Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Schuberth C4 and Sena SC1

I tried out a C4 today. Nice and quiet helmet with lots of airflow and visibility. But, itís bigger than a C3 Pro and I wasnít convinced I could easily stow it on the bike. I also didnít want to deal with all the surgery required to deal with the SC1 prep when moving my 20S over. My fear was Iíd rip it all out and then suddenly Sena/Schuberth make a breakthrough (maybe an SC2) making the C4 suddenly viable. So, I went with a C3 Pro and moved my Sena 20S over in a matter of minutes. Itís a great upgrade from my very tired C3 and I have no buyerís remorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary - SOLD
    '16 R1200GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Fastman View Post
    I tried out a C4 today. Nice and quiet helmet with lots of airflow and visibility. But, itís bigger than a C3 Pro and I wasnít convinced I could easily stow it on the bike. I also didnít want to deal with all the surgery required to deal with the SC1 prep when moving my 20S over. My fear was Iíd rip it all out and then suddenly Sena/Schuberth make a breakthrough (maybe an SC2) making the C4 suddenly viable. So, I went with a C3 Pro and moved my Sena 20S over in a matter of minutes. Itís a great upgrade from my very tired C3 and I have no buyerís remorse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Good move. I have been using that same setup for a while now, and it works great. On the other hand, I want Sena and Schuberth to get this C4/SC1 situation resolved. Otherwise, I am stuck with a $1200 paperweight.

C3 review

Will add that the C3 or any helmet's noise level is directly related to its design & build, but also to the type of windstream coming at it, of course. Will say that going from an Arai top of line lid to the C3 while riding in the clear windstream [not tucked in] on a Ducati superbike at triple digit speeds with helmet in clear windstream, the C3 is noticeably quieter than the Arai. No wonder, there. In a more turbulent windstream affected by a fairing or windshield, lids are going to get noisier, but still the Schuberth will likely be quieter by a long shot. I do feel naked in the C3 due to its dainty build and skinny metal operable shield locating pins on the body of the helmet. Makes me wonder about its high speed capabilities... but at track speeds, well, one should be on track.

The quietest setting for me for the C3 - with the shield locked down fully and the little flexible chin "flap" tucked under chin as one closes the lid, makes for a nice, peaceful soundspace with NR33-rated earplugs. This is at aforementioned speeds in clear windstream. On my '03 R1150RT with the bike's shield fully up, its bliss to the point I may not wear plugs for commuting or round town. Not sure yet.

Unhappy

My wife and I bought two C4/SC1 combinations last year. Helmet fit was good after compressing a couple of pressure points. Quieter than our old Shoei helmets.
    The problem was with the SC1. Despite claim in the manual and from customer support we were unable to set the intercom function to have priority over music or GPS prompts. Recent release of firmware update for the SC1 hade my hopes up for a fix. However, the Schuberth updater software froze mid update and left the SC1 totally inoperable. It won't even power up.
    Still no response from Schuberth.

Defective Schuberth SC1 Battery 1100 - P/N SC-A0308

I purchased a new C4 and NON-advanced SC1 a few months ago and during the second ride of the season, the comm unit died. Upon arriving home, I charged the battery in the helmet until the red LED turned to blue. I tried to power up the comm unit but it would not respond. I then removed the battery and tested it with my DVM - only about 200 millivolts, when it should be 3.7 VDC! Fortunately I had to forethought to buy a spare battery and will be using it until I contact Schuberth and see if they will honor the warranty on the battery. Another vendor "quality" issue. (Fun fact, the battery is Made in China)
    '72 R75/5

We started to use our C4s and SC1A intercoms this spring.
    Manufacture date on the helmets is Feb 2018 and we purchased them from Engle Motors in Kansas City.
    This is our first time using intercom on our bikes.
    Helmet fit and feel is good, similar to to our previous HJC Sy-Max II and Schuberth Concept before those.
    I always wear ear plugs but noticed this last week on a couple 200 miles rides without ear plugs the helmet was quiet enough.
    I'll probably still use ear plugs on long rides.
    Ventilation is better than any other helmets we have owned.
    On a trip to Texas we were disappointed the SC1a did not have enough volume. Intercom and music was only loud enough at slow speed.
    After the trip I checked settings and turned Audio Boost on. This did not help much.
    Moving the speakers helped but not enough.
    Rode down to KC to have Adam check my SC1A and he agreed the volume was lower than his Sena 20S. He also checked my settings and did not see a problem.
    Later in the week he contacted Sena they suggested I change my firmware back to 1.0. We were using the current 1.1
    This made a big difference in volume.
    Intercom worked good on our ride to the Iowa Rally and back.
    When I tried music last week on the two rides without ear plugs I only had the volume set at level 2 or 3. I think there's 5 levels.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT