Thread: Hyperpro Rear Shock Installation Question

Hyperpro Rear Shock Installation Question

Just received a new Hyperpro 466 shock from Tom Cutter, nice unit. I sent a note to Tom about an installation question but I believe he is in transit to the rally and I'm leaving tomorrow for a 3 day trip.

Here is my question. The offset at the top of the shock places the shock within 1/4" of the tire with the compression dial facing out, my old shock had the offset to the inside. If I move the offset to the inside the compression dial is not accessible but there is more rear tire clearance. The Haynes manual references this offset for a GS but not my bike. Any guidance is appreciated.
    Charlie
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

Charlie -

Not sure I'm much help...I don't find this discussed here on the forum. So, the 1/4" clearance is going to be an issue during suspension travel? Do you know the compression factor you're going to us already? If you do, you could install it with the offset inside and went on your trip, would that be a bad thing? You'd have more clearance (piece of mind) but you might have difficulty changing compression settings (annoyance). Sounds like it could be switched later.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Good thought Kurt, I think I have to adjust the settings which
    I could do then turn it around. If I hear from Tom before I do this I'll update the posting.
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS

It sounds like the upper eye is assembled wrong. The bushing should definitely extend toward the inside. Can you pull the bushing out and reverse it? I'm not familiar with the way that upper eye is built.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    It sounds like the upper eye is assembled wrong. The bushing should definitely extend toward the inside. Can you pull the bushing out and reverse it? I'm not familiar with the way that upper eye is built.
    Good thought, I tried to remove it but with only hand pressure for fear of damaging something. No luck. I went ahead and installed it with the compression adjustment to the inside, not too bad to access it from the battery compartment.

I think you are correct about being assembled incorrectly because the Hyperpro label is now facing out as it should be.
    Thanks,
    Charlie
    Charlie P.
    1992 R100R
    1996 R1100GS