• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A slight rant.....

If allowed?..........

So I go to the doc yesterday, tune-up , oil change :) I'm fine .

The new nurse walks me back, notices my hat, [BMW logo] and asks is that cars or motorcycles? me..Motorcycles......her.....oh man I'll take my HD anytime, the roar of that big v-twin, those [pointing at my hat] are too light in a crosswind , on & on about how her HD was superior to my BMW . You get the picture I'm sure?

So I politely & briefly explain my background, & the fact that I am approaching a million miles on a motorcycle in 50+ years...but thanked her for educating me on the ins & outs of motorcycles.....I mean after all, she does have 5 years in the saddle and other than putting it on & off the trailer :) she does her own riding.

Now!.....I don't bash, so I won't but.....That attitude is like nails on a chalkboard too me....and I must admit a small factor in my decision to avoid that crowd , and shy away from that brand..............:dunno

If allowed?..........

The new nurse walks me back, notices my hat, [BMW logo] and asks is that cars or motorcycles? me..Motorcycles......her.....oh man I'll take my HD anytime, the roar of that big v-twin, those [pointing at my hat] are too light in a crosswind , on & on about how her HD was superior to my BMW . You get the picture I'm sure?

So I politely & briefly explain my background, & the fact that I am approaching a million miles on a motorcycle in 50+ years...but thanked her for educating me on the ins & outs of motorcycles.....I mean after all, she does have 5 years in the saddle and other than putting it on & off the trailer :) she does her own riding.

Now!.....I don't bash, so I won't but.....That attitude is like nails on a chalkboard too me....and I must admit a small factor in my decision to avoid that crowd , and shy away from that brand..............:dunno

I love my Harley XR1200- loud quick unique
I love my Triumph Thunderbird sport: classic, head-turner naked, just "motorcycle"
I love my R1200RT Comfy, full featured, precise,

I love my Harley XR1200- loud quick unique
I love my Triumph Thunderbird sport: classic, head-turner naked, just "motorcycle"
I love my R1200RT Comfy, full featured, precise,

I too like Sportsters...my first M/C was a 59 [bought in 65] I also like "naked" motorcycles.....that's why I have never owned an RT....but I'm sure they are sweet :thumb

I agree Ron. The important thing is that you seem to know that trying to change their opinions is a fool's errand.

Last edited:
I too like Sportsters...my first M/C was a 59 [bought in 65] I also like "naked" motorcycles.....that's why I have never owned an RT....but I'm sure they are sweet :thumb

I had a Honda F6B before the RT. That was also amazing. First thing I noticed with the RT was how much more I was buffetted in high winds...(What is it? like almost 300lbs lighter!!) I didn't start riding till my late 50's (MY late fifties, not THE late fifties) so I guess I'm trying to make up for many years of not riding, so far the RT is a keeper though. The Harley is new for me too- I really thought I'd never get one, but I am pleasantly suprised- took it up through the Adirondacks for two days and had a blast. But, in keeping with the topic, I too wouldn't argue my choices in motorcycles. I'm thinking that "[brand name] is the best bike and better than yours" is a pointless argument.

If allowed?..........

My favorite comeback, except she's a girl, "you know what they say, the louder the pipes, the smaller the organ".

She's a fool because she's rude and ignorant. Never, ever diss another person's choice in machinery. Variety is what makes the world go round.

Why would her opinion really matter to you? You like what you are riding, so... be happy!

Why would her opinion really matter to you? You like what you are riding, so... be happy!

Not sure who you are responding too?....If me?...where did I say her opinion mattered? I only indicated that her attitude annoyed me.

If allowed?..........

:laugh I feel your pain. I would have politely told her to "shut the f..k up cause you don't know what the hell your talking about!!". But your a gentleman and I would do it just to see the expression on her stupid face.

:laugh I feel your pain. I would have politely told her to "shut the f..k up cause you don't know what the hell your talking about!!". But your a gentleman and I would do it just to see the expression on her stupid face.

:thumb.........but I was in the doctors office....so I felt I needed to behave....:dunno

What's unfortunate, is that she is likely just spewing out the misinformation she has been spoon fed by someone she knows; quite possibly a spouse or close friend who is more ignorant and simple minded than she is. She is just parroting what she has been led to believe is true.

Though I don't/can't live by it all the time, there is an expression, "assume good will"In this case that'd be assuming she was responding to a rider of a different brand to the best of her ability, limited social-skill ability., and that somewhere in there was a desire/willingness to engage with another rider. Conversations like that can go either way, but sometimes it's a challenge to look for a common ground or turn it into a meaningful discussion. Othertimes, perhaps in this case, it's easiest or best to just just let it ride and don't take the bait- especially if I can't "assume good will".

Being a woman, I can say this and get away with it... There are some women, for whatever reason (ignorance, etc.) will say curt things to a man simply because she knows she can probably get away with it. Most men are gentlemen and won't say anything harsh to a woman especially if she is a stranger. Obviously, this old gal was an idiot, and just didn't have the good sense to keep her mouth shut. This type of woman will unload on a man, then boo-hoo when he says something curt back to her. Just my two cents worth. :violin

BMW basher

If allowed?..........

I see Harley riders in the motel parking lots cleaning their bikes while I clean my RT's windshield and I always make a comment about how beautiful their bikes look. That usually breaks the ice and most times we end up talking bikes, roads, where we've come from, where we're heading. Sometimes they'll make a positive comment about the RT. I mean, we're all bikers. I know some, on both sides, rag the other side, and I guess I have too here and there, but we're all lookin' centrifical force, seeing the sights and smellin' the smells. Oh lucky us!

georgeRun2.jpg

Back