• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lithium Battery for 2007 R1200S

ironstomach

Does anyone have experience putting a lithium ion battery into a 2007 R1200S?
My online research points me towards:

https://bikemaster.com/batteries/lithium-ion-batteries/dlfp-14-bs-lithium-ion-battery.html

The only thing I am worry about is whether I will need shims to properly locate the battery in the factory battery box. Aside from that, I also know that I have to buy a battery charger specifically designed to recharge lithium ion batteries. Any further information/suggestions?

I notice there's a number of entries in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. Check them out and see if there's some info there! Also, use the tag cloud below, type in lithium, and click on any entries that show up.

Lithium battery

I know a local kid with a hoverboard who will probably sell you a lithium battery pretty cheaply. :)

Friedle

Iron, man.

Does anyone have experience putting a lithium ion battery into a 2007 R1200S?
My online research points me towards:

https://bikemaster.com/batteries/lithium-ion-batteries/dlfp-14-bs-lithium-ion-battery.html

The only thing I am worry about is whether I will need shims to properly locate the battery in the factory battery box. Aside from that, I also know that I have to buy a battery charger specifically designed to recharge lithium ion batteries. Any further information/suggestions?

This battery is a Lithium IRON battery, not a Lithium ION battery which is a good thing. I have a Shorei Lithium Iron battery on my 2011 GSA. It requires a special charger as you mention. I have conventional batteries on my other bikes and use battery maintainers if I am not riding them enough. Probably would not have gone with the Shorei again. It is very light weight but I don't feel I have gained anything by going that way. Odyssey batteries have given me fantastic service with a very long life but at the time I was replacing my stock battery, Odyssey did not have a one that fit my bike.

Fits Like a Glove

The BikeMaster Lithium Ion battery DLFP14-BS fits like a glove into the battery compartment of my 2007 R1200S. No shims needed at all, and well secured by the factory retaining strap. The special charger hasn't arrived yet, but the battery was charged up enough to crank the engine without any problems. The main reason that I went the Lithium Ion route is only partially because of the reduced weight, more important for me is the shelf life of the charge. I may be able to store the bike over the Winter and not have to worry about the battery running low! I do have a battery tender installed too, so battery maintenance would be a snap.

Back