• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How did it go?

I think this was the lowest attendance of any rally in the last 2 decades. I worked registration and our app said just under 3000 pre registered. Friday was really slow, and thursday was not very busy either. I am sure there were a good number of day passes on saturday, but I
am interested in seeing the final tally.

RA National in "Cool Country"

The RA just had their National Rally on the shores of Lake Michigan in Petoskey the week before. Sunny and 75 F for riding, dark and 65 F for sleeping in a tent. 3 beautiful sunsets over the lake from your tent. Lots of green grass, good Beer, Music and Twisty roads 2 miles away. Nice bunch of riders with 950 in attendance.

The RA just had their National Rally on the shores of Lake Michigan in Petoskey the week before. Sunny and 75 F for riding, dark and 65 F for sleeping in a tent. 3 beautiful sunsets over the lake from your tent. Lots of green grass, good Beer, Music and Twisty roads 2 miles away. Nice bunch of riders with 950 in attendance.

Where is it next year?

RA Rally 2018

The RA isn't ready to announce the location for next year yet. A little more planning needed to make sure it will be another great rally. Keep your eyes on the website! and make sure your a member. http://bmwra.org/

We have to great BMW clubs...

Bob

Another great MOA rally party

I want to take time to thank the MOA for another great national rally.
This was my 34th national and I have seen so many improvements over the years.
For the past 6 or 7 years my wife and I along with other members of the BMW Club of Indianapolis have arrived on Monday and volunteered to work during set up.
If you think the national rally happens by magic, show up early and say "what can I do to help" and you will get a feel for just how much goes into making a national happen.
Everything from getting the vendors registered and set up, to port-o-johns, the shower trucks, the mugs, pins and patches, the door prizes generously given by the vendors. The effort that goes into a rally is too much to imagine.
Some people show up as early a Sunday to layout the charter club camping area, and fight for extra space when additional people show unexpected.
We always invite people passing by to camp with us if there is additional space. And if we are lucky enough to get a new be rally goer it is a real hoot.
If anyone has a problem with anything that took place at a national, just jump up and volunteer to take charge of that area and help to improve it.
Looking forward to as many more rallies as I can squeeze in before my ride ends.
Wayne Garrison

Last edited:
I want to take time to thank the MOA for another great national rally.
This was my 34th national and I have seen so many improvements over the years.
For the past 6 or 7 years my wive and I along with other members of the BMW Club of Indianapolis have arrived on Monday and volunteered to work during set up.
If you think the national rally happens by magic, show up early and say "what can I do to help" and you will get a feel for just how much goes into making a national happen.
Everything from getting the vendors registered and set up, to port-o-johns, the shower trucks, the mugs, pins and patches, the door prizes generously given by the vendors. The effort that goes into a rally is too much to imagine.
Some people show up as early a Sunday to layout the charter club camping area, and fight for extra space when additional people show unexpected.
We always invite people passing by to camp with us if there is additional space. And if we are lucky enough to get a new be rally goer it is a real hoot.
If anyone has a problem with anything that took place at a national, just jump up and volunteer to take charge of that area and help to improve it.
Looking forward to as many more rallies as I can squeeze in before my ride ends.
Wayne Garrison

Thanks for being 'that guy.'

I've been on the heavy lifting side of an MOA rally, and you're so right - they don't just materialize out of the mist like Brigadoon.

A ton of work by a ton of volunteers.

Glad you help! :thumb

I really had a good time at the rally. Its only my third (Spokane and Redmond before this which were both in the same temperature range), and was about what I hoped it would be. It was hot, but I was one of the lucky ones who secured a bit of shade; It helps to have a tiny one man tent that will fit into the remaining spaces between the bigger tents. Once I found a water source to keep refilling my reusable bottle, I was good to go. It would have been nice if the nights had cooled off a bit more for sleeping.

Some of the seminars I attended (and enjoyed) were in AC, others were not. I toured most of the vendors and spent more than I intended and have a shopping list for some of the others. Had to temper the purchases so as not to get dinged at the border for duty, plus limited packing space.

Most importantly though was making great new friendships. The people I ended up camping near were a lot of fun and I spent a lot of time in good conversation. I talked to a lot of others around the rally as well and no one was ever complaining about the site or the weather. Everyone was just taking it in and having a good time sharing common interests. Thanks to all who did the work to make it a good time.

Salt Lake Report

Though around 100F in the afternoons, it was easy to have a good time. Many interesting vendor displays and demonstrations. My only minor "complaint" was that the food available was just "carnival food" unless you wanted to leave the site, hop on the train and go downtown (which I did, after figuring out the train system.)

This was my first BMW rally, and I had a blast! The ride to the rally (just under 2000 miles) was cooler than expected. We were rained on three of the five days, and the temps were in the 80's until we got to I-15. SLC was miserably hot, and we didn't move the bikes until we left for the return trip to AL. Not home yet, but should be back home Friday. Vendors were good. I spent more than planned, but missed some things I thought would have been at a BMW rally, like BMW branded goods, like caps & other soft goods. I attended a lot of seminars, and thought all that I attended were good. I just wish I could have attended more of them.

I know how hard it was to pull off this event ( I have hosted similar events). Congrats to all the crew! Great job!

Michigan tech or Finlandia University in the Houghton, Hancock area.
University of Minnesota at Duluth, The College of St. Scholastica or Spirit mountain in Duluth
Bayfield, La Pointe area of Wisconsin.
Any of these areas no real need for air conditioning so stuff could be in tents etc.

Hats off!

Hey , great rally, hot or homeless abound, what the hay,
To be able to ride a 10 to 30000$ machine hundreds or thousands of miles to hang out is one special moment. If ya wanna bitch, buy a Harley and then end up in the salt flats as your tranny just rattled off. Any rally is a hoot, none will be 100% to all. Bite the bullet, enjoy the ride, arrive and return safe, repeat. Pretty simple. Heres to the SLC crew!! Cheers!!:dance

Michigan tech or Finlandia University in the Houghton, Hancock area.
University of Minnesota at Duluth, The College of St. Scholastica or Spirit mountain in Duluth
Bayfield, La Pointe area of Wisconsin.
Any of these areas no real need for air conditioning so stuff could be in tents etc.

How about Marquette, Michigan at the Northern Michigan University?

If the school doesn't have summer classes or sports camps, it might work. Also, you can't have non-university adults in contact with students without a background check.

But, I really like the location.

Back