• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead Luggage Racks

fawudd

I was sure that I had luggage racks for the R 100 GS PD, as I had 2 sets of racks in storage. Today I found out that neither is correct. The Givi luggage on the bike has a damaged hinge, so that set of racks has been removed. I have a set of BMW cases in good shape, and had originally intended to mount these on the bike. This bike needs to support a weekend jaunt to events in the region. It is not going RTW and is not a hardcore off-road machine. What would you do? For bonus points, can anyone visually tell what models these racks fit?

A. Find racks and mount the original BMW cases
B. Put the Givi racks back on, and find some Givi cases
C. Sell what you have and buy some soft luggage

121202ad9afdbc7083147af1d766bae9.jpg

8d46543b6c14dcbc7277a3993d001463.jpg

www.classicvelocity.com

I still don't understand what you are trying to do with the racks; but as you probably already know, set A is for a /6 maybe /7 set of Krausers.......lol.....Now watch all the experts advise what they really are,,,,,,,,,

Set B looks like a mid 80's mono shock , R80 or similar. One long arm straight the other long has a bend in the run.

I was sure that I had luggage racks for the R 100 GS PD, as I had 2 sets of racks in storage. Today I found out that neither is correct. The Givi luggage on the bike has a damaged hinge, so that set of racks has been removed. I have a set of BMW cases in good shape, and had originally intended to mount these on the bike. This bike needs to support a weekend jaunt to events in the region. It is not going RTW and is not a hardcore off-road machine. What would you do? For bonus points, can anyone visually tell what models these racks fit?

A. Find racks and mount the original BMW cases
B. Put the Givi racks back on, and find some Givi cases
C. Sell what you have and buy some soft luggage

121202ad9afdbc7083147af1d766bae9.jpg

8d46543b6c14dcbc7277a3993d001463.jpg

www.classicvelocity.com

Classic Velocity...very nice site....! Thanks for the link.

Any more pics of the Airhead with the Shoei fairing?...I have one of those and was considering mounting it on my 2004 "R"

Classic Velocity...very nice site....! Thanks for the link.

Any more pics of the Airhead with the Shoei fairing?...I have one of those and was considering mounting it on my 2004 "R"

Thanks for the kind words on the blog. It is a labor of love. The Shoei Airhead belongs to a friend of mine. Unfortunately, that is one of very few pics of that very cool bike.

www.classicvelocity.com

BMW airhead saddle bag racks, mounts, attachments, etc. are not easy to figure out from just pics. The many variations can be quite confusing. Short wheel/ long wheel base, twin shock, mono shock, Krauser, Moto case, Denfield, Intragal case, latches, clasps, trunks, trunk mounts, locking mechanisms, keys. Quite a few different vendors with their own variations. You almost need to have the stuff in hand and hold it up to bike in person to see if it fits and if all the pieces are in hand. :dunno I'm confused. :scratch Oh well. :wave

In my experience the Givi bags are far superior to the Krausers and most other BMW bags. However, if you are into the "original look" on the old airhead they don't fit the bill. I would much prefer them to the krausers I have as my airhead enjoyment comes from riding it, not looking at it.

Back