• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle of the year

As far as the protective gear goes......I had to chuckle at Bloomsburg as it was left in a lot of tents!

It so often is, by the supposed adults in the room at most BMW MOA rallies. For ten or so years Voni and I have been instructors for Camp Gears for young riders at the National and we preach ATGATT. And then we go outside with the young riders and observe many, many of the adult rally attendees riding around the rally grounds in shorts, without helmets, with sandals or even flip-flops.

So when I read on this forum and other forae, and on internet mailing lists all about how we BMW riders are ATGATT I usually scoff and grin. Go to a rally and see the truth.

Biker VS Motorcyclist

I'm glad I asked what the definition was from Gail's post on Biker vs. Motorcyclist, because I hadn't really thought about it. When I view a group of bikers, typically on loud, shiny, big cruisers (yes, usually Harley's) with the vests, tats, do-rags, and such, I do think they are more about image, and lifestyle, then the riding. I have made an effort to take training where and when I can, and become the best, safest rider I can be, while still enjoying the thrill riding on two wheels, and seeking centrifugal force. Maybe though, it speaks to something deeper and more basic. I've never run with the crowd, mostly a loner, often swimming upstream, going my own way. To join a group and adorn myself in a uniform to become a belonger goes against my grain. I did that once in my life, at the request of the President of the United States, for 730 wakeups, but I like making my own clothing choices in the morning (sorry, I digress!). My main focus after my work, and my family, is riding the back roads of America, and I do it mostly alone. I would prefer to run with someone who likes to ride similarly to me (my wife would worry less), but its hard to hook up dates, places, etc. I suspect a high proportion of the motorcyclists on this forum may relate to me.

20150521_113550.jpg

People want to be cool and to belong.

Buy a Harley and you're in.

It's a quick fix.

Actually learning how to ride and ride well takes some time and commitment. And who wants to wear all that protective gear? Makes you look like a dork.

I wanted to be an astronaut, but that flight suit would make me look like a dork. Then I wanted to be a diver...

:)

Back