• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorcycle of the year

Though obviously, we're venturing into getting 'snooty' with each other here, every question deserves an answer.

For me, a 'biker' rides to fit into a lifestyle or sub-culture that defies logic (safe practices), impresses his/her fellow riders (peer pressure/herd mentality), displays reckless behavior (group antics and substance abuse) and invokes attention from all observers (loud pipes, outrageous attire or appearance, excessive tats, etc.).

A 'motorcyclist,' though still very individualistic, modifies his/her bike for performance, safety or comfort - not obnoxious "look at me" behavior, wears appropriate gear and rides for perfection, not attention.

I never promote myself as a particular category - I let how I dress and ride define me to others.

Though certain brands are associated with either group, it's not what you ride - it's how you ride. :dance

Look at the accessories a rider puts on his/her bike. Are they for the most part on the machine to convey an image and enhance appearance (well polished chrome, leather fringe, skulls, various bullet shaped things, a long piece of braided leather dangling from a set of ape hanger bars)? How about what the rider is wearing (rag wrapped head, wife beater shirt, chaps)? Or are the accessories on the bike primarily to enhance safety, performance, comfort, functionality or durability)? There in lies a part of the difference.

The September issue of rider arrived in the mail today and the motorcycle of the year is
Harley-Davidson Milwaukee-Eight Touring Family

Any comments?
This reminds of back in the day when I used to follow Car of the year. Car and Driver, Moto Week and Motor Trend. Some of the picks were amazing, 1974 Mustang II, 1975 Chevy Monza, 1976 Dodge Aspen - Plymouth Volare on and on including 2002 Ford Thunderbird. It makes for some great humor reading these lists of the best.

OK, I'll bite, what's the diff?

Scott

View attachment 62943

Hi Scott, to me a" biker" is someone with a noisy bike, none or very little ATGATT, and a view that riding is a "lifestyle" rather than an activity.

A Motorcyclist is a rider who has a quiet bike, ATGATT, and views riding as a dangerous activity, whose dangers can be mitigated through training, riding gear selection and riding practices.

There, does that make me an elitist? Maybe it does, however I'm the poster boy for how well ATGATT works...........Rod.

Though obviously, we're venturing into getting 'snooty' with each other here, every question deserves an answer.

For me, a 'biker' rides to fit into a lifestyle or sub-culture that defies logic (safe practices), impresses his/her fellow riders (peer pressure/herd mentality), displays reckless behavior (group antics and substance abuse) and invokes attention from all observers (loud pipes, outrageous attire or appearance, excessive tats, etc.).

A 'motorcyclist,' though still very individualistic, modifies his/her bike for performance, safety or comfort - not obnoxious "look at me" behavior, wears appropriate gear and rides for perfection, not attention.

I never promote myself as a particular category - I let how I dress and ride define me to others.

Though certain brands are associated with either group, it's not what you ride - it's how you ride. :dance

Excellent definition indeed.

I'm all over the country. I see a lot of motorcycles every where I go. Just a guess, but it seems like I see 100 H/D's to 1 of everything else.

People want to be cool and to belong.

Buy a Harley and you're in.

It's a quick fix.

Actually learning how to ride and ride well takes some time and commitment. And who wants to wear all that protective gear? Makes you look like a dork.

As far as the protective gear goes......I had to chuckle at Bloomsburg as it was left in a lot of tents!

Back