• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Solar Eclipse

Ok what are people planning? Where are you going to go to watch? Are you avoiding the masses and watching the fake one on CNN? Finally what is the proper beverage to imbibe when the sun doesn't shine in the daytime?

It's just an eclipse.

If you want to go where the sun doesn't shine for two months of the year, I have some suggestions and all of them involve the exciting sport of being chased by polar bears or the less exciting, not being goosed by a short sighted horny, young Muskox.

Other than the body damage some of these creatures can do, there is the never-ending soul sucking lack of sunlight. Breakfast at 9:00 PM can be special, once or twice.

Bevvies of choice remains, must have hops, barley and in the form of a little brown soldier.

The earth is flat, and the sun revolves around the earth. Any solar eclipse is just a conspiracy by the world governments, just like the supposed landing of astronauts on the moon.

Chris

The earth is flat, and the sun revolves around the earth. Any solar eclipse is just a conspiracy by the world governments, just like the supposed landing of astronauts on the moon.

Chris

If the earth was flat all of the cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.:brad

This is a rather cool event- happening over a land mass. Borrow a welder's helmet and enjoy the view.
OM

I am taking my two grandsons camping to watch the event. We will have a great time.

Scientific American ran an article in this months issue. The author, a eclipse "true believer", waxed poetic about the grace, balance and precision of the event that plays out on an astronomical scale. For example; just at the edge of totality sunlight pours through canyons on the moon's surface which is visible as beads of light around the black disk. For those with appreciation of such things it is supposed to be a magnificent experience.

I will be walking outside my office in Salem to view my first and possibly only total eclipse of the sun.

Scientific American ran an article in this months issue. The author, a eclipse "true believer", waxed poetic about the grace, balance and precision of the event that plays out on an astronomical scale. For example; just at the edge of totality sunlight pours through canyons on the moon's surface which is visible as beads of light around the black disk. For those with appreciation of such things it is supposed to be a magnificent experience.

I will be walking outside my office in Salem to view my first and possibly only total eclipse of the sun.

Was lucky enough to watch one when I was about 12. It was interesting enough I am making an effort to see it this go round too. Just so happens my home town is once again a good spot to watch it so I am driving back there to see this one in the same place as I saw the first.

I think there is another one coming to North America in 2024 so you should get another crack at it in a few years if you miss this one.

It's a pretty big deal around here with Madras, Oregon (about 30 miles north of Bend) being identified as one of the prime viewing locations on the West coast. Hotel rooms in Bend have been sold out for months at $1000/night and camping, with a four night minimum, is sold out for $500/night. Yup...people paid $2000 for a chunk of dirt.

Us locals are being warned to buy all our groceries a couple of weeks ahead of time and have all your vehicles filled. Feels more like the apocalypse than an eclipse. We'll probably just stand on our deck for 2 minutes with the special glasses and watch. Bend won't have the complete eclipse, but it will be close enough for me.

We're planning to watch it from a friend and fellow MOA rider's front porch between Cambridge and Midvale, ID.

......{snip}.....

Feels more like the apocalypse than an eclipse......{snip}.....
Way back when, an eclipse was thought of as "the end of all life". I think there were human sacrifices to appease the dogs and "put things right".
OM

Way back when, an eclipse was thought of as "the end of all life". I think there were human sacrifices to appease the dogs and "put things right".
OM

I still make small sacrifices of my paycheck to appease the BMW with farkle to ensure a comfortable ride.

X marks the spot

For both 2017 and 2024 Eclipse out the front door about 99% of total. 2017 south about 45 minutes can see total eclipse in 2024 east about 40 minutes total eclipse and people say Illinois sucks. ( and it does hope by 2024 I will be about 10 hours north of present location)

It's possible to get a good representation of how the eclipse will appear and how long it will last by entering your Zip Code here: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

Looking directly at the sun during the event can hurt your eyes. To look at the eclipse, there are multiple options which conform to the standard which is intended to prevent damage to eyes. Not expensive...about $2/pair or less. I got these: https://www.amazon.com/Soluna-Solar...1202304&sr=8-5&keywords=solar+eclipse+glasses

OM

Right you are, sir. Oregon can be weird, but I don't think any human sacrifices are planned. :)

Looking directly at the sun during the event can hurt your eyes. To look at the eclipse, there are multiple options which conform to the standard which is intended to prevent damage to eyes. Not expensive...about $2/pair or less. I got these: https://www.amazon.com/Soluna-Solar...1202304&sr=8-5&keywords=solar+eclipse+glasses

Eclipse.org said:
Maximum Eclipse (also known as "mid-eclipse") - this is the midpoint of the eclipse. If you are in the path of totality, it is the middle of the total phase.
This is the ONLY time it is ever safe to look at the eclipsed Sun directly! The Moon is covering all of the Sun, and the sight is not any brighter than the full Moon. THIS is what all the excitement is about, and it is why you MUST be in the path of totality to see the main event! (In fact, if you try to look at totality through your eclipse glasses during totality, you will not see anything at all!)
(If you are not in the path of totality, you will not see this phase at all - and in that case, you must watch the ENTIRE ECLIPSE through your eclipse glasses!)

A little info on the eclipse.
http://www.eclipse2017.org/xavier_redirect.htm

Back