic? Setting tire pressure using a warm tire with TPMS

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    That means for all these years I have been riding motorcycles and driving cars with non-standard air pressures. How did I survive???
    Probably because having a precise manufacturer prescribed tire pressure is not as critical as this discussion would lead us all to believe. For example - for my K75 BMW specifies pressures for Solo, Solo with luggage, and Two-Up. So is solo me at 160 or Bubba at 320? Is with luggage a computer and jacket in the bags on a commute or 100 pounds of camping gear on a trip? Is two-up with a svelt young friend or a Bubba's heavy weight wife? And BMW doesn't mention two-up with luggage.

Thus have evolved a few rules of thumb for more precisely adjusting tire pressures but I won't even go there. This thread is enough.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Just kick the tires and light the fires...
    JWMcDonald
    2016 R1200RS (current)
    2003 R1150RS (prior) / 1978 R80/7 (prior) / 1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    ...Is two-up with a svelt young friend?
    As an old married guy whose wife can't ride anymore, I have strict orders from the Director of Finances and Recreation not to engage in that practice. The implications of incorrect tire pressure would be the least of my problems.
    Lee A. Dickinson - Danielsville, GA USA
    MOA 80364 | RA 29650 | ABC 3480 | IBA 8914
    1992 R100RS - 1993 K1100RS - 2013 R1200GS

Ozzie Flyer
    This not a discussion about new technology but more of a discussion about" I have always done it that way for 50 years and don't want to change"

Set the pressures anyway you like. Cold with a gauge, hot with TPMS" just ensure you set them.
    The science of BMW TPMS ambient tyre pressure calculations are not arguable.

If you don't like technology, don't use it, but don't bag it because it is different to the way you do it.
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

Quote Originally Posted by pch123 View Post
    This not a discussion about new technology but more of a discussion about" I have always done it that way for 50 years and don't want to change"

Set the pressures anyway you like. Cold with a gauge, hot with TPMS" just ensure you set them.
    The science of BMW TPMS ambient tyre pressure calculations are not arguable.

If you don't like technology, don't use it, but don't bag it because it is different to the way you do it.
    You are correct, the science is not at issue, however, the execution is undoubtedly in question.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    You are correct, the science is not at issue, however, the execution is undoubtedly in question.
    Cant see why
    Perfectly straight forward to me
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE