• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Kings Canyon National Park ride

cwhitaker

I am looking for advice/direction for riding in and around Kings Canyon National Park and Sequioia National Park. Starting ride from LA. Will be on 2016 GS1200. My email is cw5150@swbell.net or cell is 515-633-5776.

Thanks,
Chris Whitaker

Did both a month ago. The ride into Kings Canyon is a lot of fun but not much to do at the end other than camp and hike. Sequoia is all about the trees of course. And Yosemite is close with El Capitan and the Half Dome and Yosemite Falls. Beautiful. We stayed in Fresno and Tulare for decent hotels. What do you want to know?

Done this ride a couple times, starting from LA area, first night in Kernville (Kernville inn) via bodefish canyon. Don't forget to stop at old school house cafe in bodefish
Out of Kernville west on 155 then north on 65 to 198, back over to 99n to 41 second night Oakhurst
We usually head north on 49 and hit a couple of the Sierra passes on day 3
Where you go from there is only limited by the time you have available for trip
My only suggestion is Waite till after Labor Day as traffic in and around parks can be terrifying

Those looking to see Yosemite via Mariposa, forget it. The whole town is being evacuated due to wildfire. Hard closures on hwy 49 and 140.

John

Fire guys have managed to save Mariposa so far, great job. :dance

Fire at about 45 square miles burned so far. Prob. a good idea just to avoid whole area for now.

He gave his email and cell so I figure this isn't his preferred means of communication. And this is his one and only post thus far.

Back