Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: US National Park Pass Price Increase for Seniors

US National Park Pass Price Increase for Seniors

Many people already know this, but in case someone did not, the Senior Pass for National Parks and a few others entry fee places has been $10 since 1994. On August 28, 2017, this fee is increasing to $80. It's a lifetime pass and available to those 62 years of age and older.

They're available at National Parks, and also by mail. That said, it seems that the price increase has dramatically increased demand the wait time is about three months by mail. Here are some FAQs about the program: https://store.usgs.gov/faq#New-Senior-Pass-Update
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Many people already know this, but in case someone did not, the Senior Pass for National Parks and a few others entry fee places has been $10 since 1994. On August 28, 2017, this fee is increasing to $80. It's a lifetime pass and available to those 62 years of age and older.

They're available at National Parks, and also by mail. That said, it seems that the price increase has dramatically increased demand the wait time is about three months by mail. Here are some FAQs about the program: https://store.usgs.gov/faq#New-Senior-Pass-Update
    NPS is projecting a staff reduction of 4200 in the next year to meet projected budget goals. Don't get in a hurry for that pass.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Screw the park pass. (I'm 70. ) I'll ride on The Blue Ridge Parkway. That's all the park I need and it's free.
    2015 R nineT

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    Screw the park pass. (I'm 70. ) I'll ride on The Blue Ridge Parkway. That's all the park I need and it's free.
    We just visited 11 NP's using the pass I got last year. Never got so much for so little. And what beautiful sights to behold. The BRP is a great ride but there is so much more to experience. I hope you reconsider if you haven't already visited these treasures.

It's not just for National Park admission. Bought mine at a nearby National Forest Service office. The half-price savings on two nights' campground fees at Dumont Lake and Black Canyon of the Gunnison more than paid for it.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I went to five national parks in Utah and Yellowstone in the last couple months. It more than paid for itself.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
    John 14:6

I lived about two miles from the BRP for several years. It is wonderful to behold indeed, but if that's where you set your limits, then you are indeed cheating yourself.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    It's not just for National Park admission. Bought mine at a nearby National Forest Service office. The half-price savings on two nights' campground fees at Dumont Lake and Black Canyon of the Gunnison more than paid for it.
    In my humble opinion, in the East, you are more likely to use it at Forest Service sites than NPS sites.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

My senior pass has saved me bundles, personal record 3 parks in one day!!

Geezer pass

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    NPS is projecting a staff reduction of 4200 in the next year to meet projected budget goals. Don't get in a hurry for that pass.
    Lots of places you can get them besides National parks , my wife and I purchased ours at National Great Rivers Museum near Alton, Illinois. We also could have purchased them at the Lincoln sites in Springfield

Here's the list by state where to purchase passes:

https://store.usgs.gov/sites/default...suanceList.pdf
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I spent 31 years in the Army. I will never "camp" again.

I think our park system is GREAT but in 70 years and I've been there and done that. I'm not going to pay $80 to do it again. Besides, in my old age I like to go where other people don't go.
    2015 R nineT

The point is, GF, you can get the life time pass for $10 if you do it now. I also spent 27 years sleeping in the rocks or wait-a-minute vines like a lizard. Camping is different now.... they let you have wine.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Thats the way to do it if you can. We were to young for the senior pass and spent a bundle at several Nat'l parks in Colorado. Rocky mountain park was $20 day pass per motorcycle...seemed a bit step when most other parks are half price for bikes.