• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camheads and Hexheads and Top Mileage Obtained

baronk

We all hear a lot about how many miles a rider has traveled and the awards they can garner; but are there any records of how many miles bikes have logged and how an owner explains some of the major miles they have gotten out of their bikes and how they keep them running despite the bikes age and high mileage? I have never seen this type data anywhere. If this type data has never been collected it could be an interesting read and be a possible research project for publication.

I think you need to clarify what the question(s) is(are).

Are you asking how people put so many miles on their bikes?
Are you asking how people kept their bikes running for so many miles?
Are you asking where people went who put that many miles on their bikes?
Are you asking if there is a mileage based award/records - per bike?

Clarification please.

My response would be - R1200R's are notoriously reliable. I just get on mine and go wherever my brain tells me to. That's included several trips across the US and back, trips to Canada, trips down south and lots of local (500 miles or less) riding. I just tend to ride a bit. I get on mine and go - it always gets me where I'm going and brings me back. I generally service it myself - by the book. Biggest expense is fuel and tires.

BTW - I think you might include CAMHEADS in the question - they're basically the same engine, just a different cylinder head.

Good point to include camheads. What I was offering was a question to forum readers about hexheads, and now also camheads, that in their owners opinion their bike(s) had been driven, per the odometer, what they considered a considerable number of miles, by bike, lets say 80,000 and up, and how they might explain the manner in which they maintained their bike(s) to have achieved this high mileage, by bike.
I have only suggested a starting point of 80,000 miles to clarify my proposed idea and as I had read somewhere that BMW had offered this # as a manufacturing goal they had for their bikes to reach without any major repairs. Is this helpful?

2013RT, 87000 miles in 48months, 20 days, 11 sets of tires, 11 6000mile services, loads of fun...add to that 9000 miles on a 15 S1000R on third set of tires....

i like to ride...:thumb

Perhaps a forum administrator can change the title of this thread on the index page as titled above?

Not a hex/cam head, but I put 200,000 miles on an airhead, R60/5. I did all the maintenance myself. Just changed the oil, plugs and points, original clutch. I would have to check the log about brake pads, I don't remember if I had to change them. I did have to replace the rear fender once when a car behind me didn't wait for me to start when a light turned green.

The respondents above are certainly dedicated riders. I wonder if Wyman.winn does his own maintenance?

My '07RT has 147K kms on it. The fpc failed several years ago, replaced it and no problems since. The recalls were all attended to. Although the infamous final drive bearing gave no indication of failing, I replaced it myself at 142K kms. Naturally the bearing was still good...I do all my own maintenance and find there is less servicing required than on my old '83RT (that I put 220k kms on). Unless the engine or transmission blew up, I would just replace the failed components and ride on. However, my opinion might be different if I too had suffered some of the same misfortunes others have. Gary.

I'm now at 182000km on my 07

So far, besides normal maintenance and recalls, I had to replace my rear ISA strut at 70,000km and my drive shaft rear U-Joint seized last month. (Which also wrecked my swing arm :cry)
I just replaced the brake rotors
I do my own maintenance and replaced everything myself.

Last edited:
Major repairs are not so bad if you can save the labor costs with self repair. I recently changed out the brake modulator on my '05 RT after doing a lot of research. Still pricey with only 35K miles but
I learned a lot and had a great sense of accomplishment. It is also great to hear from folks with a lot of miles on their bikes.

My 2011 Camhead's not high mileage YET. 38,500 after four years in service, dealer NOS purchased in January of 2013. Couple issues, fuel strip, need third one installed, replaced rear ABS sensor, replaced in one service transmission input shaft seal, counter balance shaft seal and clutch. Bike is comfortable and runs like a champ, looking forward to many miles now only if i was born rich instead of handsome, I wouldn't need to work and could really rack up some miles.

2012 RT 107,000 miles

Yes do my own maintenance. Only problem occurred at about 90k... bought some bad gas. When removing gas tank, fuel pump flange cracked, causing need for fuel pump replacement. :wave

We all hear a lot about how many miles a rider has traveled and the awards they can garner; but are there any records of how many miles bikes have logged and how an owner explains some of the major miles they have gotten out of their bikes and how they keep them running despite the bikes age and high mileage? I have never seen this type data anywhere. If this type data has never been collected it could be an interesting read and be a possible research project for publication.
2010RT purchased new, now has 219,000 miles. I do most of the maintenance but not all. Failures: Final drive bearing and drive shaft u-joints both going at 105,000, now have re-greasable u-joints from Bruno in Ontario. I use what I consider good oil but not synthetic. Oh, I'm on my 3rd set of wheel bearings.

Thanks for that high mileage and maintenance info. The "re-greasable" implementation is a great plan. I wonder if others are aware of the details of how to do this? Has this been shared at this site before?

2010RT purchased new, now has 219,000 miles. I do most of the maintenance but not all. Failures: Final drive bearing and drive shaft u-joints both going at 105,000, now have re-greasable u-joints from Bruno in Ontario. I use what I consider good oil but not synthetic. Oh, I'm on my 3rd set of wheel bearings.

damn!!! guess i better get a move on....LOL:scratch

good job on the mileage....:thumb

Mileage

2010 RT that I purchased in 2015 with 18K KMs. It now has 120K KMs, and charging hard. Winter maintenance consists of the usual items - fluids, brake inspection/flush, a good cleaning. No major failures so far, but I have a long way to go to keep up with you guys...

Marlen in Edmonton.

2005 R1200GS with 228,000 miles on the odometer. But I bought it used with 36,000 miles so have yet to put "my" 200,000 on it.

Back