• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

12,000 RTW service.

rt_mike

All,

Very soon I will be performing the service on my bike. It's a 2014 that I had bought a hand full of months ago. I think I'm handy enough to do it and I have most of the tools needed. I will be getting the DVD manual and I need larger torx tips. Does anyone know the largest size torx that I will need? I have up to a T45. Thanks for any info!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just did the 12,000 mile service on my wethead GS. I have a decent tool collection from doing service on my oilhead RT but I needed two additional things: A 10mm hex bit socket (I think for the engine oil drain plug) and an ignition coil puller (the oilhead one is not compatible and the lame wethead tool kit doesn't include one). I was able to make due without the coil tool by using a screwdriver to leverage the coil out but I don't want to do that again. I have a coil tool on order now. I did buy the hex bit socket so I can torque the bolt down properly. I'm not sure what the largest Torx bit is that you need. My set goes to T50, I think T45 is the largest you need but wouldn't swear to it. Maintenance was easy, much faster than the oilhead.

You will also need a deep thin wall 14mm socket for the spark plugs and metric feeler gauges to check the valves.

The only thing that requires a T50 torx is the rear wheel.

The air cleaner is the worst part....but not that bad after the first time.

I agree that a coil puller is very necessary.

Ron

Regarding the air filter, my Haynes manual said to take off all kinds of body work but then mentioned that on the GS it's possible to replace it with only the body panel on top of the tank removed. I was worried about over-flexing fragile body panels but after completely removing the filter cover fasteners I was able to move the cover forward and out with minimal bending of panels. I will definitely continue with this method. Would have been a PITA to remove all the panels, this method took maybe ten minutes.

Regarding the coil puller, you really don't need one if you're handy with a flathead screw driver and some patience the first time around. You then lube the rubber bits and the inside of the coil with dielectric grease and then can now pull them out without a tool the second time around. The black cover cap keeps the coils from coming out anyway. YMMV

12k service on my GSA

Completing the 12K full service on my GSA...

At first glance, the plugs looked great (nice tan color) but I replaced them anyway following the recommended service schedule.

Looking at them closer with 2.75 cheater glasses, the electrodes are more eroded than I thought and expected. The electrodes are more "ovalish" or "rectangularish" than round.

It's not like they were in bad shape and probably would have been ok for another 12k but I'm glad I changed them. I'm sure the gap changed due to the erosion.

I've been following my own 4k oil change (engine & fd) interval (1 extra oil change; no big deal) but now plan to go with the standard 6k interval. The oil and fd drain plugs were perfect; no metal on the magnets.

Back