• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Avon AM 26 Tires

kinterridge

Looking to change to a longer tread life tire on my R100S than the K70's offer. Any experience out there on the Avon AM26 with tubes on the Airheads? I ride 6 days a week all year, all weather, 7 days if all goes well. Thanks for any info, good or bad.

Looking to change to a longer tread life tire on my R100S than the K70's offer. Any experience out there on the Avon AM26 with tubes on the Airheads? I ride 6 days a week all year, all weather, 7 days if all goes well. Thanks for any info, good or bad.

I had a set on my R75/5 and they wear very well in the rain.

That being said, I installed a set of Michelin Pilot Activ's on my R90s and I'm even more impressed.

Thanks for the info, I've had the Michelins as well, couple pair, I really liked them but I just didn't get the life out of them I had hoped.

Not sure what model Avon tire but

Hello, just giving my two cents.
I am not sure of the model tires I have had from Avon but, I have had three of them. While they had plenty of tread left on them, they developed cracks in the tread. A note to Avon did not result in any action on their part.
As such, I will not purchase any Avon tires. St.

Thanks for the info, that's kind of information I'm looking for. I'll have to look hard at reviews on them elsewhere. I've only seen two reviews before, both were pleased with the wear.

Avon tires

I have run them on my 1974 airhead. I like the way they handle and wear is reasonable. I never experienced cracking. Probably will go back with them on the next change.

Avon Tires

I've used these tires and agree about the cracks. My preference is for the Bridgestone Spitfires. They work well for me in the rain, stick well when dry and last long enough to keep me happy.
Of course, we all have preferences in tires and this has provided us with the dreaded tire thread, surpassed only by the oil thread.

Avon tires

Three years ago, just prior to an 8,000 km trip, I had installed a brand new set of Road Riders. Two days and 2,000 kms later I experienced a rear tire blowout. The shop doing the flat repair informed me that a label about the size of a postage stamp inside the tire had abraded its way through the tube. It looked to be made of plastic or Mylar and was an unseen boobytrap. I never did dismount the front tire to check but so far so good. Happily I found that the grip in the rain was very good and, now at 12,000 kms, the rear tire still has around 5,000 kms of tread left and the front only half worn. YMMV!
Russ

the label thing in Avons

I had the same problem. After taking off the tire, the shop repairman (Rosie Toes) in Toronto noticed that silver label in there and said that what probably caused the premature puncture. How does this happen? I'll always check my tire interior before i put on another tire. But besides that, i really love my Avons and find them very comfortable and sticky in the rain.

the label thing in Avons

Perhaps they did not think that anyone would mount their tires with tubes. I agree that everyone should personally inspect the inside of every tire they acquire. These tires have the stiffest sidewalls that I have encountered and, even with my wife and son holding the wheel, I could not mount the Avons with my longest irons. Good luck doing a field repair.
Russ

I chose to purchase the Avons, no label inside. Mounted and balanced nicely on Friday. Rode 2 up this weekend 300+ miles, and 15 miles yesterday in a downpour of rain on my commute home, no issues on either ride. Great handling and smooth ride.
One downside, unrelated to the tires. I decided to replace the front wheel bearings and seals, my local dealer informed me they no longer stock Airhead parts but can order them, discouraging when you want the parts now, but I ordered them, took a week. Any way the Avons are splendid for now, time will tell.

I decided to replace the front wheel bearings and seals, my local dealer informed me they no longer stock Airhead parts but can order them, discouraging when you want the parts now, but I ordered them, took a week.

I encounter that pretty much all the time. Usually I'm not in a hurry so having them shipped in is no big deal. You might consider spending more time at the dealer, just stopping by and chatting...maybe you can find a mechanic or even the parts guy that rides older Airheads. I know my parts guy pretty well...we've swapped places to find BBQ! Anyway, there have been a few times when I went in to get something, no particular hurry, but he puts it on the overnight shipment...no extra charge. Just being nice, I guess, but I'm certainly OK with that!! I can buy my tires somewhere cheaper, but I choose to invest in my dealer and get it with them...I think that translates to a little better service once in a while. :thumb

Back