Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pics from the Norton National

Pics from the Norton National

Pics from the mid week Norton National held near where I live a week or so ago. I was welcomed as a local after asking to look around.

Attendance was 300 +-

Charlie

IMG_5798.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg

Norton National

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

Sorry about orientation. Life's too short to try to fix crazy, since you can't fix crazy anyway.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    Any idea who RODE their bikes there? maybe ignorance on my part, but my assumption is that you don't ride old Norton's across country like you can still do with BMW Airhead's.

Apples to Oranges (at first but the same later).

Interesting, though, to think what the MOA would be like if you eliminated everything BMW made in the last 40-50 yrs

I'm pretty sure there are all kinds (that rode too) in attendance. All seemed to be having a good time. I personally talked with some nice folks.

What I saw was average light midday, plus a bike show etc.
    Most were out riding the rather nice roads round here.

Sure are a lot of Colonialist still around !

Charlie

Left Coast Rider
    I went to the USNOA Rally in Tennessee in 1981 or '82. What a great time with a great group of riders. Highlight of the rally (for me) was when T.C. Christenson, who had made the trip from Wisconsin, unloaded The Hogslayer on a long local driveway, suited up, fired up, and just let 'er rip. Wow! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvopCDu0CIE

The other memorable event was the Bent Valve Award which went to the rattiest Norton to have been ridden to the rally. That year it went to a couple of good ole boys who looked scary but who were in fact the friendliest of a really friendly group of folks. I'm not sure how their bike kept running but it did - tin foil for fuses and epoxied nuts holding on the exhaust headers.

Considering how long ago it was and how vivid the memories are for me, I must have had a good time!

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    There was a Norton Rally in the midwest many years ago and if I recall the story correctly, a group of Norton riders from the West Coast set out for the rally accompanied by a couple of riders on Gold Wings. As I was told the story, all of the Nortons made it to the Rally without incident, but one of the Gold Wings had a brakdown. Not what one would expect but, stranger things have happened.

In 1974, I put 5,000 trouble free miles on my 1973 Norton 850 Commando during a cross-country trip. It did break down on the way home but upon tear down that winter it was discovered to have been the result of improper assembly at the factory. Not uncommon at the time, unfortunately, and a small/medium part of the reason for the demise of the British motorcycle industry.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

I attended a Norton rally at Stoney Run county park in Illinois back in the early 80's and remember it as a very good time. Nice people, lots of food and fun field events. The sponsoring dealer was selling raffle tickets for a customised Norton but had to substitute a Triumph at closing ceremonies when not many tickets were sold, but everyone seemed OK with it. Was anyone else on this forum there as well?

Didn't know there were still any Norton events anywhere, haven't seen one on the road for quite a while.

Is this a Norton Ranger or P-11? Can't tell if this is a twin or single. Cool bike either way.

Twin or Single ? I don't know, but my buddy, a very early MOA member talked to the owner of this bike. He bought it new in '68 and kept it till now.
    DSCN4127.jpg

Maybe someone will start a thread of BMW Owners who have kept their bikes for a pretty good while. Not a contest for oldest, but just for fun.

Charlie

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 43912 View Post
    I attended a Norton rally at Stoney Run county park in Illinois back in the early 80's and remember it as a very good time. Nice people, lots of food and fun field events. The sponsoring dealer was selling raffle tickets for a customised Norton but had to substitute a Triumph at closing ceremonies when not many tickets were sold, but everyone seemed OK with it. Was anyone else on this forum there as well?

Didn't know there were still any Norton events anywhere, haven't seen one on the road for quite a while.
    Yes, they're still very active.

The Rally you attended would have been under the United States Norton Owners Association (USNOA - founded in the late 1970s), in 1992 they merged with the Canadian Norton Owners Association to form the International Norton Owners Association (INOA). There are 36 local chapters and affiliates across the US and Canada.

The INOA Rally is held every July and there are typically several Nortons ridden considerable distances to attend (not the same ratios as for Airheads, but then again, all improvements to Nortons from 1975 on have been owner community based while Airheads benefited from continued development until 1995 and direct factory support afterwards.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando

Left Coast Rider
    Twin or Single ? I don't know, but my buddy, a very early MOA member talked to the owner of this bike. He bought it new in '68 and kept it till now.
    DSCN4127.jpg
    Norton Atlas. Shook enough to loosen your fillings. Heaps of fun and made a beautiful noise. The style of those pipes are from a later Commando.

Nice eye candy, thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us...

A Question of Balance

Pics from the mid week Norton National held near where I live a week or so ago. I was welcomed as a local after asking to look around.

Attendance was 300 +-

Charlie

IMG_5817.jpg
    I am guessing they tried dyna beads last time