Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A slight rant.....

What's unfortunate, is that she is likely just spewing out the misinformation she has been spoon fed by someone she knows; quite possibly a spouse or close friend who is more ignorant and simple minded than she is. She is just parroting what she has been led to believe is true.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Though I don't/can't live by it all the time, there is an expression, "assume good will"In this case that'd be assuming she was responding to a rider of a different brand to the best of her ability, limited social-skill ability., and that somewhere in there was a desire/willingness to engage with another rider. Conversations like that can go either way, but sometimes it's a challenge to look for a common ground or turn it into a meaningful discussion. Othertimes, perhaps in this case, it's easiest or best to just just let it ride and don't take the bait- especially if I can't "assume good will".

Being a woman, I can say this and get away with it... There are some women, for whatever reason (ignorance, etc.) will say curt things to a man simply because she knows she can probably get away with it. Most men are gentlemen and won't say anything harsh to a woman especially if she is a stranger. Obviously, this old gal was an idiot, and just didn't have the good sense to keep her mouth shut. This type of woman will unload on a man, then boo-hoo when he says something curt back to her. Just my two cents worth.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

BMW basher

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    If allowed?..........

So I go to the doc yesterday, tune-up , oil change I'm fine .

The new nurse walks me back, notices my hat, [BMW logo] and asks is that cars or motorcycles? me..Motorcycles......her.....oh man I'll take my HD anytime, the roar of that big v-twin, those [pointing at my hat] are too light in a crosswind , on & on about how her HD was superior to my BMW . You get the picture I'm sure?

So I politely & briefly explain my background, & the fact that I am approaching a million miles on a motorcycle in 50+ years...but thanked her for educating me on the ins & outs of motorcycles.....I mean after all, she does have 5 years in the saddle and other than putting it on & off the trailer she does her own riding.

Now!.....I don't bash, so I won't but.....That attitude is like nails on a chalkboard too me....and I must admit a small factor in my decision to avoid that crowd , and shy away from that brand..............
    I see Harley riders in the motel parking lots cleaning their bikes while I clean my RT's windshield and I always make a comment about how beautiful their bikes look. That usually breaks the ice and most times we end up talking bikes, roads, where we've come from, where we're heading. Sometimes they'll make a positive comment about the RT. I mean, we're all bikers. I know some, on both sides, rag the other side, and I guess I have too here and there, but we're all lookin' centrifical force, seeing the sights and smellin' the smells. Oh lucky us!

georgeRun2.jpg

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by snotty54 View Post
    Is that a copy of ON you're reading?

Considering the rigidity and width of the item, it's probably a map book.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

More likely Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Inluence People".
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

If allowed?..........

The new nurse walks me back, notices my hat, [BMW logo] and asks is that cars or motorcycles? me..Motorcycles......her.....oh man I'll take my HD anytime, the roar of that big v-twin, those [pointing at my hat] are too light in a crosswind , on & on about how her HD was superior to my BMW . You get the picture I'm sure?

So I politely & briefly explain my background, & the fact that I am approaching a million miles on a motorcycle in 50+ years...but thanked her for educating me on the ins & outs of motorcycles.....I mean after all, she does have 5 years in the saddle and other than putting it on & off the trailer she does her own riding.

Now!.....I don't bash, so I won't but.....That attitude is like nails on a chalkboard too me....and I must admit a small factor in my decision to avoid that crowd , and shy away from that brand..............
    Let me preface this with the fact I work with a former motor officer and we commute in to the office routinely together. We routinely take shots regarding "Bring More Wallet" and "Hundred Dollars".

As instructors of young men and women they will try to divide the house by showing preference in the bikes we ride regardless of whether they ride or not. I have become quiet proficient at stopping the snotty remarks. I love the "mine has a bigger engine" or "at least mine is made in the US".

If they ride, not every other third Sunday ride, I have found great banter and new friends. If they don't ride or just think they do, they are greatly offended when you bite back then go away.

Either way, I feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If allowed?..........

After many years of hearing the same kind of baloney, I have learned that there is no use in even trying to make any attempt to educate or influence them. Just smile and say thanks for the info BTW, I have owned and ridden just about every brand of motorcycle including that famous American brand , so I'm not bashing anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Considering the rigidity and width of the item, it's probably a map book.
    I'm impressed someone can carry an Atlas on a bike and keep it looking that good
    Last edited by Lee; 07-28-2017 at 01:23 PM.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by snotty54 View Post
    I see Harley riders in the motel parking lots cleaning their bikes while I clean my RT's windshield and I always make a comment about how beautiful their bikes look. That usually breaks the ice and most times we end up talking bikes, roads, where we've come from, where we're heading. Sometimes they'll make a positive comment about the RT. I mean, we're all bikers. I know some, on both sides, rag the other side, and I guess I have too here and there, but we're all lookin' centrifical force, seeing the sights and smellin' the smells. Oh lucky us!

georgeRun2.jpg
    That's been my experience too. I guess what you bring to the game defines the game!

I have no dog in this hunt....

I drive a BMW GS, a scooter, a Can-am Spyder and I am a MSF Instructor that teaches the H-D Riding Academy. Think I have all my bases covered!!

Quote Originally Posted by crna59 View Post
    I have no dog in this hunt....

I drive a BMW GS, a scooter, a Can-am Spyder and I am a MSF Instructor that teaches the H-D Riding Academy. Think I have all my bases covered!!
    Yup, I think you can annoy everyone.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost