Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lights not working - no, it's not the bulbs :)

5 terminals.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/685...yABEgI2XPD_BwE

or almost any auto part store. Some have molded on mounting tab (easy to cut off)

Diagramatrically... is that a real word?

Anyway, here's what you get;

85 or 86 are the "trigger" terminals. One of them is hot (let's say 85), the other is grounded, machts nicht which one, power on/off operates a tiny magnet in the relay
    30 is the power source you are directing
    87 is powered until the current is removed from 85 (or interrupting the ground wire)
    at which point the power is directed over to 87a.
    One of the other is always "on". To kill both 87 and 87a you interrupt power to 30

The four terminal version operates exactly the same, except without 87a, it functions only as a simple on/off switch.

eidt -Bosch relay 61361391397 is described as a "diode starter relay".
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

The new relay arrived, I plugged it in and ... nothing. The problem is still there.

So I tried a few other things but haven't solved the problem, yet. For example bringing 12 V directly from the battery via jumper cable to the fuse terminal gets all lights, indicator and horn working except the tail light ... but the tail light works on the parking position of the keyed main switch.

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    5 terminals.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/685...yABEgI2XPD_BwE

or almost any auto part store. Some have molded on mounting tab (easy to cut off)

Diagramatrically... is that a real word?

Anyway, here's what you get;

85 or 86 are the "trigger" terminals. One of them is hot (let's say 85), the other is grounded, machts nicht which one, power on/off operates a tiny magnet in the relay
    30 is the power source you are directing
    87 is powered until the current is removed from 85 (or interrupting the ground wire)
    at which point the power is directed over to 87a.
    One of the other is always "on". To kill both 87 and 87a you interrupt power to 30

The four terminal version operates exactly the same, except without 87a, it functions only as a simple on/off switch.

eidt -Bosch relay 61361391397 is described as a "diode starter relay".
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorgenroth View Post
    The new relay arrived, I plugged it in and ... nothing. The problem is still there.

So I tried a few other things but haven't solved the problem, yet. For example bringing 12 V directly from the battery via jumper cable to the fuse terminal gets all lights, indicator and horn working except the tail light ... but the tail light works on the parking position of the keyed main switch.
    Looking at Lew's diagram, check the terminals where the relay plugs in. I'm assuming you jumpered from battery to 87, is there power at 30? Is there power at 86 and ground at 85?
    I just reread your post: " bringing 12 V directly from the battery via jumper cable to the fuse terminal" Do you mean terminal 30? Is there no power to that from the fuse? is there power at the fuse itself?
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack

For example bringing 12 V directly from the battery via jumper cable to the fuse terminal gets all lights, indicator and horn working
    please clarify; which side of the fuse "terminal", the side that goes into the fuse, or the side that leads from the fuse to the lights.

If the fuse is "good", obviously the problem lies upstream toward the switch., or the switch itself. Yes? A broken/corroded conductor perhaps (inside the insulation)?

Kurt, is this the diagram you're referencing?

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Kurt, is this the diagram you're referencing?
    Not quite even though the diagram you show is from Haynes for an R100GS though it appears to be a 1988 model (per the link in the Links and References thread). I was looking at a 1991-on diagram...my Haynes distinguishes between pre 1991 and 1991-on GS models, so maybe there are some differences.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Heartbeat of my R100GS Guenther's Avatar
    The load shed relay ('Entlastungsrelais') BMW #61 31 1 459 677 is the one that controls horn and lights over fuse #4.

Tail light is on fuse #2, break light is on fuse #1.

The load shed relay is pulled close with ignition key in the ON position. This relay opens when the starter relay ('Anlassrelais) is closed (pushing the starter button).

You can test a removed load shed relay by connecting spade #85 and #86 to 12V (doesn't matter which is plus and minus). You should hear a 'click' when it closes. When closed the relay's spades #30 and #87 are connected.

When inserted spade #30 is connected unswitched/unfused to the battery and #87 connects to fuse #4.

/Guenther

Detail taken from a R100GS '91+ diagram from 2-ventiler.de - full diagram in next reply!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Guenther; 08-07-2017 at 03:11 PM.

Per Guenther's request, I've uploaded a PDF file which goes along with the previous post.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!