• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Change handlebars on a 1976 BMW R90S

d3vil

Hi!

I`ve just recently bought a 1976 BMW R90S, which has been partially converted to R100S in terms of engine and the fairings on it.
The thing is that I don`t think the previous owner has changed the handlebar on this bike, because when I turn the bike around it touches the fairing in the front due to its curving shape. It isn`t noticable when driving though.
So my question is, if I find a original handlebar for a R100S, will the cables to the handlebar controls fit to? Or will they be to short and must be replaced? Because I don`t know if there is different cable lengths on the R90S and the R100S.

Thanks!

Sounds like some one did a frame mount conversion on the fairing. Stock, the fairing mounts to the fork/trees and turns with the bars. Can you post some pics?

Welcome to the forum! It might work. Below is the info from RealOEM. The clutch cables are the same part number and length. Can't tell on the accelerometer cables, though. It would seem that the length would be similar since the clutch cable is the same.

'76 R90S:
- accelerometer cables 32731236617 (no length given)
- clutch cable 32732324958 (1410mm)

'78 R100S
- accelerometer cables 32731236615 (1027mm)
- clutch cable 32732324958 (1410mm)

My '78 R100s came with the Luftmeister fairing, sorry to say, from the dealer new If my memory serves me correctly, I determined years later that the bars are for a R100/7 and I had to use the 32 73 2 324 956 Clutch cable 1520mm. It also has slightly raised off set bar mounts. hope this helps a little.

R 90 S handlebars``

I do believe the stock handlebars are the same on the R 90 S and the R100 S models. With the stock fairing mounts, at full lock the fairing clearance is close but doable. Make sure your gloves aren't too thick. :wave

Friedle

Somewhere along in '77/'78 some R100S's came to the states with USA bars and without the S fairing. Some were sold with Luftmeister fairings and dealer installed. Always causes confusion now to the unknowing.

I think the R100S USA model with the hi bars and sans S fairing led to the R100T around 1979. Some of the books on BMW motorcycle history kind of documents this model history. A big deal back in those days, now just a foot note in history.

R100S that came from factory with S fairing had same fairing and fairing mount system as R90S, the same handlebar, and essentially the same control cables. Control cable changes were required to accommodate the difference between Bing and DelOrto carbs of course ... these do not interchange.

Things like extra thick top triple clamps, bar backs, etc., complicate things, but of course these are aftermarket items.

The R100S that came without fairing (my dealer called mine an R100ST) were a USA-only phenomenon and I think they are not recognized in the parts system ... they certainly are irrelevant to this discussion.

In any event, the /7 nomenclature eventually disappeared and R100T was used for the fairingless model. In 1978--the only year for the fairingless R100S--that model differed from the basic R100/7 by having the S engine (same as RS), 2.91 final drive, mag wheels, rear disc brake, coweled seat, and the gauges that would have been in the fairing mounted in handlebar pods instead. They were S bikes through and through, modified I think at the USA distributor. By 1979 all R100 engines were the same, and fairingless bikes didn't come with coweled seats. Demand was high for "touring" fairings, and the R100RT arrived in 1979 to put an end to the "fairing-ready" nonsense that the 1978 special S model represented.

Not quite sure if this addresses the original post, but I ran "S" handle bars on my '78RS . Had to cut 3/4" off each bar end to keep them from rubbing the fairing. I did not have to change wire lengths or cable lengths.

handlebars 76 R 90 SS

Not quite sure if this addresses the original post, but I ran "S" handle bars on my '78RS . Had to cut 3/4" off each bar end to keep them from rubbing the fairing. I did not have to change wire lengths or cable lengths.

That would be due to the fact that the S bars were different from the RS bars. The RS bars were shorter and flatter than the S bars as you found out. :thumb

Kind of like trying to fit a 19" tire on an 18" rim. Just take that hacksaw, cut out a chunk of the tire, glue it back together and it will fit fine. Or you could just buy an 18" tire.

Friedle

S model

Holy smokes! Since we're talking about an old model that has the handlebars touching the fairing, then we most likely have a non stock bike. A few pictures may help understand the situation. Without that we're just speculating on what the bike looks like and what it has on it. Getting off on handlebars is a bit off the original post.

handlebars 76 R 90 S

Holy smokes! Since we're talking about an old model that has the handlebars touching the fairing, then we most likely have a non stock bike. A few pictures may help understand the situation. Without that we're just speculating on what the bike looks like and what it has on it. Getting off on handlebars is a bit off the original post.

The original question HAS been answered a number of times above. Only pictures can now tell us if we are dealing with a non stock situation bike.

Friedle

Back