Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US National Park Pass Price Increase for Seniors

Quote Originally Posted by wasppandd View Post
    Thats the way to do it if you can. We were to young for the senior pass and spent a bundle at several Nat'l parks in Colorado. Rocky mountain park was $20 day pass per motorcycle...seemed a bit step when most other parks are half price for bikes.
    It seems that each NP has it's own rate structure. RMNP is the only NP that is within an hour or so drive of a major metro area, and has seen an explosion of visitors to it over the last few years. 4.5 Million visited last year alone. that's a lot of infrastructure usage.
    The prices at Rocky are the same as at Yellowstone and Grand Canyon, so there is some consistency.

The $10 Senior Pass is one HELLUVA good deal! Mine more than paid for itself in just two one days- free entrance at Badlands NP, and half price camping at Wind Cave.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    Screw the park pass. (I'm 70. ) I'll ride on The Blue Ridge Parkway. That's all the park I need and it's free.
    That is some seriously short-sighted, and self-limiting, thinking. While nice, the BRP is a far cry from the best of the rest of what America has to offer.
    The $10 Senior Pass is one HELLUVA good deal! Mine more than paid for itself in just two days..... one day's free entrance at Badlands NP, and half price camping at Wind Cave. Also got to use it at Theodore Roosevelt NP for entrance fees and reduced camping. At that point, the Pass was paying ME to use it!

America is a gorgeous country, vast and varied. If you never go beyond what you already know, you are really cheating only yourself. Sad.
    Last edited by bikerfish1100; 08-06-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    ... Somewhat not humorous, but true and just my luck. Some TEN years back, my buddy had just turned 62 as we began a summer ride.
    We arrived at a NP entrance gate where he was delighted to score the $10 Lifetime Pass. At age 51 that trip, I pulled out the $80 whoppers for the 1 Year Pass. Since then, on at least five occasions annually while riding with him... he's flashed that original Pass and I've reached for $80 out of my wallet.
    And I've bought the Pass all 10 ten years ($800) actually.
    Was happily thinking that in September, that would be the nicest $10 spot I would spend for future riding pleasure.
    Guess I missed by $70! But I'll tell you... those trips and experiences within the many Parks have been fantastic.
    Nothing compares to being the first and only person/vehicle through the gate at Teddy Roosevelt NP (North Unit) for the ride out to the canyon turnaround.
    Well maybe riding into Kennicott Mine NP, AK. Or Key Biscayne Fl and a midnite Keys ride; even arriving at the top of Mt Desert Island, Acadia NP on a mid September morning. You get the idea; and especially so if you've received the National Parks Tour Award from the IBA, for achievement of motorcycle touring.
    This $880 and BMW travel, is still looking like quite a bargain. And I'm fortunate to have shared it with many riding friends.

"travel'n" john

Pass

Not much time left to get cheap pass
    Remember $70 =3 oil filter kits from your dealer
    New front tire not from your dealer
    More cheap beer than you can haul on your bike
    Last they will take that extra money and close some area you like

The NPS Fee Axe Is Ready to Fall

John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Hits 4 of the 5 National Parks here in UT. $50 to ride your bike from Springdale, UT through the corner of Zionís NP to Mt. Carmel Junction and on to Bryce. I donít fault the NPS; they are just trying to find a way to fund deferred maintenance and handle increased user traffic after being chronically underfunded and understaffed.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

These are the most frequented parks and the most crowded. The fee increase is a "free market" attempt to ration visitors by pricing. You cut demand by raising the price. Of course it is of no consequence whatsoever to the wealthy and a distinct burden on the working class.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Another link to the proposal, including current and proposed rates: Fact Sheet and Current and Proposed Fee Rates Spreadsheet.pdf

I'd expect the new rates to be out of reach for some, reducing park usage and maintenance needs, which is probably the main goal at these high-traffic parks. No question that the entire NP system needs better maintenance. Yellowstone, Everglades and Mesa Verde all looked sadly worn-down when I (re)visited a couple years ago. I wish there was a better solution.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Hits 4 of the 5 National Parks here in UT. $50 to ride your bike from Springdale, UT through the corner of Zionís NP to Mt. Carmel Junction and on to Bryce. I donít fault the NPS; they are just trying to find a way to fund deferred maintenance and handle increased user traffic after being chronically underfunded and understaffed.

Best,
    DG
    I think your fee you pay is for however many parks you enter in the time period you pay for.

One of the advantages of becoming old is you get one of these. The price has gone up, but you quickly recoup your entrance fees from the earlier years by using one of these.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    I think your fee you pay is for however many parks you enter in the time period you pay for.

One of the advantages of becoming old is you get one of these. The price has gone up, but you quickly recoup your entrance fees from the earlier years by using one of these.

Chris
    I have that, and itís great, but that doesnít help the working-age stiff who is humping two jobs to pay the bills and try to have a shot at taking his kids camping in a National Parkówhich are supposedly owned by all US citizens. ☹️

DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST -- 1988 R100GS "Bee"-- 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C -- 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Another link to the proposal, including current and proposed rates: Fact Sheet and Current and Proposed Fee Rates Spreadsheet.pdf

I'd expect the new rates to be out of reach for some, reducing park usage and maintenance needs, which is probably the main goal at these high-traffic parks. No question that the entire NP system needs better maintenance. Yellowstone, Everglades and Mesa Verde all looked sadly worn-down when I (re)visited a couple years ago. I wish there was a better solution.
    Of course there is a better solution: appropriate sufficient funds to maintain our national treasures. And the rest of our neglected infrastructure too. Why is that too much to expect?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by daboo View Post
    Unfortunately the entrance fee is per park, and covers one to seven days at that one park. One exception is at the adjoining Grand Teton & Yellowstone Parks, where you get a slight break on a combined pass, if you purchase it on entry to the first park.

I do not see any plans to change the cost of the America the Beautiful Interagency Annual Pass ($80) for non-seniors, which covers all parks for an entire year. That will become a more attractive option for anyone who thinks they might visit another national park that year, possibly even encouraging more park use.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

When you pick up your senior pass, be sure to get stickers for your bikes and open trucks.

I received six free stickers for my bikes. They are good until 12-31-2018, then you need to go in and get them replaced free annually.

Still a heck of a deal at $80.

Quote Originally Posted by tincup View Post
    When you pick up your senior pass, be sure to get stickers for your bikes and open trucks.

I received six free stickers for my bikes. They are good until 12-31-2018, then you need to go in and get them replaced free annually.

Still a heck of a deal at $80.
    This is the first I've heard of stickers. I assume these are to satisfy the need to display the pass, without exposing the pass to theft?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

A few years ago on a wandering to Daytona Bike Week trip I bought my $10 Pass at a State Park in GA. (Okefenokee Swamp) where they honored NP Passes. Good for the State of GA ! The desk there said there was a $5 State Park fee or I could have a NP Pass for $10.

I'll take stuff when it is priced for seniors, but I honestly think that it's not fair to all when the "Government" charges you a fee to stand on property that we already own. I think that all Parks should be FREE (or $2 maximum per vehicle or $2 /person). A family should not be shut out because they cannot afford to see property they already own. And the same for State Parks. Nothing ruins a stop more than "that will be $4 (reasonable) to $10 to sit at that picnic table for 15 minutes".

My opinion is that a 700% increase in a fee/cost says poor Management and Planning by people that we are paying to do just that.

Charlie