• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pics from the Norton National

Last edited:
Here's a photo of my 1970 Commando. This was before I put the bar-end mirrors on to replace the over-sized stock ones.

750-002.jpg

french007.jpg

A single Mikuni? That's blasphemy! :laugh
Slightly, you're right. However, it sure makes it run better and using a larger intake manifold will restore much of the otherwise lost top-end.

I do have a pair of Keihin Flat Slided FCR 35mm Dual Carbs to go on it this winter along with adjustable front fork inserts and a set of Ikon shocks to round everything out. Absolutely have to be careful or one can spend a ton on these things, when - for me at least - they are best experienced in a state that is fairly close to the original. One of the reasons I've got two.
:dance ;)
Keihin Flat Slide FCR 35mm Dual Carb setup.jpg

I attended the INOA rally last month in Buena Vista, VA. Two of us rode our Commandos from NE Massachusetts. Just over 2,000 miles and no issues. Actually found riding the Norton with a hard Corbin seat to be a lot more comfortable than the God-awful sadistic torture device that is the stock seat on my 2016 RT.

Attachments

• IMG_8224.jpg
    IMG_8224.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_8227.jpg
    IMG_8227.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 145
I attended the INOA rally last month in Buena Vista, VA. Two of us rode our Commandos from NE Massachusetts. Just over 2,000 miles and no issues. Actually found riding the Norton with a hard Corbin seat to be a lot more comfortable than the God-awful sadistic torture device that is the stock seat on my 2016 RT.
I'm impressed. Sounds to me like Ya'll had a nice long ride on Nortons. :thumb

Is this a Norton Ranger or P-11? Can't tell if this is a twin or single. Cool bike either way. :thumb

Actually, neither. It is a P11A. 750 twin motor as in all the P11 series. It is sporting early style hi-pipes like a P11. These Norton/Matchless hybrids can be quite confusing as there were no less than 4 variants in the 18 months of production!

Ron L

Actually, neither. It is a P11A. 750 twin motor as in all the P11 series. It is sporting early style hi-pipes like a P11. These Norton/Matchless hybrids can be quite confusing as there were no less than 4 variants in the 18 months of production!

Ron L

I gotta friend who owns several of the variations of the Ranger/P-11. I think Matchless was a part of that motorcycle group at the time and they had their own variation of that machine and were badged accordendly. Their history was a part of being desert style off road road race bikes. Pretty neat stuff back in the day.

Hi, I'm the original owner of a 75 850 Commando.

In 1977 I rode it from Ontario to BC and back. It died in Brandon Manitoba on the return trip.

The stellite cap wasn't brazed onto the cam follower properly, and it came off, breaking the timing gears and breaking a valve. The owner of a local garage put me up for a week and a bit, I pumped gas by day, worked on the bike when parts came in from Firth's in Toronto by Greyhound bus.

I was a total stranger to that man, however when I pushed the bike up to the gas station and explained my plight, he left me to take the bike apart, telling me where he lived, to lock up the garage on my way out, and not be later than 7PM if I wanted his wife to save me dinner.

Random acts of kindness from strangers, he's motivated me to always try to pay it forward..............Rod.

What a great story! Thanks. :thumb

Missing Pipe

Twin or Single ? I don't know, but my buddy, a very early MOA member talked to the owner of this bike. He bought it new in '68 and kept it till now.
View attachment 62878

Maybe someone will start a thread of BMW Owners who have kept their bikes for a pretty good while. Not a contest for oldest, but just for fun.

Charlie

No left-side exhaust pipe is visible, as it should be on a twin, so it's probably a single.

Gorgeous bikes!

You piqued my curiosity about Norton since I had heard that they are back in production. The new bikes look very appealing also! I hope that the company can find enough buyers and grow their market share as Triumph did when they were revived.

Back