• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Solar Eclipse

Here at the The Old Farmer’s Almanac, we do love our folklore and mythology—and there’s nothing like a total solar eclipse to get folks wondering why things happen. For the Sun to suddenly disappear demands explanation—or, let’s say, imagination! People around the world, especially in ancient times, have come up with many interesting stories, legends, and superstitions.

https://www.almanac.com/content/solar-eclipse-folklore-myths-and-superstitions

I usually feel safe with my "passive shade" not auto darkening, #10 welding helmet.

mp10%20-%20769.jpg

OM

I was told (I guess I could do the research but I will let you) that you need a minimum #14 shade and your standard welding helmet is only 8-10.

So I would do some serious checking before I watched through a welding helmet.

What shade filter do you need????????

Here at the The Old Farmer’s Almanac, we do love our folklore and mythology—and there’s nothing like a total solar eclipse to get folks wondering why things happen. For the Sun to suddenly disappear demands explanation—or, let’s say, imagination! People around the world, especially in ancient times, have come up with many interesting stories, legends, and superstitions.

https://www.almanac.com/content/solar-eclipse-folklore-myths-and-superstitions

I usually feel safe with my "passive shade" not auto darkening, #10 welding helmet.

mp10%20-%20769.jpg

OM

I am driving a life long friend from Michigan to Southern Illinois so he can see the eclipse. He says you need a shade 13 or better. I don't know. I am the transportation guy not the equipment guy. It seems like that in the early 70's he drove up to the far end of Northeast Canada to see one and it was cloudy. So here we will give it another try at Carbondale, IL.

Wayne Koppa
Graying, MI
#71,449

Should be a Fast Eddie's Bon Air, Sunday about 6:00 PM, on the way to our motel.

The #10 is the "standard for" "stick" welding and has worked for me for years :gerg The electric arc is reported to be hotter that the sun. I have taken a peek at an eclipse that occurred some time back and it worked well for viewing. I have never used a shade past #10 so I don't know.
As the welding helmet covers the full face, I feel it is much safer that $2.00 cardboard viewing glasses being sold......but don't know. I have a number of both adjustable and non adjustable auto-dark welding helmets but would have to mess with them a bit before I would try watching the eclipse with them.
OM

For reference-

5d38037692bf8826409773a4b0c8d747--welding.jpg

Route

I am driving a life long friend from Michigan to Southern Illinois so he can see the eclipse. He says you need a shade 13 or better. I don't know. I am the transportation guy not the equipment guy. It seems like that in the early 70's he drove up to the far end of Northeast Canada to see one and it was cloudy. So here we will give it another try at Carbondale, IL.

Wayne Koppa
Graying, MI
#71,449

Should be a Fast Eddie's Bon Air, Sunday about 6:00 PM, on the way to our motel.

If you are at fast eddie's at 6 on Sunday I assume you are staying around there Sunday night if so from Alton to Carbondale I would take Illinois 140 east to Illinois 4 or Illinois 127 than south not far out of your way avoids metro east area and construction on I64 (construction may be shut down for the big day).
I live near Staunton Illinois leaving Monday about 6am and heading south down route 4 planned viewing location ex sister in law home near Vienna, Illinois (about 6 seconds from max time) I know most back roads between Staunton and Vienna and may still not be able to get their but lots of places in between where one can watch.
If any one needs help or info on southern Illinois area send me a pm with phone # and I will try to help.

Secret Route Information

If you are at fast eddie's at 6 on Sunday I assume you are staying around there Sunday night if so from Alton to Carbondale I would take Illinois 140 east to Illinois 4 or Illinois 127 than south not far out of your way avoids metro east area and construction on I64 (construction may be shut down for the big day).
I live near Staunton Illinois leaving Monday about 6am and heading south down route 4 planned viewing location ex sister in law home near Vienna, Illinois (about 6 seconds from max time) I know most back roads between Staunton and Vienna and may still not be able to get their but lots of places in between where one can watch.
If any one needs help or info on southern Illinois area send me a pm with phone # and I will try to help.

Thank you very much.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Shade 12 or higher.

I just read this morning that most welding masks are Shade 10, which isn't high enough. The article recommended at least a Shade 13 (which is a very difficult lense to find), but also said a Shade 12 is more common and would be ok.

Helmet

I picked up a auto darkening helmet at harbor freight many years ago looked at box and instructions claimed two settings 9 and 13 do not know if I will try it got the paper glasses and the last pair of solar binoculars Best Buy had in my area.
Still worried about traffic so we are leaving at 10AM Sunday instead of 6 AM Monday
I am supposed to be in anonymous book but not so 6183046661 if you need help or information southern Illinois area

I picked up a auto darkening helmet at harbor freight many years ago looked at box and instructions claimed two settings 9 and 13 do not know if I will try it got the paper glasses and the last pair of solar binoculars Best Buy had in my area.
Still worried about traffic so we are leaving at 10AM Sunday instead of 6 AM Monday
I am supposed to be in anonymous book but not so 6183046661 if you need help or information southern Illinois area

FWIW...the article I read specifically said auto-darkening welding helmets should not be trusted.

Back