• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How did it go?

How about the porkies big open spot they have a fair size music festival there (Porcupine Mountains Music Festival, info at porkiesfestival.org ) if not MOA perhaps BMWRA.

We stayed in a dorm room for the 2008 RA National.
Nice area, but I wonder if the same site used by the RA can handle 5,000 people.

Check the size of the school's football stadium or basketball arena....

Part of my reason for going to the rally was to visit with my daughter, grandson, and son-in-law in Olathe, KS. I was there for an hour when their dog, which I have always been leery of, bit me on the leg, the calf area. That necessitated a visit to the local hospital for treatment, a tetanus shot, and antibiotics for 5 days. No major damage; no stitches required. All part of the adventure. From there I went on to Durango, CO where I camped for two nights and did "the loop," up the Million Dollar Highway to Silverton and Ouray, then back by way of Telluride. I rode to the rally from there.

The folks at Twisted Throttle installed a louder horn on my GS: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-soundbomb-mini-electromagnetic-low-tone-motorcycle-horn
Universal Japanese bikes of the past all had dual "pancake" horns...my expensive BMW bike had a single pathetic pancake horn. Why, BMW? I also bought a Helite vest, at which time I was almost hoping someone would take protective custody of my credit cards...

I made it back home in good, albeit hot weather. Also, the Hamburg rally site just got hit with a tornado this morning...with damage to parked cars and buildings.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/buffalo/news/2017/07/20/tornado-rips-through-fairgrounds-in-hamburg.html

Harry

Annie and I also bought Helite vests. We were planning to do so before the rally, but after I was a demonstrator in their vender's stall I was sold. Even tho expecting it, the inflation was startling. Like getting a hug from Hulk Hogan and being in a steel neck brace. :thumb

Annie and I also bought Helite vests. We were planning to do so before the rally, but after I was a demonstrator in their vender's stall I was sold. Even tho expecting it, the inflation was startling. Like getting a hug from Hulk Hogan and being in a steel neck brace. :thumb

The demonstration dummies are selected based on their good looks..........

My fifth straight rally, and like others I was put off by the early reports of the pending record heat. Nonetheless, hard to call ourselves 'adventure riders' if we don't camp in triple digit temps once in a while, right? I arrived early Wednesday and was fortunate to find a shady, grassy spot next to a building with an outdoor outlet (free phone charging), drinking fountain (with chilled water) and some of the nicest restrooms ever for a fairground. Yes, it was hot during the day, but that's when we climbed on our bikes and went to Park City, or attended a few seminars. I cannot thank the volunteer efforts enough for all they they do. The mobile showers were also very nice, and quite honestly, with all of the wildfires in the west, I'm surprised that there were any showers available. Kudos to everyone who made this happen.

My fifth straight rally, and like others I was put off by the early reports of the pending record heat. Nonetheless, hard to call ourselves 'adventure riders' if we don't camp in triple digit temps once in a while, right? I arrived early Wednesday and was fortunate to find a shady, grassy spot next to a building with an outdoor outlet (free phone charging), drinking fountain (with chilled water) and some of the nicest restrooms ever for a fairground. Yes, it was hot during the day, but that's when we climbed on our bikes and went to Park City, or attended a few seminars. I cannot thank the volunteer efforts enough for all they they do. The mobile showers were also very nice, and quite honestly, with all of the wildfires in the west, I'm surprised that there were any showers available. Kudos to everyone who made this happen.

Your 7th post in a decade?

This kind of excessive, attention-grabbing submissions will not be tolerated for long! :dance

(LOL)

I thought this years event was great and very well done, so much so that I hung around Sunday to volunteer with the coffee crew, thanks for making me feel welcome guys. This was my 4th rally and I loved every minute, meet some great people and started some friendships. Very nice to get to Utah, never been there before it was something to see. Heat put off my return plans through Moab and some of the southern states, to a more northern route with three days of "super slab" to home, but there's always another time and I should save something for later I guess. I was a little shocked the attendance was only 4,200, seems kind of low also it appears that everyone had pretty much arrived by Thursday noon as all the prime shady spots had been sucked up for days, oh well need to get around sooner I guess. Looking forward to Des Moines, more volunteer time and site seeing. See you there.

Slc

I had a great time! Just as Greg Feeler said, it is my annual family reunion.

I've noticed a few posts in this thread suggesting future Rally sites. There is a list of requirements on this web site that must be followed for any site to be considered. With that in mind, by all means, send your recommendations for future Rally sites to our board of directors. They have a Rally site committee to look into all suggestions; so maybe your suggestion will become a future site!

Your 7th post in a decade?

This kind of excessive, attention-grabbing submissions will not be tolerated for long! :dance

(LOL)

I noticed that too. I had no idea I was such a wallflower around this joint, given that I always seem to be reading the banter

Michigan tech or Finlandia University in the Houghton, Hancock area.
University of Minnesota at Duluth, The College of St. Scholastica or Spirit mountain in Duluth
Bayfield, La Pointe area of Wisconsin.
Any of these areas no real need for air conditioning so stuff could be in tents etc.

I'll chime in here, FWIW - - An 'RA rally was held in Houghton awhile back, great site. I spend a fair bit of time in the Ashland/Bayfield/Cornucopia area
and love it up there. But: One of 'MOAs wants for a rally site is about 2000 hotel rooms in about a 30 mile radius. MOA rallies are bigger than 'RA
events (which I like IMHO), which gives each a differing flavor and differing site requirements. Duluth/Superior <might> manage this, if there's a
site with the enclosed square footage for the rally itself...

I'll chime in here, FWIW - - An 'RA rally was held in Houghton awhile back, great site. I spend a fair bit of time in the Ashland/Bayfield/Cornucopia area
and love it up there. But: One of 'MOAs wants for a rally site is about 2000 hotel rooms in about a 30 mile radius. MOA rallies are bigger than 'RA
events (which I like IMHO), which gives each a differing flavor and differing site requirements. Duluth/Superior <might> manage this, if there's a
site with the enclosed square footage for the rally itself...

When I was on the Rally Site Selection team we checked out Duluth/superior. Even up as far as Two Harbors. Unfortunately there's nothing big enough to accommodate The MOA. RA maybe

I thought the SLC rally went very well. True it was hot, but we all expected that. There were plenty of food options, vendors and interesting conversations. I was also blown away by the performance of James Intveld
on Saturday night. What a great band!

I thought the SLC rally went very well. True it was hot, but we all expected that. There were plenty of food options, vendors and interesting conversations. I was also blown away by the performance of James Intveld
on Saturday night. What a great band!

What he/she said, plus: The Hawaiian chicken was awesome. The Korean bowl cart kept running out of food before I could get some. Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys were a nice fit on Friday night.

Back