• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

US National Park Pass Price Increase for Seniors

ExGMan

Many people already know this, but in case someone did not, the Senior Pass for National Parks and a few others entry fee places has been $10 since 1994. On August 28, 2017, this fee is increasing to $80. It's a lifetime pass and available to those 62 years of age and older.

They're available at National Parks, and also by mail. That said, it seems that the price increase has dramatically increased demand the wait time is about three months by mail. Here are some FAQs about the program: https://store.usgs.gov/faq#New-Senior-Pass-Update

Many people already know this, but in case someone did not, the Senior Pass for National Parks and a few others entry fee places has been $10 since 1994. On August 28, 2017, this fee is increasing to $80. It's a lifetime pass and available to those 62 years of age and older.

They're available at National Parks, and also by mail. That said, it seems that the price increase has dramatically increased demand the wait time is about three months by mail. Here are some FAQs about the program: https://store.usgs.gov/faq#New-Senior-Pass-Update

NPS is projecting a staff reduction of 4200 in the next year to meet projected budget goals. Don't get in a hurry for that pass.

Screw the park pass. (I'm 70. :gerg ) I'll ride on The Blue Ridge Parkway. That's all the park I need and it's free.

Screw the park pass. (I'm 70. :gerg ) I'll ride on The Blue Ridge Parkway. That's all the park I need and it's free.

We just visited 11 NP's using the pass I got last year. Never got so much for so little. And what beautiful sights to behold. The BRP is a great ride but there is so much more to experience. I hope you reconsider if you haven't already visited these treasures.

It's not just for National Park admission. Bought mine at a nearby National Forest Service office. The half-price savings on two nights' campground fees at Dumont Lake and Black Canyon of the Gunnison more than paid for it.

I went to five national parks in Utah and Yellowstone in the last couple months. It more than paid for itself.

Chris

I lived about two miles from the BRP for several years. It is wonderful to behold indeed, but if that's where you set your limits, then you are indeed cheating yourself.

It's not just for National Park admission. Bought mine at a nearby National Forest Service office. The half-price savings on two nights' campground fees at Dumont Lake and Black Canyon of the Gunnison more than paid for it.

In my humble opinion, in the East, you are more likely to use it at Forest Service sites than NPS sites.

Geezer pass

NPS is projecting a staff reduction of 4200 in the next year to meet projected budget goals. Don't get in a hurry for that pass.
Lots of places you can get them besides National parks , my wife and I purchased ours at National Great Rivers Museum near Alton, Illinois. We also could have purchased them at the Lincoln sites in Springfield

I spent 31 years in the Army. I will never "camp" again. :)

I think our park system is GREAT but in 70 years and I've been there and done that. I'm not going to pay $80 to do it again. Besides, in my old age I like to go where other people don't go. :wave

The point is, GF, you can get the life time pass for $10 if you do it now. I also spent 27 years sleeping in the rocks or wait-a-minute vines like a lizard. Camping is different now.... they let you have wine.

Thats the way to do it if you can. We were to young for the senior pass and spent a bundle at several Nat'l parks in Colorado. Rocky mountain park was $20 day pass per motorcycle...seemed a bit step when most other parks are half price for bikes.

Thats the way to do it if you can. We were to young for the senior pass and spent a bundle at several Nat'l parks in Colorado. Rocky mountain park was $20 day pass per motorcycle...seemed a bit step when most other parks are half price for bikes.

It seems that each NP has it's own rate structure. RMNP is the only NP that is within an hour or so drive of a major metro area, and has seen an explosion of visitors to it over the last few years. 4.5 Million visited last year alone. that's a lot of infrastructure usage.
The prices at Rocky are the same as at Yellowstone and Grand Canyon, so there is some consistency.

The $10 Senior Pass is one HELLUVA good deal! Mine more than paid for itself in just two one days- free entrance at Badlands NP, and half price camping at Wind Cave.

That is some seriously short-sighted, and self-limiting, thinking. While nice, the BRP is a far cry from the best of the rest of what America has to offer.
The $10 Senior Pass is one HELLUVA good deal! Mine more than paid for itself in just two days..... one day's free entrance at Badlands NP, and half price camping at Wind Cave. Also got to use it at Theodore Roosevelt NP for entrance fees and reduced camping. At that point, the Pass was paying ME to use it!

America is a gorgeous country, vast and varied. If you never go beyond what you already know, you are really cheating only yourself. Sad.

Last edited:
... Somewhat not humorous, but true and just my luck. Some TEN years back, my buddy had just turned 62 as we began a summer ride.
We arrived at a NP entrance gate where he was delighted to score the $10 Lifetime Pass. At age 51 that trip, I pulled out the $80 whoppers for the 1 Year Pass. Since then, on at least five occasions annually while riding with him... he's flashed that original Pass and I've reached for $80 out of my wallet.
And I've bought the Pass all 10 ten years ($800) actually.
Was happily thinking that in September, that would be the nicest $10 spot I would spend for future riding pleasure.
Guess I missed by $70! But I'll tell you... those trips and experiences within the many Parks have been fantastic.
Nothing compares to being the first and only person/vehicle through the gate at Teddy Roosevelt NP (North Unit) for the ride out to the canyon turnaround.
Well maybe riding into Kennicott Mine NP, AK. Or Key Biscayne Fl and a midnite Keys ride; even arriving at the top of Mt Desert Island, Acadia NP on a mid September morning. You get the idea; and especially so if you've received the National Parks Tour Award from the IBA, for achievement of motorcycle touring.
This $880 and BMW travel, is still looking like quite a bargain. And I'm fortunate to have shared it with many riding friends.

"travel'n" john

Pass

Not much time left to get cheap pass
Remember $70 =3 oil filter kits from your dealer
New front tire not from your dealer
More cheap beer than you can haul on your bike
Last they will take that extra money and close some area you like

Back